Projects or goals for 2022

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Decided on making a collapsible bow saw out of ash with nettle cordage( if it’s strong enough).
Plenty off ash die back around these parts.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
That's my problem - Tony asked us to limit it to the main 3, but, by that time, my list was more than a typed, single spaced, A4 sheet!

Some will no doubt wait till the next lifetime.

I have now planned when in the year I'm doing the major things and the things that necessitate others planning their time.

I find it hard to limit the amount of things I want to do, I've been practicing limiting what I focus on so that I get better at actually finishing things, or doing them better. It's hard sometime to figure out what I would prioritise and class as important.

You guys are amazing, it's so cool that you've got loads of things that you want to be doing, shows the enthusiasm and commitment you all have.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I've resolved to do away with lists and goals this year as I end up worrying more about ticking things off than enjoying doing them. Life is full of lists. Having said that, here's my list of projects:

Make a bow out of the ash stave currently seasoning under the bed (will be my first bow)
Achieve a reasonable level of proficiency in friction fire (seems to roll over each year)
Try out uncharred tinders with my new steel
Continue research into plants and botany with as much obsessiveness as I have on the last few years
Learn some more 'shrooms
Get the kids out wild camping
Canoe some new rivers in our local area that I have not yet explored

• Haha
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've resolved to do away with lists and goals this year as I end up worrying more about ticking things off than enjoying doing them. Life is full of lists. Having said that, here's my list of projects:

Make a bow out of the ash stave currently seasoning under the bed (will be my first bow)
Achieve a reasonable level of proficiency in friction fire (seems to roll over each year)
Try out uncharred tinders with my new steel
Continue research into plants and botany with as much obsessiveness as I have on the last few years
Learn some more 'shrooms
Get the kids out wild camping
Canoe some new rivers in our local area that I have not yet explored

Shame we live so far apart; we could have teamed up with nearly all of those :)

Reactions: Suffolkrafter

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Shame we live so far apart; we could have teamed up with nearly all of those :)
Wales is on my list of wild camping areas to explore, Snowdonia, Brecon Beacons, Pembrokeshire too - I've had some great trips to Pembrokeshire some years ago now. If ever you come across somebody stooping over some obscure plant with a dispairing family in tow, say hello as it may well be me :)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
My goal for the next year is to remain healthy enough to plant more trees on my little patch of land. I have not made a very good start, I have shingles at the moment.

• Sad
Reactions: swyn and Broch

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I'd love to increase my collection of stuff geared at hiking/camping/mountaineering*
Which I guess ultimately means my goals are more work based/financial based rather than bushcraft.

I'd also like to sell my van and buy one more equipped for camping, which would make life and camping trips a little easier on short notice/schedule...

*not after climbing based mountaineering stuff, just stuff that'll help UK mountaineering trips... crampons, ice axes etc..

Hedge Monkey

Jul 28, 2021
West midlands
I will be studying a specific woodland for a full calendar year. Identify and recording as much of the flora and fauna as possible. The aim is to assess the wood for it's diversity and look at ways if any, it can be made more rich. Learn from what natural processes in place, and finally look at how this woods came to be over time. I am no expert at all, but armed with a broad range of field guides I am going to give it a go. Some are saying I should You Tube it. I don't how to do that, I just watch it. What do you think and does anyone have a channel and could give me some pointers.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've been doing the same for the last few years on a 15 acre Ancient Semi Natural Woodland. I very quickly realised that I cannot identify and record every species, especially fungi and the invertebrates, so I concentrate on trying to just identify and record the more obvious and learn a new one or two each time I visit (I'm lucky, the wood is only 500m from the house).

I have a management plan that is slowly being implemented. However, every action has a reaction that may not be desirable or forecast, so tread very carefully with any changes you make. The dark, damp, corners that hold mosses, liverworts, and all manner of invertebrate species, need our protection as much as the bright butterflies and flowers. What I'm saying is be careful not to throw out the baby with the bath water :)

I see you are in the West Midlands, if you are ever over here (near Welshpool) you are welcome to come and see what we are doing.

Reactions: swyn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE