purdey [shotgun] knives........style over function?

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
my thoughts exactly Josh, maybe there's a reason / use i haven't figured out yet ( that hole has to be for something more than decoration ? )

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
not too sure what makes these knives cost that much...certainly isn't asthetics. i've come across knives like this before..never made much sence to carry or use a knife worth more than my car..

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I do believe at least some of them are made by a frequenter of this site!;)

I have seen them in the flesh, they are pretty stunning as showpieces and the ones I saw were made to the exacting standards you would have expected.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
They look pretty uncomfortable for the user. But at that price, who's going to use them?

I personally don't like them, im a knife user not a collector though.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i'm a bit baffled here

a lot of people seem to be making a point about the price of these knifes, and i'd agree that 850 sheets for a knife is a bit on the excessive side, but scroll down the page, the third knife down is £180, i'm sure there are plenty of people on here who've paid more than £180 for a user. so why such an "anti" attitude of more or less everyone so far?

not just you at all widerbeast, that folder looks lovely (way too expensive for me though :lmao: )

stuart

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
I'm a huge fan of Purdey's gear, I've been lucky enough to shoot some of their guns, though as yet, not to own one ;) What you have to remember is that Purdey is one of those superb London stores that has been around for ages making luxury goods. As such it can charge pretty much whatever it likes for anything because the type of people who buy things from the store itself wouldn't bat an eyelid at £850 trust me.

As a community we always seem very anti people charging extortionate amounts for things, and I understand why. It's because it represents consumerism and ignorance and extortion yada yada. But from a more simplistic point of view, if you ran a shop that could charge excessive amounts for its goods and gets away with it...wouldn't you? Can we really ever blame people for making money? We can scoff at how expensive stuff is and say it's ridiculous, which of course it is - that sharp is worth nowhere near that and I'd never buy it when I could buy something superior for less....

But someone will

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
do we know who makes them, ?

and if they have free reign of design?

or have to follow an exact brief based on what the Purdey marketing people think will best suit there image,...?

yes we do know who makes them ;)

the short handle looks odd and ive wondered it the cut out is to use as a spanner on something but i suspect the design has specific purpose tho the cut out may just be a detail

and the £850 one is a limited edition version and compared to the price of a purdey top shotgun nothing the engraving on the lock probably costs several times more

the std one is £215 further down and thats comparable to a lot of makers here Pro and hobby

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE