Snugpak Stratosphere Hooped Bivvy Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
A first impressions and first useage review......
I won't repeat all the information (or too much of it) that can be found all over You Tube, but suffice it to say, that this is a side entrance hooped bivvy as opposed to top loaders which are to my mind , an unnecessary faff to get in or out....well in....
The only other commonly available alternative (side loader) seemed to be the Alpkit Elan, but that is slightly smaller in dimensions, but much more keenly priced. I will say now, certainly as listed on Snugpaks site, that I think The Stratosphere is overpriced, although not horribly so?
It seems robust enough, although I can't comment on the waterproofness in extended rain; I have only experienced a light shower and it was fine, but I have seen one video where it seemed perfectly dry after a substantial hosing, and another where it definitely leaked significantly in hard rain of several hours. Do not confuse this with condensation. In the conditions (mild breezy winter) I used mine initially, I had no issues at all with condensation, but I can foresee times or occasions when one would.

The bivvy has 2 mesh covered ventilation panels of good size, one behind the head and one in front of your face. If it rains too hard, the bag front (the back is covered with a pegged out flap) can be zipped up with the outer cover/hood.
The outer body cover does not allow a huge amount of space for the.....more rotund. But more apparently than the Elan? I am fairly broad, and could roll over ok......but ok, not fine? Nor is it particularly wide down to the feet. Not being too saggy, it encourages the rain NOT to pool, which is a good thing. As in everything it's a compromise? The hooded area has a small net above, which is zipped, for all the little important bits and pieces you may have. All the zips worked fine and as said earlier, access/egress is a 3/4 zip along the right hand side. Makes life a whole load easier..........on that subject, all the zips worked fine.
The whole bag packs away into a commendable stuff sack and is very small and light, about a1kg

I think this would work well (for me at least) for lightweight impromptu or stealth camps in the summer. Some take tarps to provide a dry admin/dressing area, For don't forget that unless you are short enough, your rucksack stays outside. Using a tarp may well be a useful addition in wetter conditions, but doing so when not needed, seems to me to detract from the reasons to use a bivvy in the first place.....being as compact and light as can be?

And bivvies are just the BEST for star or sky or tree gazing. The best...........

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Thanks for sharing, that was a really useful insight and overview. I did consider getting one of these a couple of years ago but ended up going for the Dutch Army hooped goretex bivvy. It weighs a good deal more than the Snugpak, but I felt it was worth it for the gore-tex fabric and robust construction. Two years and many many camps later and it's still my go-to bivvy bag, infact I've just packed it for a jaunt on the moors next week.

Ray Smears

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2022
Somerset
Thanks for sharing, that was a really useful insight and overview. I did consider getting one of these a couple of years ago but ended up going for the Dutch Army hooped goretex bivvy. It weighs a good deal more than the Snugpak, but I felt it was worth it for the gore-tex fabric and robust construction. Two years and many many camps later and it's still my go-to bivvy bag, infact I've just packed it for a jaunt on the moors next week.
I too,am looking into purchasing a Dutch Army hooped bivvy.
Lots of places seem sold out,so they must be reasonably popular.
Regards
Ray

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
I have just used the Stratosphere in a wild camp. It was damp weather.....no, wet, and 4 deg.
The damp/wet weather made getting in and out a long winded process needing planning.
Despite having it (all vents) open between showers, and the back vent always open, in the morning the inside was sodden and damp patches all over the outside of my (thankfully!) synthetic sleeping bag.

I double checked the waterproof ness at home with a hose when dried out, and it was absolutely waterproof; so the wet I experienced was condensation. In future I will be highly selective when I use it.........:(

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have just used the Stratosphere in a wild camp. It was damp.....no wet and 4 deg.
The damp/wet made getting in and out a long winded process needing planning.
Despite have it open between showers, and the back vent always open, in the morning the inside was sodden and damp patches all over the outside of my (thankfully!) synthetic sleeping bag.

I double checked the waterproof ness at home with a hose when dried out, and it was absolutely waterproof; so the wet I experienced was condensation. In future I will be highly selective when I use it.........:(
Ive had similar experiences with Goretex hooped bivi bags too - they just can't cope with ultra humid conditions. The more basic designs (i.e. sleeping bag cover type, with no hoop(s)) do seem to fare much better as i suppose the persons breath can escape easier, and there is a greater temperature gradient from the imeediate inside of the fabric to the outside helping 'push' the vapour through. But I know what type i would rather be in on a rainy night in an exposed location!

Reactions: Laurence Milton

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE