Puukko wolverine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
Hello,

I have been using a Frosts Mora 740 'training knife' for a good few years and I have been very happy with it. I use it as a general all-purpose bushcraft knife.
BUT these Puukko/Wolverine Kellam Knives keep catching my eye.

:dunno:

Any one got any experience of them?
Where can I get one at a reasonable price?
Is there a better alternative?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

PREPER........ :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
They are very good, can be frighteningly sharp and will hold it a long time. A friend of mine used to be the sole UK importer, no longer though. The only two problems people can have with them is that the spine doesn't throw a very good spark from a ferro rod, and they can take a bit of sharpening. Both are to do with the blade being induction hardened, very hard cutting edge, softer spine.

Not sure where the best prices would be, I would have probably bought from either Heinnie.com, or Moonraker Knives. There isn't much to choose between them, pricewise.

I have always liked the look of the Karesuando knives. I met the guy who brings those in and got to handle some, very nice. They do some nice 12C27 Sandvic blades, if stainless would suit better.

A lot of people really like the Enzo knives. Nice if you want to go for a full tang.

Last edited:

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Joshhhhhhhhh!!!!!! :)

im here, im here....

Kellam wolverine, best stick Tang ive owned or used, the finish is spot on, no faults there.

The handle is extreamly comfortable, solid and well shaped

The Blade is strong, sturdy and very sharp

The overall shape is perfect for any manner of tasks

Here is an independant reveiw of the Kellam wolverine done by myself, Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJfZpxvwU9c

oh, I also have a Karesuando which C Claycombe mentioned, the finish isnt that good at all and the blade isnt that well done, its not as solid as the wolverine either. Enzos are good aswell but can have problems with chipping and i find the blade a little thick for close work, IMO they are more of a skinning knife with a bushcraft twist.

ATB
Josh

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I own that if I was to buy a stick tang type knife for bushcraft, and wanted the scandi grind, the Wolverine would be at the top of my list. The Puukko would be number 2. I like how they are made as well as the blade performance.

The Karesuando knives I have seen were roughly half the price of the Wolverine and although I didn't notice any particular flaws in the ones I handled, I wasn't looking that critically. They looked like a lot of knife for £50 or less. What aspect made them less solid than the Wolverine? Fit and finish can slip a bit when the price is dropped by half but you still want it to be solid. Since I was just looking at them at a stand, rather than using, that aspect was hard to judge.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
The Karesuando knives I have seen were roughly half the price of the Wolverine and although I didn't notice any particular flaws in the ones I handled, I wasn't looking that critically. They looked like a lot of knife for £50 or less. What aspect made them less solid than the Wolverine? Fit and finish can slip a bit when the price is dropped by half but you still want it to be solid. Since I was just looking at them at a stand, rather than using, that aspect was hard to judge.

the problem i found with my Karesuando, apart from Poor fit and finish was the uneven grinds on the blade, the guard was too big and got in the way, the sheath was also stiff and poorly made although the handle felt nice.

they are less robust due to a simpler brass guard (no leather) and a half length tang with a hole about an " into the handle, Id say stick with your mora and save up for a kellam :)

The wolverine actually uses a Lauri blade..these are the PT blades rather than the regular carbon blades most people know. Chris is absolutely right about the blade, it's spine is 54rc and it's edge is 63rc similar in hardness to Roselli's UHC carpenter.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
The wolverine actually uses a Lauri blade..these are the PT blades rather than the regular carbon blades most people know. Chris is absolutely right about the blade, it's spine is 54rc and it's edge is 63rc similar in hardness to Roselli's UHC carpenter.

Thats what people say, However Stuart Said on BB that they are forged in Finnland.
confusing as the dimentions and steel and HT are exactly the same, So why would Kellam state the blade is forged...

Thats what people say, However Stuart Said on BB that they are forged in Finnland.
confusing as the dimentions and steel and HT are exactly the same, So why would Kellam state the blade is forged...

They are definitely made in Finland as thats where the Lauri factory is, but forged, no, I'm pretty certain they're not.http://www.laurinmetalli.net/etusivu3.php

Last edited:

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
The wolverine is one of my favourites. Very comfortable handle. I removed the secondary bevel it came with, wish I hadn't now, the edge chipped. Maybe I'll attempt to put one back on.
All in all a great knife.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I agree with all the good things said about the Kellum Wolverine. It is a fantastic knife. I also like the Enzo Trapper that I put together from a kit, nice solid full tang. The Wolverine was cheaper. Both are excellent bush blades. Cheers!

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Never had any chipping of the blade problems with my EnZo Trapper. Mine is tool steel, not stainless. Which type did you experience the chipping with?

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Why not take alook at the Roselli range the carpenter is a very similar blade shape to the wolverine and it is forged. I thought that Kellam bought in all their knives and dident make them If you check out Kellam knives worldwide inc you can see that they sell a lot of knives by other makers. Their R line are Roselli.

Mark

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
The Enzo D2 and IIRC the stainless have been known to chip when zero-ground, but strictly speaking the Enzos are not meant to be zero ground. My carbon Enzo came with a secondary microbevel which I've kept, and I've had no chipping whatsoever. D2 is a poor steel for zero-ground scandi.

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
Thanks everyone for all the advice, it has helped a lot.
Josh, I watched enjoyed the youtube video, I’m convinced.
Anyone know where can I buy a Wolverine at less then £91.95?

PREPER……. :)

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
IMO, Kellams prices are ridiculous. Just remarketed stuff. Buy a Lauri PT blade from Brisa and make your own 'wolverine' - these Lauri blades - even in plain carbon are really good.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Hi eraaij, still got the model town at Madurodam. Went as a kid in the seventies.
Nothing to do with the thread, just interested.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Thanks everyone for all the advice, it has helped a lot.
Josh, I watched enjoyed the youtube video, I’m convinced.
Anyone know where can I buy a Wolverine at less then £91.95?

PREPER……. :)

I got mine second hand, TBH i think the price is justified when you consider the quality and finish of the knife, and the sheath...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE