Camouflage and Concealment...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

milegajo

Forager
Sep 10, 2012
The Woods
www.1nomad.blogspot.com
The change in the season, as it often does, has brought about a reassessment. Specifically, my clothing.
For the past two years I have lived in two pairs of cheap DPM trousers that have now faded to the point of exuding a pale cream hue, the knees have worn thin, buttons on the pockets long lost and the disruptive pattern not even that disturbing. No wonder my hunting trips have been more challenging and less fruitful!
I didn't honestly expect trousers I work in to also remain effective in the field, certainly not for long. I do have work trousers, but not wishing to upset the washing cycle I often neglected to change in to them.
Even if the above were not the case, it is optimistic to expect predominantly green camouflage to provide concealment in autumn and winter. Whilst the knock off DPM's have been placed in the 're-purposing' bag, and proper heavy duty replacement ones purchased in their stead, still I am conscious that soon the shading canopy above me will disappear completely, and the woodland will be much lighter as a consequence. The basic principles of camouflage and concealment are as follows;

Shape, Shadow, Shine, Silhouette, Movement.

Adhere to these and you should succeed in bagging game. Even dressed in Jeans and a yellow t-shirt. Of course, wear the same colour as the predominant one around you, generally green or brown, and you should see improved results. Wear a disruptive pattern in those colours and you should fare better. The other end of the scale is a full blown hide. But lets stick to the context of clothing.
I decided to research camouflage patterns and available products that would better conceal me these next two seasons where foliage and cover are thin on the ground.
There are a multitude of patterns from a wide variety of manufacturers. The selection is greatly narrowed if you consider your landscape and the plant species that predominantly grow in it. Not only that, but I also had the seasons as a criteria.
Now consider this. Many patterns are sold that appeal to the hunters eye, but I don't wish to avoid detection from humans. So lets consider our prey. This is mostly rabbit, wood pigeon and squirrel.
Of the three, the wood pigeon certainly has the keenest sight, so movement (or lack of it) is key with them. Rabbits and squirrels, are a touch more forgiving, but they all have difficulty with depth perception.
As we know, the pigeon overcomes this to an extent by bobbing its head, the squirrel by moving its head up and down or side to side relative to the subject, and rabbits are just plain terrible. Why is any of this of any relevance? Well some of the most effective patterns have what is called a 3D effect to them whereby the pattern includes blurred background and sharp foreground, this all helps in confusing the senses of what is looking at you. The aim and result is that your shape is broken up almost by employing a 'magic eye' optical effect.
What about colour?
Well rabbits can differentiate only between green and blue, seeing shades of light and dark. Squirrels have 'dichromatic' vision comparable to a human with red-green colour blindness and wood pigeon can see the same spectrum as humans plus ultraviolet!
The latter two species make your choice rather important even if they have trouble gauging your distance.
Then of course, there is that very human factor. Price!

So I have chosen to go with the HSF Stealth Evolution Camo Jacket and Trousers from Stock and Tackle (www.stockandtackle.com)

I will be testing this outfit and posting a full review soon so watch this space... In the meantime, has anyone else tried this pattern? I'd love to hear your verdicts and experiences.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
concealment in my opinion is mostly about movement,we are programmed to notice it easily,put the best cammo on a sniper and he is still you wont see him,if he moves you can spot him very easily.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I've had various animals and birds land on or wander past me within touching distance when I've been still enough, I dont where camo patterns just subdued colours

only ever hunter with a camera though...

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've had various animals and birds land on or wander past me within touching distance when I've been still enough, I dont where camo patterns just subdued colours ... only ever hunter with a camera though...

Me too. I was taught stillness from a wee babe, going out with dad and uncles in the woods. Nobody but the army wore camo in the 50s but we did all wear muted colours. Now I wear a bit of both but the wobbly old muscles are a pain when it comes to keeping still and walking silently!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Let see if I understand this. You say squirrels have trouble with "depth perception?" You do understand that this is an animal the jumps full tilt from one branch to another (sometimes over 100 yards away in the case of flying suirrels) and never misses? Wood pigeons? Really? A bird with trouble with depth perception? It flies! Again at full tilt until it judges distance to landing spot.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
For the past two years I have lived in two pairs of cheap DPM trousers that have now faded to the point of exuding a pale cream hue, the knees have worn thin, buttons on the pockets long lost and the disruptive pattern not even that disturbing. No wonder my hunting trips have been more challenging and less fruitful!

Modern DPM is generally believed to be too dark. Up until the '94 pattern (remember that yellow hue?), DPM had slightly larger shapes, and was paler. It faded to paler still, but that was never a problem. Since the mid '90s, the shapes got smaller, the fabric darker, and the dyes more colour fast. And DPM started to lose favour around the same time for being too dark in backgrounds other than dense german forests....

Multicam/MTP is infinitely more effective in 90% of situations and is dramatically lighter in shade.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Sticks n limbs camp. Snuff said ;)

For hunting.....just dress like Wally with bright anorak etc.....:D

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Having taken some pictures of my Dancam tarp in an autumn wood, I reckon the German Flecktarn (with orange in it) would be very effective

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I mucked about with this concept last winter, and came back to solid brown shades, or subdued German splinter pattern, or ww2 screen printed patterns. What I would say is most modern army prints are designed to confuse either the human eye, by using circular movements in the print, or the digital eye by using digital prints, there are now designs that do both, for example Canadian prints, and the new digital tiger prints. Mtp and multicam are superb and are the next step and I would say out of the military prints, if you can't get the old dpm as mentioned above then this would be a with a look. ( though I still wear current dpms)

Movement will be the biggest give away whichever. Even the old duck hunter print from early Vietnam was found to be superb and unrivaled in its concealment capabilities, until you moved.

The new atacs camo is very effective and can be mimicked very easily with spray paints.
Have a look at German splinter pattern, then tru and subdue it a bit, you will be surprised.

The best hunter camo I have seen for purely break up ability is 'sticks and limbs' but others exist like mothwing and tribal. But apart from strong prints like pro-logic reed pattern which are specific to region prints, hunter prints can merge ino a shade of brown anyway which doesn't offer any break up to shape.

Having taken some pictures of my Dancam tarp in an autumn wood, I reckon the German Flecktarn (with orange in it) would be very effective

+1 on that, the German Flektarn is a brilliant Autum camo.
Not my photo but a good example.
flecktarn_2.jpeg

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Let see if I understand this. You say squirrels have trouble with "depth perception?" You do understand that this is an animal the jumps full tilt from one branch to another (sometimes over 100 yards away in the case of flying suirrels) and never misses? Wood pigeons? Really? A bird with trouble with depth perception? It flies! Again at full tilt until it judges distance to landing spot.

Ummmm ... yes ... a good point. So how does it work then as they certainly do achieve the jumping and flying?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ummmm ... yes ... a good point. So how does it work then as they certainly do achieve the jumping and flying?

It works because they have excellent depth perception. And most birds also have full color vision (unlike mammals in which it's limited to primates)

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I found an improvement in my stalking of prey when i used a mesh scrim net to conceal my face
That's a very good tip there, also the hands, at low light levels such as at dusk, try shooting with gloves and without, it's amazing how much the hands shine and are Seen at some distance going about the business of working the rifle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE