Putting a wooden handle for a borneo parang

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi everyone...
I have done a few wooden handles for knives and parang blades in the past (some terribly horrific looking), so I decided to give it another go.
Was in Sarawak recently and manage to land myself a Iban styled Candong. Forged by a 3rd generation bladesmith. I manage to witness parts of the forging and I can say for sure this time around it DID come from a vehicle leafd spring!

Here is a picture of the blade:
P1050597.jpg

I am using local guava wood. The only medium hard wood I can find around to be honest.
P1050604.jpg

First, I used an electrical drill to make a hole into the piece of wood cut. Slowly, I widen the hole with the same tool so that it fits the entire tang of the parang.
P1050612.jpg

Though the edge of the parang was no where near sharp, I decided it was much safer to wrap it up so that I can do the shaping works safely. Somehow the bladesmith insisted that I sharpen the blade aftr I have made the handle.
P1050620.jpg

P1050634.jpg

P1050632.jpg

Like many, I too am worried that this narrow tang parang blade would come flying off when in use. So, I measured and made two holes to keep the blade securely set with the wooden handle.
P1050671.jpg

I decided to use copper pipe to reinforce the tip of the wooden handle.
P1050655.jpg

Lastly, mixed the epoxy and squeeze it into the hole of the wooden handle. After that I inserted the tang in followed by the metal pins. This is then left to set for 12 hours.
P1050684.jpg

P1050685.jpg

More pictures to come!

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Looks to be a very versatile blade shape. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Any chance you could let us know the dimensions of the blade?

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Bandel4,
looks good so far.
This post is relating to the epoxy you used....any chance you could name it for us?
Just that I've wondered what epoxy gives that grey colour (my parang has the same colour epoxy...and i've not seen it availiable before)

Cheers
Mojo

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Looks to be a very versatile blade shape. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Any chance you could let us know the dimensions of the blade?

Yes...I will get you the dimension soon. Will take a pic...easier. The weight with the wood handle stands at around 550grams.

Bandel4,
looks good so far.
This post is relating to the epoxy you used....any chance you could name it for us?
Just that I've wondered what epoxy gives that grey colour (my parang has the same colour epoxy...and i've not seen it availiable before)

Cheers
Mojo

The brand of the epoxy is 'Vital'. I will also take a pic to show you the actual item. Soon to be loaded.

Looking forward to seeing that finished Keong coming on nicely.
Hope you and your family are well?

Hi Will! Thanks...yp, we are doing ok. Its Chinese New Year season now and there is a lot of makan happening!

The epoxy has hardened. Because the bladesmith left a coating of paint on the blade (to keep it from rusting), I now need to remove it. Here are some pics:

P1050692.jpg

P1050697.jpg

Last edited:

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Ahhhhh!!!!

Cheers Bandel4.....mystery solved...now to find the 'Material data sheet' for it (I'll check the website)

Thanks again

Mojo

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Finally...I think the wood handling for theborneo parang blade is done. Comments, suggestions appreciated:

P1050716.jpg

P1050717.jpg

And for the first time ever, the blade is somewhat balanced.
P1050718.jpg

Length of the entire blade.
P1050730.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE