Quackery or the real deal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's an indigenous version of the Tiger Balm, Sam.
Use meadowsweet roots, the germolene smelling stuff, and mix it with the pine and olive oil stuff and beeswax.
Surprisingly effective :)

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a weed around here. I grow some beside one of the garden ponds so that I have some that I know is 'clean'. I need to thin it out, I can send you some roots if you like ? Happy growing anywhere you can keep relatively damp.
Bury bin bag in the ground and grow it in that at it's simplest if you live somewhere very dry :)

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thread drift here....I would like to try that recipe Mary.....but prefer to use "self sufficient" ingredients.....do you think a soft animal fat would substitute for the olive oil?

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I like the idea of complementary medicine. Something that says how wonderful I am when I open the medicine bottle.

Incidentally was diagnosed this week by a clever doctor who used evidentially based information that has discovered what may be the causal factor in Palindromic Rheumatism, anti-CCP, to simplify. Knowledge that was not known 25 years ago when I first had PR. Now, what alternative medical system predicted such a factor? None at all!

As with that other nonsense astrology which only hangs on the coat tails of real science but never predicted the existence of other planets before scientists discovered them. They didn't even report anomalies in their readings that might have suggested other planets, anomalies one would expect there to be if astrology had any reality.

As for recovery using complimentary treatments, um, things very often get better by themselves anyway.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think a soft animal fat would work very well, though I'd refine it to as clean as Tom does with his tallow.
I have pine resin, and can get more, if either of you need it ? Do you have the meadowsweet to hand BR ?

cheers,
M

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
From my own personal experience of both I don't even see the benefit of complementary type stuff, my father died of cancer two decades ago, while undergoing chemo he(at the behest of his then wife) had acupuncture to help manage the pain, and some herbal pills to help with his energy levels, had to change his diet to help enhance the chemo, he was in massive pain until we(me and my sister) begged him to go and confess to the pain as he had promised to give the acupuncture a fair go, he was given painkiller that worked, his energy levels were low from before taking the pills to the time he slipped into a coma, the chemo and diet didn't work, BUT this is 20 years ago, if he had the same condition now he would have a far higher chance of a longer life due to advances in medical treatments, but has acupuncture moved on in the same way so it would now be able to provide the relief, has herbalism moved on(and I don't just mean in name) has dietitians skills advance so as to be able to do all it claimed it could and increase the potency of cancer treatments? or is it all still based on old un modified knowledge and techniques, has there been the same investment in research as there has in medical knowledge or or has the skill based remained in application?

there has to be a very clear and defined line between effective medicine now and what was considered to be effective before research,

at the end of the day though, there are no silver bullets, nothing is 100% guaranteed to work, But you have to take you best bet, for me its mainstream medical treatments every time:)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think a soft animal fat would work very well, though I'd refine it to as clean as Tom does with his tallow.
I have pine resin, and can get more, if either of you need it ? Do you have the meadowsweet to hand BR ?

cheers,
M

I don't Mary - but I'm sure I can locate some - beeswax and resin I have in quantity and am toying with useful things to do with them...working on glues and varnishes but this sounds useful for a nice rub down :)

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Copy pasted from an article I'm reading right now...

even the conservative American Cancer Society states that one-third of cancer deaths are linked to poor diet, physical inactivity, and carrying excess weight. Once you understand this, it is not a stretch to embrace the teachings of the Gerson Therapy, which has helped thousands of people recover from so-called incurable diseases, including cancer

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
i dont doubt the first statement you make there mate. Poor Lifestyle and Diet must contribute but the crux is whether getting your veggies post diagnosis will help at all. I respect your wish to follow your own star but i cant comprehend putting my trust in legumes

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
From an article I'm reading at the moment
Research into Gerson therapy
There is no evidence to show that Gerson therapy works as a cure for cancer.

There is some evidence from British investigations that this type of therapy can help people feel better emotionally and reduce their need for painkillers. But the numbers of patients looked at in these studies were very small, so these findings may not be reliable.

The MD Anderson Cancer Centre in America reviewed the medical literature on Gerson Therapy. They found only 7 studies that had been published or presented at conferences. None of these studies were randomised, controlled clinical trials. You can read the full report of the MD Anderson literature review on Gerson therapy on their website.

We could play article top trumps until the cows come home....

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Copy pasted from an article I'm reading right now...

even the conservative American Cancer Society states that one-third of cancer deaths are linked to poor diet, physical inactivity, and carrying excess weight. Once you understand this, it is not a stretch to embrace the teachings of the Gerson Therapy, which has helped thousands of people recover from so-called incurable diseases, including cancer

So do the American Cancer Society back Gersen then? $1 gets you $100 it doesn't...............

And there are precisely zero proved records of Gerson saving anyone from Cancer, let alone thousands. She's a quack, albeit a very rich one now....

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
These pearls of wisdom form a man who ignored good tips and buggered himself up before some long hike he had in mind but never did and in all liklihood will suffer pain in later years from his reluctance to adopt proven practice and common sense.

We have had our differences in the past, but i agree totally with that statement.

People have their own opinions and experiences, but for me i tend to only trust peoples opinions depending on their credibility.
In this case from my readings on this forum over several threads i have to say i put absolutely no faith in lub0's credibility or opinion.

I usually try to ignore his posts as i find it's like trying to get a fish to fly to try and talk some common sense.
In this case though i think his opinions are insulting to anyone that has been diagnosed with cancer or has had loved ones diagnosed or lost to cancer.

To say that a loved one died simply because they didn't drink enough fruit juice is bordering on insulting and is likely to get a very strong emotional response from some.

From my own personal experience of both I don't even see the benefit of complementary type stuff, my father died of cancer two decades ago, while undergoing chemo he(at the behest of his then wife) had acupuncture to help manage the pain, and some herbal pills to help with his energy levels, had to change his diet to help enhance the chemo, he was in massive pain until we(me and my sister) begged him to go and confess to the pain as he had promised to give the acupuncture a fair go, he was given painkiller that worked, his energy levels were low from before taking the pills to the time he slipped into a coma, the chemo and diet didn't work, BUT this is 20 years ago, if he had the same condition now he would have a far higher chance of a longer life due to advances in medical treatments, but has acupuncture moved on in the same way so it would now be able to provide the relief, has herbalism moved on(and I don't just mean in name) has dietitians skills advance so as to be able to do all it claimed it could and increase the potency of cancer treatments? or is it all still based on old un modified knowledge and techniques, has there been the same investment in research as there has in medical knowledge or or has the skill based remained in application?

there has to be a very clear and defined line between effective medicine now and what was considered to be effective before research,

at the end of the day though, there are no silver bullets, nothing is 100% guaranteed to work, But you have to take you best bet, for me its mainstream medical treatments every time:)

Sorry for you loss.
Luckily my parents are still here, but i have lost some very close family members and a few really good mates to cancer, we all have to die but it's a terrible terrible way to go.

For me i personally believe from my personal experiences, that the vast majority of the Homotherpy, aromatherapy, spiritual healing types tend to be hypochondriacs to varying degree's.

As just 1 example of many.
There is a woman at work that goes on and on about aromatherapy, to the point where she tries to convince me that she can make up a concoction that will repair my paralysed arm.
She's knows absolutely nothing about nerve damage, absolutely nothing about nerve pain, has absolutely no medical qualifications or experience, yet she can slap together a concoction that repairs something she has absolutely no understanding of.

She'll then roll off a list of ailments she's had that her concoctions have "cured".
When pushed all the ailments were diagnosed herself from searches on the t'net, to sit and listern to her is a lesson in patience and control.
She'll read about a disease or complaint then make up symptoms to suit the case, a mosquito bite suddenly turns into red blotches, she'll walk into work and up several flights of stairs fine, then develop a knee ache throughout the day to suit some new diagnosis, then forget about it when she leaves at night.

Ok that's an extreme example BUT my experience is that most of these natural medicine types are like that to a far milder degree.
A ailment that started off 100% in the mind is pretty easy to fix with positive thought and if you know in your mind beforehand your concoctions will cure it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
i prefer the concept of Complimentary treatments
i used zopiclone for a while-left me like a zombie for most the next morning-a sleep balm containing lavender and bergamot essential oils relaxs me enough to drop off rather than knock me out
i use tiger balm or tiger oil on my trick knee but i took anti inflammatory medication to help the swelling
i've worked with folk who said that the chemotherapy was only bearable with some interesting flapjacks

i also think that attacking one point of view from the other is never going to work, its like trying to cut fog with an axe

Zopiclone can be a very effective hypnotic but is going out of favour these days and many GP's now give anti histamines to help you sleep, might be worth you trying in the future.

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
"drugs work"

People under estimate the adverse effects of prescribed drugs.....

"Adverse Drug Reactions put 2.2 million people in hospitals and 106,000 died, "making these reactions the fourth leading cause of death." Journal of American Medical Assoc, 4-15-1998"

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
..... the cancer industry and vaccination industry being the two biggest yet most downright ineffective and harmful of them all.

Are you David Icke?????

vaccinations are ineffective? Seriously? What about stuff like Smallpox, TB and all the other easily preventable (via vaccinations!!!!) diseases that are no longer killing people? Would you stop your child from having their vaccinations?
I understand totally that drug companies (BIG PHARMA!!!!) are there to make money, just like any other business, but there are lots of drugs that are valuable and absolutely necessary.
Lots of the good stuff did indeed come from plants/animals originally though.
This 'sympathetic memory' stuff is absolute cobblers though. How thick are people??? If you dilute something to the extent that there is not one molecule of the original substance left?????????? ***??? Who thought that gem up? Classic.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE