Home made yoghurt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Last night I decided to make yoghurt, I didn't have any starter culture, so I used a couple of tablespoons of plain live organic yoghurt.
It was made in a wide mouth flask, and came out pretty well. I mixed in some home made strawberry jam this morning for flavour, and it's delicious. I made a litre of yoghurt and it was much cheaper than shop bought, plus no plastic tubs to recycle. It made itself while I slept, I started it early evening, about 7pm, and it was ready when I woke at 8.30.just in time for breakfast, drizzled over my cornflakes instead of just milk . I'll be doing this again, as shop yoghurt is so expensive. Even using organic milk, it's cheaper .by far than an equivalent organic brand. Chuffed!

Reactions: Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The missus makes fantastic yoghurt and, like you, when she needs to start a new culture just uses a live Greek style shop-bought yoghurt.

But, I have to disagree with you on one detail - it's best with home-made Blackcurrant jam :)

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The missus makes fantastic yoghurt and, like you, when she needs to start a new culture just uses a live Greek style shop-bought yoghurt.

But, I have to disagree with you on one detail - it's best with home-made Blackcurrant jam :)

Oh, I'd totaly agree but I don't have any blackcurrant jam left.
I put my haul of currants in my pals freezer, and she went to new Zealand for six months...no problem, I've plenty to last me, so I'll make it when she comes back.
First thing she said when I saw her..your currants are all gone. The freezer conked out while I was away, and everything defrosted, including the two trout you had in there.
Aaaaagh! :(

• Sad
Reactions: Broch

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Sounds good, did you heat it at all? I’ve heard of making it in a flask but not heard of any details, I presume you need to warm the milk a little ….

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Sounds good, did you heat it at all? I’ve heard of making it in a flask but not heard of any details, I presume you need to warm the milk a little ….
Yes, heat to about 100°then let cool to blood temperature, meanwhile warm a wide mouthed flask with boiling water , then add a couple of tablespoons of of good live yoghurt to the milk when its cooled to blood temp and stir well to distribute , empty flask of hot water, then put in the milk yoghurt mixture. Seal, wrap in a towel and leave in a warm place for about 12 hrs.
Wide mouth flask is important or it will be hard to get it out. Must be free of tea or coffee taint. I have one I keep specifically for yoghurt making.
There are plenty of how to's if you google "making yoghurt in a thermos".
I recently acquired a second hand be ro yoghurt maker (non electric) from a charity shop. The powdered mix to make your own they sell to go with this is stupid expensive, but I used the yoghurt maker to make this batch and it worked well.
You just fill it with boiling water, and put the milk yoghurt mix at lukewarm in a container that comes with it, and put that inside it, screw on the top and leave to work its magic overnight.
In the morning, take out the now perfect yoghurt and refrigerate untill needed. Easy peasy :)

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I’ve got an Easiyo yoghurt maker, which is basically a big plastic thermos with a shelf to hold a 1 L plastic tub to make the yoghurt in and to show you how much boiling water to fill it up with. It’s meant to be used with their sachets but you can just as easily use your own mixture. If you use UHT milk, you don’t need to heat the mixture up first. You just mix UHT milk, a table spoon or two of live yoghurt as a starter and, if you want, some milk powder.

What you use as the starter, does make a difference to the finished product, so it’s worth experimenting.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I’ve got an Easiyo yoghurt maker, which is basically a big plastic thermos with a shelf to hold a 1 L plastic tub to make the yoghurt in and to show you how much boiling water to fill it up with. It’s meant to be used with their sachets but you can just as easily use your own mixture. If you use UHT milk, you don’t need to heat the mixture up first. You just mix UHT milk, a table spoon or two of live yoghurt as a starter and, if you want, some milk powder.

What you use as the starter, does make a difference to the finished product, so it’s worth experimenting.

I've just realised that's what I have. I got the name wrong. Don't know where my brain cell is. :)

I had an old 1970s thing which works in a similar way, so just used the same technique with the easiyo as I used with that. It worked well. I didn't realise you used hot water in it, as it came with no instructions. Thanks Sara, I'll be able to use it properly now that I can see how it works. Much cheaper and quicker too, not having to heat the milk on the stove and wait for it to cool.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I've just realised that's what I have. I got the name wrong. Don't know where my brain cell is. :)

I had an old 1970s thing which works in a similar way, so just used the same technique with the easiyo as I used with that. It worked well. I didn't realise you used hot water in it, as it came with no instructions. Thanks Sara, I'll be able to use it properly now that I can see how it works. Much cheaper and quicker too, not having to heat the milk on the stove and wait for it to cool.
:) I think you need to heat it if using ordinary milk, but otherwise no need. Fill it up with boiling water to the tops of the peaks of the red shelf, put the inner tub on the shelf and leave for 8-12h (24h tops). Then let set in fridge until cold and you're good to go. If using your own yoghurt mixture you need to experiment with the timings a bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE