"Survive: The Disaster, Crisis and Emergency Handbook" by Jerry Ahern Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
To be honest as soon as I saw who the author was, I knew I'd not need to read the book.
I went through a pretty serious Jerry Ahern phase in my teens, and have all the "Survivalist" books in a box somewhere.
However, if you plan to survive the coming Zombiepocalypse, JA is probably your man (complete with Detonics Combat Masters)
:D

Have you actually got them all? Keep in mind I think there are nearly 30. I am missing some in the 20's.

He was a director of Detonics for a while.

I think he is a good writer most of the time. He just has these bad habits i.e. I bet anyone who has read more than one can almost quote line for line his description of anything carried by John Rouke.

Agreed - I think you can take some good ideas from the book but much is irrelevant. Certainly for me anyway.

In terms of vehicles, he recommended a good pickup, which is probably quite a good idea really, although, what you gain in cargo space, you lose in cab space. Horses for courses.

If in UK you buy Land Rover, best 4 x 4 ever made. Maybe you look hard at Hi Lux, even Hi Lux like you describe, lots of extras for your pound.

You in US, whole different story, they got pick ups that start the size of a 130, and then get bigger. The big Fords are huge vehicles.

He does have certain set ideas, and I do really wonder about some of them (Harleys top of that list). That said I think the most interesting thing about people's viewpoint comes from the first survivalist book, everyone tells him he is wrong in what he is doing, until it all goes wrong.

We get flooding, over a year before some people could go back.

I know people who now have a BOB, most important item in it is paperwork. Why have one, because they do not want to run round the house like a mad person looking for stuff as their house floods.

I know someone else who sold his expensive 4x4 made by a nice German company, when they had fixed it after a flood. The fuse boxes are on the floor, it not like big puddle.

Know someone else who has food in pantry because of snow. If it snows it takes about 3 days on average for the plows to reach them. Keep in mind they live in a normal area, not some far off part of the UK. This happens nearly everytime it snows.

Ok, look at Japan.

Could you plan to survive that, and stay there. No, I think if you live in a place that has these natural events, you are rolling the dice. I bet there are things you could do but money would get in the way.

The thing from my point of view would be, ok I survived it now what?

Do we have anything to learn from it? Yep, these events always have after effects. Japan's is power. Which could happen here, and did in London for 2 days a while back.

I think the main reason for this book putting forward different ideas is Survival! A survival book that does not touch on defense, is missing a wheel.

In the US, defense is the Gun.
A) Because you can get them.
B) So can nearly everyone else.
C) Parts, Ammo etc are not going to be a big problem.

In the UK, defense is not so easy.
A) Because the only people with guns are the law, or breaking it.
B) Even if you got one, what you do when out of bullets?
C) We have places were you could lock the door, and short of a tank or air support. No one getting in.

There is a really interesting character in the latter survivalist books, who is a Bushcrafter, or Jerry Ahern's take on one anyway. He goes out into the wilds, and explores. He can get ammo etc, but he carries black power weapons. His argument, is he can reuse and replace almost everything. The only time he would need civilisation is if he needs a new gun.

I think another example of were the point of survival is missed, is the medical book. A St John's book is written as if you have back up. The Military manual would be written so you could do a lot more. A modern first aid at work course is designed on the fact that you are 8 minutes away from help. That is why there is an Oil rig course, and Wilderness courses. Say four years after major manufactoring dies down, and the most valuable thing on the planet will be usable anti-bioticics. You can make a knife, but can you make useable drugs? Not to go to far down this road, but give a thought to pain meds....

A lot of this type of book is written with the end all event in mind. It comes from the cold war times, when that was a big threat. A small to mid level event is planning for a longer wait for back up to arrive or even taking yourself out of their way. I do not need help, because I have planned for this. A big event is planning to be your own back up, no one else is coming.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I understand and accept that the attitude to - and availability of - firearms in the US is significantly different to what it is in the UK but I would disagree that a book on survival must touch on defence. 'Survivalism', yes; 'Survival', no. I guess, again, that the attitudes and language in use here and in the US are different and can cause confusion (what is it they say? UK and US - two countries separated by a common language!).

As I mentioned, I think that this book has some really interesting ideas that you can take out and apply but I still believe that, for a UK audience, the book brings little to the party.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
All 27 numbered books and the two specials.
It took years of scouring charity shops, car boot sales, and ebay to track them all down.

Damn, I am missing a few of the twenty's including the last one, and never even seen a copy of the other special. Think it called The Wilderness.

I understand and accept that the attitude to - and availability of - firearms in the US is significantly different to what it is in the UK but I would disagree that a book on survival must touch on defence.
'Survivalism', yes; 'Survival', no. I guess, again, that the attitudes and language in use here and in the US are different and can cause confusion (what is it they say? UK and US - two countries separated by a common language!).

Defense has to play a part in Survival. The point of survival being to survive, and part of that has to be defensive thinking.

Survival is for me an Umbrella term for a set of skills. Basically any skill that helps you survive.

Survivalism is a Philosophy, a way of thinking and looking at the world.

I think you also have to take on board that we have different viewpoints and experinces. For a start, the size of the country. I think in the UK you can only ever be ten hours from people, and there is only one place without a road to it.

As I mentioned, I think that this book has some really interesting ideas that you can take out and apply but I still believe that, for a UK audience, the book brings little to the party.

The problem being that there is no UK version of a book like this.

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
But why make such an emphasis on guns for survival? Humans have dominated the species in this world for an awful long time and we survived as a race without guns ( although weapons were used for hunting i agree )

If the end is nigh and we are reduced to some apocalyptic state, guns are only going to dominate a time when weapons are the least of your problems. The mind set is, from what i can gather having not actually read the book, that is you can stock pile food, ammunition and a decent weapon, you're sorted.

In reality, you're most likely to die first as you don't have the necessary sense to adapt to your surroundings, i know i'd rather carry an appropriate tool for the situation.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
in the event of TEOTWAWKI, weapons would be very much needed. especially for those that have food, water, meds, nice shelter. when your normally perfectly happy and socialable nieghbour hasn't eaten for weeks, his kids are crying with hunger and his wife is seriously ill with an infection, his survival instincts will kick in... the most basic being "survival of the fittest" which in some situations means "survival of the most dominant"

admittedly, firearms are only as useful as the number of rounds you have to go with them, but like nukes, the point isnt necessarily to use them but rather the threat of them

though, as us minions are very much needed by the rich to keep them in their comforts, it would take TEOTWAWKI rather than the much more likely 'short term failures' due to flooding, snow, fuel shortages or a terrorist event where basic survival skills such as the ability to clean up water, supplement the garage food stocks and generate heat in the absence of gas and electric for the month or so before societal back ups kick in

we had a months supply of food in store..... the date approached for cycling it so ate it and am yet to replace it! ooops lol.

will be getting Codys book as i just like the guy, makes me laugh :)

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
in the event of TEOTWAWKI, weapons would be very much needed. especially for those that have food, water, meds, nice shelter. when your normally perfectly happy and socialable nieghbour hasn't eaten for weeks, his kids are crying with hunger and his wife is seriously ill with an infection, his survival instincts will kick in... the most basic being "survival of the fittest" which in some situations means "survival of the most dominant"

admittedly, firearms are only as useful as the number of rounds you have to go with them, but like nukes, the point isnt necessarily to use them but rather the threat of them

Which backs up my point, if your going to continue to live in a suburban environment with neighbours toting guns, then more fool you i say.

' Don't worry honey i got several thousand rounds and 50 cal in the garage, no one's taking our supplies....'

Adapt to the situation, move away from the cooking pot of idiots who feel the need to express their dominance with guns and all manner of daft objects, because when the last person standing after the massacre ends is going to suddenly be very alone and in a worse state then if guns were never introduced to the equation.

Survival is ultimately about adapting to the situation, showing dominance will only work for so long before you have to make a decision, do i shoot the neighbour in case he wants my supplies? Why stop there? Why not the whole street, the town, why not everyone and soon you become power hungry, but try not to forget that the guy living next door, down the street or over the other side of town could be feeling the same.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I find this a fascinating topic. Should one plan for a TEOTWAWKI situation? To be honest, not much pooint if you're living in the UK. OTher than maybe the Scottish Highlands, you're pretty much stuffed - 60+million people living in a small island - no possibility of living off the land, even if you weren't "taken out" by marauding gangs of desperate looters. Last estimate, for example, that I saw showed the rabbit population to be 60 million in the UK - that's one per person! The only sensible thing to do imo is to buy a sailboat (my preference would be for a cruising catamaran) and head offshore at the earliest opportunity. Lots of food at sea, easy to collect fresh water from rain, and fewer looters!

Short term loss of services is different. And its here where some degree of planning re basic suppplies probably makes sense - food/water/heat/basic medical supplies and the knowledge to use them - would come in.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
' Don't worry honey i got several thousand rounds and 50 cal in the garage, no one's taking our supplies....'

Either that or you're in Libya.

In Iraq, we once got a tip-off once about an illegal weapons cache near Balad. Went to have a poke around and found some old guy with a 12.7mm quad-mount Russian anti-aircraft trailer in his garage. Said he was saving if for when the Government wanted it back. Now I see he was perhaps was just sorting out his survival stores?

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I'd recommend Dmitri Orlov's Reinventing Collapse. He is a Russian who lives in the US but spent time in Russia through the collapse. He draws many parallels between the 2 sytems (USSR and US) despite their apparant differences, but argues the US setup makes it far less likely to pull through the inevitable collapse. You can apply this to the UK as well. Even if you disagree with his very down to earth analysis, it's worth reading for his excellent Russian sense of humour.

Amazon link here; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reinventing...6064/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301909898&sr=8-1

ClubOrlov (blog) link here; http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/

Magentus

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE