Preparedness, do any practise it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I would like to see how "they" put a ring of steel around any town, let alone a city. They might be able to put a road block up on all the roads leading in or out, but how would they stop anyone just walking out across the fields?

:lmao::lmao:

Very easy to stop people IMHO, there would be no fuel in a few days, strategic road blocks, helicopters etc, you'd be pretty much stuffed from day one. What you going to carry in your pack for long term UK survival? Nothing that would really count long term:mexwave:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Don't need fuel for walking:lmao:, but apart from that why would you, preparedness isn't about worrying about the powers that be shutting the roads and controlling the masses, it is more about the water board cutting the water off for a few hours to fix a broken pipe or the leccy being down for a few days, maybe even a bit of snow stopping people moving around.

Oh and of course TPTB would need enough people to operate the lock-down and shut-in, something they haven't really got even for a little place like the UK:rolleyes:

green elk

Sep 25, 2008
out there
And you think 'they' would let you leave the city? Can't control you if your out in the countryside can they.:lmao:

No idea who "they" are, but it's heck of a work to guard 234km cityborder when things get messy inside those borders. Additionally one of the least populated areas is close by and i have enough od kit to not get caught. :D I dunno what you folks consider a "crash" to be, but i don`t think i'll ever make a "propper target" that justifies a heli to be launched.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Don't need fuel for walking:lmao:, but apart from that why would you, preparedness isn't about worrying about the powers that be shutting the roads and controlling the masses, it is more about the water board cutting the water off for a few hours to fix a broken pipe or the leccy being down for a few days, maybe even a bit of snow stopping people moving around.

Oh and of course TPTB would need enough people to operate the lock-down and shut-in, something they haven't really got even for a little place like the UK:rolleyes:

I've enough done for me and the family to last about three months, maybe more, in a real national **** we are all stuffed mate. Can't say **** now? ... .... .. _ ..-. if you get my drift, getting a bit daft in censorship now ..-. ..-. ...

Last edited:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
No idea who "they" are, but it's heck of a work to guard 234km cityborder when things get messy inside those borders. Additionally one of the least populated areas is close by and i have enough od kit to not get caught. :D I dunno what you folks consider a "crash" to be, but i don`t think i'll ever make a "propper target" that justifies a heli to be launched.

Wrong!

The heli' is launched!

Roflcopter.gif

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK

Resistance is futile!

The back up squadron are on standby!
helicopter.gif

2985123112_fc0e37fb17.jpg
lego-city-police-helicopter.jpg
normal_thomastown18.jpg
BoBo_Talking_Helicopter_Toy.jpg

Jakata

Dec 16, 2009
Northampton
It depends entirely on how bad the situation is. If it was a virus that killed a lot of people (75%+) then I would think it would be likely someone with knowledge of self sufficiency would be able to survive.
If it was nuclear then we are all buggered, for a start its unlikely you would know where the strikes were, there would be very little news and any infrastructure left would buckle within days, then there is the fallout afterwards, depending on the wind most of the UK would be covered, not to mention the strategic placement of our reactors means that if they were hit there is a nice big ring around the country of radioactive zones. A good film about this is an old BBC one, called Threads.
If it was the collapse of the social structure, financial collapse, food runs out in the shops, fuel runs, government failure etc out then no amount of survival skills would help you, you would be fighting the other millions of people for anything left, including any livestock. Having a "bag by the door" would be pointless. I very much doubt many of them would care about sustainability either. Any woodland we have left would be stripped within months for fires, any animals, wild or farmed would be killed for food, the country would be dead within a year. The best you could do is find a nice cave up in the highlands or something, you would still meet "competitors" not all friendly. People soon turn to their violent nature when they have mouths to feed.

We are prepared for a few days of disruption, be it electrical failure or weather, we carry in the cupboards two weeks worth of food most of the time, torches and candles are all in the same place, our house is old and draughty so we have plenty of warm blankets stashed.

Its nice to dream though and there is no harm in it, if anything its good for the mind. Problem solving and thinking of possible flaws in a plan helps in every day to day job.

galew

Tenderfoot
One thing that does worry me is if it all went wrong, and law and order fell by the wayside a bit, personal protection from looters and the like would be difficult. Apart from barricading yourself into your own home, there isn't really any way of dealing with it. I believe Lofty Wiseman did a book about urban survival which I'm sure I once had a quick flick through and saw a couple of interesting things like how to convert your house in the event of a catastrophe so tha you could use a normal wood fire in the home. It involves knocking windows out to give you ventilation, and also requires a fire proof floor, and thee were other things in there that showed a bit of thought on the matter.

I am currently reading a book on my PC by Bruce Clayton about life after a nuclear war. Most of the stuff inside is revolving around the aftermath of a nuclear first strike, but could so easily be adapted to a plague or pandemic, drought or any other type of natural disaster. The book is written for american survivalists in mind, and gives another name for them, retreaters. It is quite a good read so far, the book is called Life after Doomsday and is available on Amazon for a tenner.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...81511?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1183743379&sr=8-1
I agree it is an excellent book

Feb 10, 2010
Wales

Hi Torak
I use this handgrinder and get my wheat stored in 20L bins from Brow farm. I think it's free delivery.

The Brow Farm Back To Basics Grain Mill / Wheat Grinder - Hand Crank
£43.25

http://www.browfarmwheatproducts.co.uk/bread_wheat.htm

stardust

Oct 15, 2007
somerset
I have just read this thread from start to finish and found it incredibly interesting.

I wouldn't say I was particularly prepared, but my lifestyle lends itself very well to survival, in that I try and live in a very eco-conscious and self sufficient way. We have solar lights, water containers, paraffin lanterns, candles, fire pit and woods nearby, etc. I quite like planning survival for huge disasters, just for fun, but I don't lose sleep over it. I refer to it (in a very tongue in cheek manner) as my zombie apocalypse plan. My survival kit also contains my pirate flag!

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Great to see this old thread again. Over the last couple of years my view has changed. Initially I had assumed the "normal" position.

But with a couple of local water outages, a spell of redundancy & MrsBG early retirement we have discovered it is vital to our personal family sustainability to have a reasonable stock of food, water, cooking & lighting options. :campfire:

What about killing the MZB? I think I can leave that discussion to others.:)

Go on, try it. Prepping makes a lot of common sense.
My 2p,
G

hurplegrappers

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
R.C.T. South Wales
I have just read this thread from start to finish and found it incredibly interesting.

I wouldn't say I was particularly prepared, but my lifestyle lends itself very well to survival, in that I try and live in a very eco-conscious and self sufficient way. We have solar lights, water containers, paraffin lanterns, candles, fire pit and woods nearby, etc. I quite like planning survival for huge disasters, just for fun, but I don't lose sleep over it. I refer to it (in a very tongue in cheek manner) as my zombie apocalypse plan. My survival kit also contains my pirate flag!

I'll second that :)

I bought a dehydrator a few months ago and have been building up a collection of nutritious delights then vacuum packing them and storing in my basement along with many other implements previously mentioned here. Water containers, gravity purifiers etc etc...

As Stardust said it's not taken too seriously, all tongue in cheek but I have started using and replacing goods in rotation which is great! and.............. ahhum........ YOU NEVER KNOW lol

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
England has the biggest population per square kilometre in Europe. Fact. If law and order broke down, we're pretty much all stuffed. Those living in the countryside would be attacked by hordes of gangs looking to loot whatever's available, after finishing preying on the weak in the cities and towns.

Reality is that the safest option is probably a scottish island with sheer rock walls and only one landing point, that could be defended. Either that, or join the biggest gang and wait until 95% of the current population has died, and agronomic population sustainability has been reached. Then all one has to worry about is invasions from Europe looking for lebenstraum.......

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I think England has 383 people per sq km - so it's behind the Netherlands, Monaco, St Marino, Jersey, Guernsey, Malta and Vatican City.

All the same, I am much happier living in Scotland, with an average density of around 70 people per sq km, or better still, in the highlands (8 people per sq km)

Feb 22, 2009
Thundersley, Essex
I've just read this thread from the start, I may have missed the odd bit so forgive me if I repeat anything.
If I had the time and money I'd like to fix this place up for a holiday home/ bug out place. http://subterrain.org.uk/maunsell/part2.html

For those of you with some land and a bit of money how about something like this. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/32ft-anti-van...ners_Pre_Fab_Buildings_ET&hash=item1c127b4586

They could be modified to lock securely from the inside, or even buried.

I can see some peoples point that if you get too carried away it could take over your life.

I'm just about to take over about two acres of land so one of those containers would be great, I've had chickens a while now and have just started keeping pigs. Sheep and ducks or geese to follow. I'm just getting into growing my own veg as well. I think a large diesel tank could also soon be hidden there and a large water tank for collecting rain water for the veg/animals.

For those of you thinking of going of to places like Skye, just think that every person who is related to anyone on the island would be thinking the same as would anyone who has visited there. It would soon become over run or very hostile to outsiders.

Personaly I think that if something goes wrong it will be more along the lines of transport failure or utility services. If it's something big then I hope it's quick getting rid of the competition.

I don't need books if it all goes wrong, I've got the internet....lol

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
I know this is a fairly old thread but if I am totally honest its something I think about every day.
I was of the opinion that the 2012 scare was as many people say and believe, just another end of the world prophecy which was always a few years away and to all intents and purposes never came about!! the millenium bug and all that!! BUT!!!! recently and purely by accident I came across something on you tube which turned my thinking more than a little....
Governer jesse ventura in america was doing an investigation into the 2012 thing and the apparent massive shelter building programme undertaken by the elite people over there!! I cant fully explain it all in detail here but please watch jesse ventura conspiracy theorys 2012 over on youtube??
there are six parts to it and some startling revelations!!
Imyself go along with the preparedness idea myself. but dont relish the idea of staying in this local authority housing estate in the event of any real emergency situation!!
I have been building up supplies of canned gear and all the stuff most of us have mentioned on here. and I have even added a couple tins of baby milk should anyone need it and cant get any.. but drug use and thievery are rife. in this area which is rated as one of the areas worst. only a couple months ago a man recieved terrible facial wounding after his daughter had her pet guinnee pig stolen and sold by local hoodlums. the man went asking about the animal and offering them money for its return. the result!! 35 stitches in his face!!
so in effect doing a good turn to help someone by offering them milk for thieir baby may not be such a good idea!! if the people you help are so inclined helping them may even make you a target for a return visit so they can take everything else you may have..!!! if they will beat old ladies for a couple of pounds for drug money. in the present properly governed climate. what would they be capable of.if law and order was to breakdown!! I shudder to think.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, dont worry about me, I was just searching for a loophole in Planks Constant...

...If I could find it i could enter the Quantum World and annoy the hell out of all those Forteans by being in two places at once.

I have one of those containers, its great for putting things in

DV...

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2010
East of England
Prepping isn't just about mutant, zombie, sheeple :) It's about reducing the risk. IE If there's a loss of main services you don't have to suffer. If we have 2" of snow life still goes on. Prepping is taking every day "insurance" to a higher level :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE