Primitive Living

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emile

Mar 19, 2009
Edinburgh
I'm interested in what people think of a 'primitive living' lifestyle for themselves, as it strikes me as one long, all inclusive, bushcraft session. perhaps some of you have already done this or are still doing this, or are considering it, or would if circumstances allowed it?

How many people want to dabble, how many have no interest, and who's posting on the forum from a solar power lap top in their canvas wall tent next to a 3-dog stove wearing a mix of bever pelts and woven flax fabric?

the definition of 'primitive living' will probably vary somewhat per person, but I'm not to sure it matters, everyone i'm sure knows roughly what is implied.
When I think of primitive living I don't mean becoming a hermit or shunning the rest of the world necessarily, although alienation may happen or be desired by some people to some extent, i dont consider it a prerequisite.

To me it means essentially a near total voluntary reliance on bushcraft skills (another loosely defined term) to maintain an acceptable standard of living over an undefined period. I looked through the forum but, to my knowledge, its not been discussed yet (?).

My thoughts on it are that I'd like to have a go at it for maybe a couple of months, and I hesitate to think any further than that as I wont know until I've tried, but if I don't post for a while, you'll know the answer :)

Sep 22, 2008
Tullinge, Sweden
I'd like to try it for a few months or so, but right now i feel like I'm in a stage of my life where i cant really spare a few months.
Too much else going on.

But who knows, in five years or so.

I'd like to be on the fringe of society - living as self sufficiently as possible, crafting your own shelters, sourcing food etc - but the second the kids get ill I want to be straight into the 21st century cutting edge hospital with all technological bells and whistles added on.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
I'd like to be on the fringe of society - living as self sufficiently as possible, crafting your own shelters, sourcing food etc - but the second the kids get ill I want to be straight into the 21st century cutting edge hospital with all technological bells and whistles added on.

Yes, natives will leave the jungle to get medical treatment or to trade but they then go back into the jungle to continue their life and stay away from us. There's a big difference between going to "civilisation" for what you need and having it come to you and destroying your lifestyle.

The important matter is to know what you have and protect it. I have read this comment about health care many times before, and it is used in the "all or nothing" context - a sort of blackmail.

Instead of "either/or", we should think in terms of "not only/but also".

A monk asked, "How does one escape hot and cold?"
"Why not go where there is neither hot nor cold?" said the Master
"What sort of place is neither hot nor cold?" asked the monk
"When it is cold, you freeze to death. When it is hot, you swelter to death"

Tung-shan (807-69)

I have read this comment about health care many times before, and it is used in the "all or nothing" context - a sort of blackmail.

Not really an 'all or nothing' situation - the problem is getting the buggers to leave you alone when you don;t want to be involved in mainstream society.

Maybe Bushcrafters could lobby for similar rights that are afforded to travellers / gypsies - we all decide to decend on a wood and camp out and the local council are legally obliged to provide a free portaloo and healthcare? ;)

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Not really an 'all or nothing' situation - the problem is getting the buggers to leave you alone when you don;t want to be involved in mainstream society.

Maybe Bushcrafters could lobby for similar rights that are afforded to travellers / gypsies - we all decide to decend on a wood and camp out and the local council are legally obliged to provide a free portaloo and healthcare? ;)

Well, we can do our own composting and the NHS already exists - but yes - we can claim that we are a cultural minority returning to the ways of our ancestors - like the Saani or native americans.

If we wanted to, we could research how land was stolen from the native people of this country by the monarchs, aristocracy, barons and their camp followers and demand that some land be given back so that we can follow our old traditions :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE