Primitive Multi-Tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Finding myself with a little time on my hands this weekend (not a frequent event), I set to on a couple of projects I'd been wanting to try for a while. First off was a tiny coke can stove, the really lightweight variety that run on meths, the result was quite functional and now I'm after making the rolls-royce version.

The second project and the one shown here was to make a new bearing block for my bow drill set using deer antler, kindly provided by the local butcher. Once the selected portion had been trimmed to size, cleaned and polished I ground a small depression using a small flint arrow head mounted onto a shaft with fake sinew and pine pitch, just the hand drill method which quickly wore into the antler.

However, looking at the shape I thought 'why stop there?', with a bit of extra work (I admit I used the dremel for the next bit) I added a copper rod to one end for pressure flaking, a notch for straightening arrow shafts and the other end functions well as a soft deer antler hammer for my knapping. I finished it off with a hole to take a landyard or leather cord so I can hang it about my person.

Pic 1. shows the pressure flaking end.
Pic 2. shows the notch.
Pic 3. shows the hole used as a bearing block.
Pic 4. the antler used as a soft hammer.

Thanks for looking and I hope the pics work as none of the site features like smilies, picture links etc. work on a mac! (I have since learnt that I'm a numpty who should look more closely at the user CP and the features therein - everything works fine on my mac now!)

P.S. I managed to get an ember out of my new bow drill set in about ten minutes this morning in the mist using Ron Hood's method of a bumpy cord and a faceted drill, wish I'd seen that DVD before doing my fundamental!! It took me all week to get one there and that was in summer on fine, dry days! I even used willow too make sure the playing field was level as it were.

Attachments

• DSC01037.JPG
    DSC01037.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC01038.JPG
    DSC01038.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC01039.JPG
    DSC01039.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC01036.JPG
    DSC01036.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 137

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE