Prefered fire lighting method

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What would be your prefered method of fire-lighting?

• Drill & Bow (Fire by Friction)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Hand Drilling (Fire by Friction)

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Flint and steel

Votes: 77 15.2%
  • Firesteel

Votes: 254 50.0%
  • Fire Piston

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Lighter

Votes: 99 19.5%
  • Match

Votes: 29 5.7%
  • Other methods

Votes: 8 1.6%

• Total voters

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I had to choose Other Methods - to go along with my choice of Preferred method.

Have a buddy along to start the fire!!!!!!!

But, of the listed choices?

Let's see now, chemicals are out (especially after the 70's), the laser is in the shop along with the flame thrower, Willie Pete rounds are illegal for most people, and those little "devices" from Area 51 are ... um ... err ... never mind.

I would go with Flint and Steel. Hey, I make them. What would you expect me to say?

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Anywhere but home and the streets I will use a firesteel automatically, but if given time and materials like others I would try a fire bow, I don't have a fire piston but I could be persuaded.

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
not too pc but a collegue once started a fire in extremely challenging conditions with a pen flare, bloody dangerous but hey ho....

Skadoo

Apr 25, 2007
Australia
I learned first off with a flint and steel, and I will always use flint and steel - I love the satisfaction that follows the hard work involved to get the charcloth to catch the sparks. It gets easier every time which Is awesome.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I voted firesteel/ fireflash/ sparkstick (or whatever we're calling it this week) as that's the method I always try to use when lighting a fire. It's so practical yet easy to use once you've ot the hang of it.
Having said that, I always carry a lighter or matches just incase things get difficult.

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
A little Humor is in order...

In order from least favorite (or tedious rather) to most common and efficient:

1. Fission Technology - Portable ICBM - this is a great option if you have a troupe of sherpas willing to trek it in. Also produces a bigger blazing hot fire faster than anything else known to man. Some assembly required and very difficult to purchase without license.
2. Chemical Technology - Napalm, phosphorous - This "old-school" jungle demon has scorched more marshmellows than anything made from fibrous pulp over the past 100 years. With exception to forest fires, Napalm looks to be the easiest most affordable method for cooking production on a mass scale (let's not forget gel fuels here too!). Some assembly required. Chemical availability varies from country to country. Some restrictions may apply
3. Friction Technology - Bow, Hand, Sticks - Russian firefighters are not allowed to carry lighters. Rather than using friction and hours worth of valuable sleep time needed from fighting fires, They choose to eat their food raw (national geographic has an article on this somewhere). Granted, the hours necessary to dry the wood and then produce embers are faster with a bow, but firefighters are not allowed to carry bows. Some assembly required. Please consult with physician prior to intense physical activity associated with this technique.
4. Electroluminescence Technology - Lightning bugs, Swamp gas - It stands to be said that it is a chance possibility that a spark could be created by slamming your hand on top of a nest of lightning bugs. This is untested theory which science is still trying to prove.
5. Friction Chemical Spark Technology - Firesteel, Magnesium, Thermite - This is the greatest of backup firestarting technologies. When matches, a lighter, ICBM are not available, properly placed dry tinder will snatch up the big hot burning sparks in no time. Oxydized magnesium or aluminum make incredible spark catchers and have been known to burn in excess of 2300-4300 deg Fh! Good thing they don't pack that in armore piercing shells. No assembly required. For ages 12 and over.
6. Friction Chemical Technology Upgrade - Match - Imagine the look on the kings eyes after you step out of your time machine and lite up a cigarette with a match! instant fire, bellowing smoke.. the dragon reincarnate! Instant fire makes everyone happy. Thanks to recent advances in sulphur technology, the smell of rotten eggs has been reduced to almost nothing.No assembly required. Avoid wet storage.
7. Ultimate Gas-Powered-Renewable-Recycleable Flame Production Unit - Lighters, blow torche - From Zippos to Bics, from convenience store lighters to Colibri... Nothing can compare to the compact indespensible nature of the modern day lighter. No assembly required. Avoid dispensing of lighter in coals after realizing it is out of fuel.

After all, when we leave our houses with our kits, gear, and everything else, why adhere to the technology of a bygone era to hinder our desired harmony with the outdoor expedition?
For most of us, our gear does not include a 20 kg. cast iron dutch oven (doubles as a bullet proof helmet for people with large necks).. on occasion, however, sherpas will accomodate for the right price:rolleyes:

edispilff

pag_3833

May 9, 2007
suffolk - uk
traderran said:
All tho I can use a fire steel. I prefer a match or lighter. Works for me as
I am a smoker.

I'm a smoker too, I carry a lighter with me at all times as its easieer when walking to spark up but when i go to light a fire when camping i always try to light it without lighter or matches as its cheating in my opinion. I like the challenge of trying to get wet silver birch to light and so on

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
My favourite method is to use a mini flare. Great if you NEED to light a fire in wet conditions !

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
As a non smoker I use my flint and steel as it is always in my kitbag but when I remember it I use my turbo lighter most of the time, also as a little aid inner tubes slit into thin strips work a treat

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Fro me Preffered = most effective in all conditions. .
If it gets wet - Blast match
If it gets broke - Blast match

It wont run out of fuel it works wet or dry (just shake it) I've never failed to get a fire going.

However I do carry Matches and a lighter with me just in case but I would have to be in trouble to have to use them.

Kev

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Road flare..........only kidding. But they are used by SAR in the US to light immediate fires to warm up just rescueds.

I carry about a dozen red matches, a small disposable lighter and a fire steel. My survival tin has a small zip lock baggie with about 5 or 6 cotton wool balls smeared in vaseline and I also have some maya dust. I find that the collected fluff from tumbledryers works a treat as does the fluff collected from thistles in late summer/autumn.

I keep meaning to practice bow and drill, but........

African

Mar 12, 2007
Stevenage
Hiya

Fire steel for me and for survival tins try a tampon!!! Loads of cotton wool compressed very small. Got a water resistant wrapper on it as well! All you do is cut a slice off and fluff it up and its ready to go.

Bob's your ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE