Purifying Water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i got a gatekeeper too, haven't used it yet though. It's more as backup. A barly used katadyn mini is comming mine way, so i will proberbly be using that one wenn i can finnaly found a person to hike with.... can't seem to find a person with the same interest here of mine age....

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
dutchman are you living close to Delft ? if you need a buddy to hike/bushcraft with, you know where to find me.

i know a couple of scouts, but they are absolutly diffrent than what i have though. No interest in bushcraft and stuff from those guys... they just joined for the beer. So i'm not joining... don't drink alcohol either...

D

Dutchman

nope, i'm not into scouting either. i'm waaay too old :wink:

i do not live in your neighbourhoud (sp?)
around here there is alot of water (and its not only coming out of the sky :-?
great waterways! so that's what i do to find the quiet lonely places.

sorry of topic...i think...we are still talking water i quess....aren't we? :lol:

Aug 15, 2005
Dartmoor
Going back to the milbank option, I popped into my local army surplus and asked if they ever had them and the chap looked at me as if I was asking for a ww2 gas mask. He explained that the issue is now pocket filters and that millbank had long gone.

Are they reasonably easy to get hold of? Any suggestions?

leon-1

Borneo Wildman said:
Going back to the milbank option, I popped into my local army surplus and asked if they ever had them and the chap looked at me as if I was asking for a ww2 gas mask. He explained that the issue is now pocket filters and that millbank had long gone.

Try Jasper at Strikeforce supplies, that was where I got my last one, comes with a little bottle of iodine and a bottle of detaste powder.

You will find them under cooking gear and they cost £16. hope this is of use to you, Leon.

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
Borneo Wildman said:

You could also check out Ebay, I got one a couple of months back with a bottle of iodine. It wasn't new but it hadn't had a lot of use. I think it cost me around a tenner all in.

Simon

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
Borneo Wildman said:

the milbank bag is far from dead. i know SOF sell them, and i've seen them on various other outdoor sights.

at the moment to purify my water i use a MSR mini waterworks and a Dromedary water bag, to carry my water i use a camelpak. could probably get away without taking the dromedary, but it weighs nowt, packs to less and has some good secondary uses (pillow when full, shower attachment for when yor missing some luxury). its also nice to have a back up water container.

when i get a milbank bag i'll use that & boiling instead of the MSR (nice and light/simple) unless i'm some where very out the way, which, unfortunatly, is unlikely for a while :(

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Has anyone got experience of these filters. They are selling on ebay, but from the blurb it looks like for full protection from viruses, you still need Chlorine or Iodine, so maybe the millbank bag or a mini filter is still the option.Drinksafe

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I have no first hand experience with this system, but anecdotaly have heard good reports. We are witnessing a literal arms race in water purification not unlike rearming squadrons of Gloster Galdiators with Spitfires. The world supply of water is almost universally compromised in the face of increased demand. Future resource geopolitics, if not war over water will make the final days of fossil fuel use seem irrelevant. Katrina has taught us ( well, some of us) a severe lesson and revealed shortcomings and failures to even those with the foresight to prepare. You may have noticed the #1 priority relief item is cases of bottled water, not filters or clorine. All sytems have a maximum capacity DEPENDANT on the % of nastys and particulate junk . In the conditions found n New Orleons I wouldn't depend on ANY system. For my ETS peers, including many here the consensus now is the 72 hour rule of thumb is to short and potable water and fuel are literally our lifeblood. For Bushcrafters this sadly may soon also be felt. The options, few and imperfect may mean packing in more of the stuff, cacheing a supply for future minimal retreatment or coordinating with a large group to bring in a adequate supply for any meetups. We may soon look like those movie actors crossing a desert and slowly discarding everything but the canteen :(

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
When I go out I often filter my water through the Millbank bag and boil it. This is probably my main way of getting usable water. When I don't do this I use a Aquapure Traveller or the Military version Survivor S4i

(We have been extensively reviewing this since our first review and we do think it is better than we gave it credit, the review is being written at the moment)

I rarely use chemical purification as I just don't fancy using it when I have other choices.
When I have to drink water that does not taste too good (well, puddle etc) I use the US powdered drinks like Kool-Aid or tang, You can get them with the sugar included in the powder. This can make drinks much more palatable.

How do you guys and girls deal with your water needs?

Hi tony, I have just won a aquapure traveller water filter and spare brand new filter for 25quid, I have not found much information review wise, how is yours holding up?
I no this is a very old thread but hopefully it's still relevant!
Cheers
Steve

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

udamiano

On a new journey
I use a Katadyn Pocket Filter, and then boil the water. Chemical treatments are becoming less and less effective on certain types of protozoa (see the WHO, report on water Bourne, protozoa, especially the UK/US statistics), and the levels of chemical and metal contamination in lowland areas of industrial countries is getting higher. A good filter with an activated charcoal filter is best used in those areas.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE