Question regarding knife carry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Hello,
First time posting on this forum!

I am a 16 year old who's family owns some forest in which I often practise bushcraft in. To get to this private land I have to cross a quiet (but still public) road.
Since I was 9, I had belt carried 4 inch+ knives across these 15ft of public area to get onto private land. It has only now come to my understanding that I may be breaking the law (either due to age, or general restrictions) when I belt carry a knife/hatchet/saw.
Do I need to keep them hidden away in a rucksack or similar to keep within the law?

The reason I was so unaware to this, is because I was stopped by a patrol car when I was only 10, carrying an air rifle on my back. They asked me what I was doing/where I was going -too which I replied- and drove off with no more questions.

I would be grateful if someone could clear this up.
Thanks.

James.

Jul 26, 2017
Peterborough
Short version - you can carry a fixed blade knife if you have 'reasonable excuse or cause' to do so. Practising bushcraft, although this is subjective, is a reasonable excuse for having a knife which is not a non-locking folder with a blade less than 3 inches. Note that for some knives there is no reasonable excuse - a ballisong for example or a flick knife are in a different category - I can't remember the specifics but let's just call them super banned.

So, be sensible and keep it in your bag until you get to the woods, you'll always be fine.

I asked basically the same question as you're asking of a police officer once and he basically said it comes down to you, what you look like and what the knife looks like - a non offensive bushcraft knife in a rucksack with other bushcraft related items and a polite and non threatening/polite person? Have a nice day sir. An arrogant yob on a park bench after dark with a 'zombie killer' type combat knife and a Stella.. bush-what? you're nicked mate.

Reactions: Moose

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
The basic answer is yes, if you're in a public place, put any blades into your rucksack - this means multitools, axes, saws etc aswell. It's easy to think 'it's only 15 foot' but as you've seen before there are police on it, and unfortunately (assuming you're in the UK) knives are a hot topic for them. If you're in Scotland also be aware of air rifle licensing. It's unfortunate but to err on the safe side pack everything in your 'sack at home and spend a few minutes getting them out once in the woods.
see section 139 of the criminal justice act 1988 for specifics.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/33/section/139

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Do I need to keep them hidden away in a rucksack or similar to keep within the law?

James.

Hi James,
Welcome to BCUK.
Apologies, I seem to have woken up with my pedant's hat on this morning. Whilst I entirely agree with the sensible precautions outlined by underground, I think it's important to be clear that the act of keeping them hidden in a rucksack doesn't technically keep you within the law in itself. You are still in possession of a bladed article in a public place and subject to needing a good reason. Personally, I think given the situation you describe you are fine and indeed would be even with your knife in a sheath on your belt. Given the current sensitivity on the subject however discretion is probably the better part of valour and whilst these precautions are perhaps mildly irksome, your time will be much better spent in the forest rather than debating the finer points of section 139 at your local police station.
Now that's out of the way....get out and have a great time in the woods. I'm mildly envious:)

Regards,
Dave

Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Thanks for the replies!
I think -from now on- I will be on the safe side and keep everything hidden when crossing.
Rather that than taking my chances with the perception of any policeman. :)

James.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Not a plan. Put the knife away in a pack until you need it. Otherwise, it has no more purpose than your toothbrush.
Never seen a dragon in the middle of a road that needed skinning and gutting (or a toothbrush).

Brynglas

Speaking as a Police Officer, regardless of any current sensitivities there may be around knives it's rarely a good plan to have knives or bladed articles carried visibly in public.

Practically speaking the likelihood of bumping into a cop in most areas is sadly very low, however, a police response would be generated were a 'wel meaning' member of the public to call in that they'd seen someone carrying a knife. In the current climate the degree of descretion that would be exercised by officers is limited.

My general advice to anyone approached by a Police Officer whilst carrying ay form of bladed article for bushcraft or outdoor pursuits would be to be polite and reasonable, explain the reason that you're carrying them and the use you're putting the tools to, hopefully you'll have a sensible and reasonable response. This is unlikely to work if what you're carrying is a very agressively bladed knife or something that is obviously not designed for bushcraft use.

Sent from my SM-T819 using Tapatalk

Brynglas

No it is not. The guy, 16 years of age, needs to cross a public road to get to his forest to have some fun. He is entitled to carry a blade. But he could be a victim of an ill informed Police guy, acting on a law that should not exist.

What happened to the notion of Civil disobedience? Shall we just bow to all the stupidity forced on us?
Like robots?

What if the Police guy finds matches on him, and fuel for his stove? Shall he arrest him as a possible Arsonist?

Come on guys!

Btw, why is the scabbard dedigned with a loop for the belt? To be worn on a belt of course!

I am not a rebel or anarchist. I am very law abiding citizen. Very. One criminal act and I will lose all my gun permits. But I refuse to follow all wet dreams the paperpushers invent.
Dad taught me that. I teach that to my son.
It's not a issue of 'paperpushers' inventing these laws on a whim, sadly knife crime is a serious issue in the UK and too many people, mostly young teenage lads are injured or killed on a regular basis. Whilst most people in the bushcraft community are highly responsible knife users but law can be a blunt instrument sometimes.

Civil disobedience as you describe it, is probablynte worst attitude to take. The patience of an already over-stretched police service with someone trying to make a point on an issue of principle is likely to result in discretion not being exercised.

Brynglas

A lad of 16 walking from his parent's house over a public road over to his parent's woodlsnd.
That is the situation we are asked about. Nothing else. Would a Police stop him and question him, possibly take him to the station if he/she was not happy with the lad's explanation?
If a Police Oficer saw a lad carrying a knife in public, he may well stop him and question him. Depending on whether the officer was satisfied that any explanation provided for the carrying of a bladed article was reasonable under the circumstances the lad may be allowed to carry on his way.

Alternatively, if the explanation is not considered reasonable under the circumstances, the knife may be seized for destruction, the lad reported for summons, or even arrested.

Brynglas

'In public' is a very wide term.
This guy asked a specific question. I repeat: from private property, over a public road, on to another public property.
Would a Police driving by and seeing his blade stop him? I hope not.
That depends on any number of circumstances. If they did, I'd hope they did so courteously and in a proportionate manner.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Speaking as a Police Officer, regardless of any current sensitivities there may be around knives it's rarely a good plan to have knives or bladed articles carried visibly in public.

Practically speaking the likelihood of bumping into a cop in most areas is sadly very low, however, a police response would be generated were a 'wel meaning' member of the public to call in that they'd seen someone carrying a knife. In the current climate the degree of descretion that would be exercised by officers is limited.

My general advice to anyone approached by a Police Officer whilst carrying ay form of bladed article for bushcraft or outdoor pursuits would be to be polite and reasonable, explain the reason that you're carrying them and the use you're putting the tools to, hopefully you'll have a sensible and reasonable response. This is unlikely to work if what you're carrying is a very agressively bladed knife or something that is obviously not designed for bushcraft use.

Absolutely, it makes no sense to draw attention to yourself whether you are keeping the law or breaking it. When I was a youth it was no sin to carry a knife on ones belt out in the country but times have changed and we have to go with the times we live in.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Why risk it though. The culture here is anti knife so there's no point risking the hassle. Just leave it in a pack until there.

Up to you though mate. You can take advice from people in the UK who are experiencing this culture of anti knife or not. I'm not saying don't use a knife (I'm a knife maker) but I wouldn't push the boundaries either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE