Camouflage and Concealment...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Not sure about wood pigeons, but if you sit still rabbits and squirrels will run to within 20 ft of you and stop to look at you, I've even had deer run through my camp, if your not moving they usually just stare at ulyou until you move, its important they can't smell you too.Hunters wear bright orange do they not?

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Not sure about wood pigeons, but if you sit still rabbits and squirrels will run to within 20 ft of you and stop to look at you, I've even had deer run through my camp, if your not moving they usually just stare at ulyou until you move, its important they can't smell you too.Hunters wear bright orange do they not?

Is that in the US? In case they get shot themselves ???

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Is that in the US? In case they get shot themselves ???
yep.. another hunter might see a brown shape moving through the bushes and think it's a deer. The theory is that large mammals (deer, moose, etc ) see in monochrome so can't tell orange from green, where as another hunter will see the orange.

I remember reading somewhere that as a general rule, birds with brightly coloured / patterned plumage have good colour vision (otherwise, what's the point?) and that dull coloured birds do not.. maybe the same is true of mammals?

and another random thought: If green is a good camoflage colour - why are large mammals predominantly brown ? ;)

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Well as for me, i spent a shed load of money on this camo, and used it quite effectively whilst hunting in the jungle.

PredatorCamo_Large.jpg

But upon returning to Scotland, i found it was pants with the abysmal wet soogy weather we get, so needless to say it has gotten relagated, to the back of the wardrobe.

1987_predator_008.jpg

So now i just use Olive drab, and well yes the hunting of film stars has not greatly diminished since going back to plain old green. :)

Cheers Stuart.

Nov 13, 2012
Wirral
Im getting issued MTP in January, it is much better than DPM for current use, but for good old British Woodland DPM is ace.

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
Im getting issued MTP in January, it is much better than DPM for current use, but for good old British Woodland DPM is ace.

In my opinion MTP is rubbish, it's cheap quality and doesn't do too well in European woodlands as it is to light and in the desert it's too dark, unless in the green zone. However all that said the layout of pockets is far better. The daypack is pretty good too.

milegajo

Forager
Sep 10, 2012
The Woods
www.1nomad.blogspot.com
Cheers fellas for all the input. Thanks for the correction too it is "Shape, Shine, Shadow, Silhouette, Sudden movement, Surface, Spacings" - It's been ten years since basic training! I knew spacings was in there somewhere but wasn't sure enough how and where it fit.

Regarding squirrels and depth perception, I did not say they had trouble, I said they assess it by moving their heads up and down or side to side relative to the subject.

Will follow up some of the other leads posted.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not sure about the US, I watched a video on YouTube about hunting in Canada and they were wearing hunters orange, think its for hunting in groups to reduce the chances of shooting each other.

Large groups, small groups, or alone. It's required by law during gun season unless you're on your own land.

And hunters not only mistake brown objects for deer, but also white ones as one of the most popular deer species is the White Tailed deer.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE