pwoar, that's a big chopper!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Robin's latest toy ... an American broad axe. I can only just lift it...
IMG_5012.jpg

Robin's made of sterner stuff (he just had to out-do me with the shirt as well :rolleyes: )
IMG_5028.jpg

A fine addition to the axe collection I think!
IMG_5031.jpg

Nicola

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
OH, that's one of the small ones!

The ax, I mean.

Does it have an inline haft? That type ax was meant to be used in squaring logs. The axman stood beside the log or on top of it and chopped parallel to the log. So, the handle had to be off set to keep from skinning his knuckles. I don't find many these days with the correct haft as few now know how it was intended to be used.

Nice spoon, have a tea cup to go with that?

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Does it have an inline haft? That type ax was meant to be used in squaring logs. The axman stood beside the log or on top of it and chopped parallel to the log. So, the handle had to be off set to keep from skinning his knuckles. I don't find many these days with the correct haft as few now know how it was intended to be used.
That's exactly what it is for. An equivalent British side axe would cost between £50 and £100 but in the US these go for $15-30... and this one was a trade which is even better :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE