Question about wooden buttons

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Hi all,
just hoping for a little help!

I just got a wool/polester knitted olive green jumper and it has these naff plastic buttons on it that I don't really like.

I was considering making/carving some wooden buttons for them but then a thought ocurred to me: will they survive a washing machine?

I normally use coats of raw lineseed oil on spoons and stuff, but find I often have to re coat things after its been used/washed a few times. I don't think I could re-apply it once the buttons were stiched on.

hope all this makes sense.

all help is greatly apreciated!

thanks,
Stephen

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If your wood is stable enough then it will withstand washing.
Don't tumble dry and don't leave hanging around sodden wet though.

To re-oil/wax the wood you need to make a slotted template out of something like a piece of thin plastic. It simply slides under the button and covers the surrounding fabric so that you don't soak that with the oil or wax too.
Used to be used to polish brass buttons on uniforms, so the technique works well :)

cheers,
Toddy

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
thanks toddy!

the wood I was going to use was apple wood that was cut about six month ago. i've used it to carve a few beads and (so far) none of these have cracked. do you think this would do the job?

thanks again,

Stephen

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Apple's lovely :D
I think it should do, but you might try washing a couple of them before you make a whole batch and then get disappointed if it doesn't work out.

If you add something like carnuba wax, a really hard crisp wax to your mix, it'd be even harder to wash out. You could do the same by adding some resin to the mix though.

I like wooden buttons and fairly regularly shove the jackets and tops with them on into the washing machine, so I know it works. They do end up kind of weathered looking though.

atb,
M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've used Holly with great success, and as Toddy posted I treat them with a 20% Carnuba wax 80% Beeswax mixture and I've got some articles of clothing many years old now on which the buttons are fine; in fact a couple of times I've taken the buttons from an old thing and stitched them to a new one and not had a problem. Holly takes on a look which is very close to old Ivory and has a very tight grain structure which takes the wax well and feels great.......................Hope this helps............

N.B. Antler and Bone are options you might want to consider - bones from the butcher are free and work superbly treated exactly as above.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
thanks for all the advice guys, i think i'll give the apple a go for this jumper (as its only two buttons)

If it works out i'll probably do it to a few other garments, and I do have some holly in the wood pile...

I'll give it a go this week and let ya all know hoe it goes.

thanks again.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
If your wood is stable enough then it will withstand washing.
Don't tumble dry and don't leave hanging around sodden wet though.

To re-oil/wax the wood you need to make a slotted template out of something like a piece of thin plastic. It simply slides under the button and covers the surrounding fabric so that you don't soak that with the oil or wax too.
Used to be used to polish brass buttons on uniforms, so the technique works well :)

cheers,
Toddy

you can pick up cheap ex military ones all over the place:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Some of those look really 'good', don't they ? :D

I usually just make one when I need it from a bit of the side cut from a milk bottle jug thingie. Cuts with the kitchen scissors no bother at all.

I know :eek: I'm a housewife :rolleyes:

:D

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Some of those look really 'good', don't they ? :D

I usually just make one when I need it from a bit of the side cut from a milk bottle jug thingie. Cuts with the kitchen scissors no bother at all.

I know :eek: I'm a housewife :rolleyes:

:D

M

Yeah I just like mine as it's my Dads from his RAF days, the milk carton's a great idea.;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE