11 to 14 September 2015 ~ Rough Close OTS Meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
IF, and a big if, anyones interested I am out of hospital. Narked at being here at home and not with you folks. Can not shift from my mind, if any one had what I had 50 years ago (not a huge length of time) chances are they would have died. Here I am at home on meds after 3 days!

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
What was wrong HM?
Pneumonia
Without wanting to hijack the thread, early hours tue I had a cough, wee hours wed I am in.
The hospital has a 24 hour GP service, like a filter to the main hospital in a way. Went in, was asked name and problem, listened to chest, picked up phone and she told, not asked, the ward I had a bed.
At one time I was on an IV, having an injection into my tummy fat, a huge needles worth stuff in via the other catherter, pills and nebulizer. First 12 hours a bit of a blur really. Then in no time at all I am arguing with the consultant about going home.

Already determined to be at the November meet if I remember the dates right.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Glad to hear you're out already...

Thanks Phil for organising this and all who were able to attend. Was great to get out and relax for a couple nights, just what was needed.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thanks to all of those who attended. It was a nicely chilled affair (bit wet on occassion! ;) :rofl:

It was good to catch up with old faces and nice to meet the new :D

I've only got home this eve (Tuesday) so haven't had the opportunity to post earlier :eek: I didn't take many pics, I'll look through them in the morning and see if any are worth putting up.

Anybody else get hit by the dreaded chiggers ~ it's the first time they've hit me in the past couple of years :( . But I've been munched worse in the past :)

... I am out of hospital. Narked at being here at home and not with you folks.

Sorry you missed out but I'm glad to hear you're back at home. Here's hoping to a reasonably* rapid recovery

The TORM thread has been live for a while ~ from 15:00 onwards on Thursday 12 through to departure before 12:00 (midday/noon) on Monday 16 November. There's no requirement to be there for the whole duration.

* For the condition. I know some who've had it and it isn't a breeze to get back to health.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Ya, chiggers. I have my share of bites. Like you I've had worse Phil but they had a good feed at my expense.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Thanks for the kind words from a tired, narkked, wanted to be campper, who still feels amazed when he breathes in; how good a lung FULL feels!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Ya, chiggers. I have my share of bites.

Though I'd rather no one be grazed on I'm kinda glad to not be on my own (sorry :eek: ).

Like you I've had worse Phil but they had a good feed at my expense.

I've been munched in atypical places ... Definitely chiggered but not in _all the right places_ . I have bites on and below the sock line, which you'd expect, but I also got hit on the fronts and sides but not the back of my knees :dunno: . And due to wearing my standard compression shorts I expected (after munching both legs) to get hit in that region too but ... nothing , not a single one :confused:

Thanks for the kind words from a tired, narkked, wanted to be campper, who still feels amazed when he breathes in; how good a lung FULL feels!

I've not had pneumonia but I do have a respiratory condition. Being able to breathe is fantastic! :approve: I hate to think, had the Meet been the w/e prior, what the falling moisture and barometric tapdancing would have done for your oxygen absorbtion :yikes:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... I didn't take many pics, I'll look through them in the morning and see if any are worth putting up.

Some pics ... not particularly brilliant :eek: :D

Not all of my kit for the duration but this is what I walked in with. The easy life luxuries were delivered later and by car :eek: ;)

And, gratuitously, from the other side ...

The bed's good to go but, for the added comfort, a Hounsfield Safari camp bed was added later that day. I find it very comfortable but as it must weigh in at 5kg it's a luxury ... it arrived later :lmao:

Pack, heavy and very nearly bombproof :D It spent a fair bit of the Meet in its pack cover ...

Meets are also good settings for trialling and testing. I wanted and needed to test my No.12 stove under camping conditions ~ and, again, at roughly 5kg plus the weight of the No.2/No.12 mess tin you can bet it was carted in for me! :eek: :rofl: . Home made burgers ... :dancer:.

I also wanted to see whether you could toast on a simmer ring/heat diffuser plate. Not perfect, but pretty good.

Gratuitous flame shot ...

Norgy cooler was (yet) another luxury which makes life more comfortable and provides easy solutions. Proper coffee is a necessity! Stronger than it looks too ;)

Obligatory glitter ball.

Small wood pile under the communal tarp.

You have to find a missed/lost tent peg ... This one was so close to being buried that I'd initially thought it was a sliver of tin foil and then spent an age digging it out ... it was a Vaude Easton Aluminium jobbie. I have no idea what's in the clay layer which held so fast :yikes: ...

:yikes:

Steve had brought his fire pit for communal use but had to leave on the Sunday. With just two of us remaining an Aldi/Lidl folding BBQ did for the remaining time (delivered with the luxury items :) )

Thanks for looking.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I got home yesterday after having had a great time in the woods and a very successful business trip tagged on the end:)
A few photos
The reason I have 2 tarps on my pitch is that I had neglected to proof the seam on my canvas tarp and the hanging points became like taps when the heavens opened!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE