Question/questions for the leather workers amongst us

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
For what its worth - I find it best to mark when wet. However marks made when dry are less permanent.

I makes holes and stitch when the leather is dry so to not stretch or deform the leather.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yes its easier to mark the holes when wet, but i wouldnt as the leather is too soft and will easily squash, stretch, scratch. Then when its dry it will shrink a bit.

Sew when dry for the reasons above.

In general, leather is only wetted for a couple of reasons, stamping/carving, wet moulding, stretch fitting. :)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...just thought i'd point out....you dont need to (and shouldnt really) soak the leather just to stamp.....just get a sponge....i use a washing up sponge thingy....wet it....squeeze a little out....then 'case' (dampen) the entire surface of the leather.....then dampen more the area to be stamped. youll see the water sitting on the leather then soaking in....you dont need to saturate it though. then simply emboss.

and stitch when dry. you can stitch-mark at any time usually.

regards

a

hi...just thought i'd point out....you dont need to (and shouldnt really) soak the leather just to stamp.....just get a sponge....i use a washing up sponge thingy....wet it....squeeze a little out....then 'case' (dampen) the entire surface of the leather.....then dampen more the area to be stamped. youll see the water sitting on the leather then soaking in....you dont need to saturate it though. then simply emboss.

and stitch when dry. you can stitch-mark at any time usually.

regards

a

i found out about not soaking for stamping about half an hour after i posted i had it in soak so quickly whipped it out left it to dry and then hid the stamped and clamped bits of leather in my work locker
today i find out how they worked

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Do you need to treat the rough (flesh ?) Side of leather, I was thinking of using bees wax to finish the smooth side but don't know what to do on the other

I don't, personally. The rough side is normally hidden inside sheaths etc. so not really an issue. You might be able to rub some wax into it, try a scrap bit and see...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE