Protect leather from scratches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Hi all,

What is the best product for making leather more scratch-proof, especially wet-formed leather?

On BB I was advised to use shoe polish (like Kiwi). I use that on my shoes, they still get scratches and small nicks.

Any other ideas?

PS: I'm not looking to harden the leather as in making it inflexible like with beeswax. Just more scratchproof.

Thanks!

Thijs

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Well, leather being skin, it's a bit of a loosing battle to try to keep it scratch and blemish free. Bit like us really :D Just see the number of skin/beauty products on the market..do they work :confused:

Sorry, that's not really helping is it...:p

I use shoe polish but that does not prevent bumps and bruises. You can't completely prevent damages if you are using your leather but using beeswax will toughen the leather although you loose suppleness.

And after these words of wisdom, I shall retire gracefully.:sulkoff: before somebody...:nutkick: me !

i agree...eventually you will get abrasions, etc..

however you can try applying a product called snoseal. it is a soft beeswax based waterproofing. after i mold, stitch and dye,i use kiwi polish to even out the color, then i hand rub snoseal into the item. i use a heat gun, but you can use any heat source (if it has an open flame, be careful), to help the item totally absorb the snoseal. buff out the item and i think you'll find it's a bit more durable. though it will never be as shiny as with shoe polish alone.

you do get the benefit of a stiffer product, if the item was molded.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Thanks for the tips.

I was especially annoyed by the fact that when I'm wetmolding, I have to be so overly carefull not to scratch or dent the leather. Normal use nicks and dents are OK, it just look so silly when you made a brand new sheath, fresh leather, tight stitching...and scratches! It jus doesn't fit to have a new made product with abrasions and scratches that you expect after a year or so.

I read about Snoseal on BB as well, that might be worth a try. Good to hear that beeswax also does some protection.

Thanks guys!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
The other thing I have used, on my leather hat is the stuff Barbour makes for waterproofing. Not sure what's in it though, but it did increase the waterproofness of the leather hat as well as stiffening it somewhat.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Jojo: Thanks, unfortunately Barbour stuff is hard to come by in Holland.

yOdsa: I heard about carnauba wax, will dig into that.

Any recipes, i.e. 50% beeswax, 50% carnauba?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE