Prefered fire lighting method

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What would be your prefered method of fire-lighting?

• Drill & Bow (Fire by Friction)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Hand Drilling (Fire by Friction)

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Flint and steel

Votes: 77 15.2%
  • Firesteel

Votes: 254 50.0%
  • Fire Piston

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Lighter

Votes: 99 19.5%
  • Match

Votes: 29 5.7%
  • Other methods

Votes: 8 1.6%

• Total voters

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I prefer flint, steel and charcloth, as that seems to me to be the most authentic method for the UK.

But all (well, maybe not the ICBM!) methods presented here are valid - you have to judge yourself why you are lighting a fire and how you want to light it. I personally like the idea of trying to imitate my ancestors, but in practise, I think that most people at a given time will use the most advanced /affordable /available technology that is around - unless you're a weirdo bushcrafter like me. :)

If, let us say, the Vikings had access to matches, would they have continued to use flint and steel? I think not, unless there were stone age re-enactors among the Vikings (OK, by definition stone age people would not have had steel)...

Geoff

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
i think my least favourite way of lighting a fire would be my own instantaneous ( im sure i spelt that wrong) combustion.
Sure you have the advantage of instant heat but i think that would be outweighed by the whole searing pain and imminant death.
Overwise i voted for the hand drill if uneducated and less evolved beings could manage it then modern man should have no probs lol.
The drill is an artform but i think like peeing when drunk once it has been mastered it will be a life long benifit

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I'm beginning to like the use of potassium permanganate and engine coolant.
Although I still prefer my Ultimate Survival Ferocium rod & striker kit with WetFire.

Yonderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 17, 2007
NW Alberta, Canada
I prefer to use a firesteel. I always carry a lighter and matches with me, but seem to always reach for the firesteel.
I can get a coal with some consitency using a bow drill but have never had any success with a hand drill.
I like using a flint and steel for the historical aspect but the firesteel is more convenient for me.

Cephas

Jul 9, 2007
Chaves, Portugal
Well, i voted matches, and it is the method i use the most for my fire lighting needs, and i also use my trusty zippo lighter. I don't like gas lighters, and i love the sound of the zippo opening. :) But, i have to be honest, my bushcraft fire lighting methods are, some what, very bad. :( Need practice. And i never used flint and steel or fire steel or fire piston... Shame on me... :(

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
it's hand drill for me too there is just something so good about getting a coal that way, i've not had much chance to practcice recently so my hands wont be up to much hand drilling this summer. but i'll still be having a go.

J*

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I'd like to see this! Doesn't the mini flares just shoot out and reck your fire bundle?

My mini flares have an expiry date of 12/07 so this is gonna be interesting!
I've got a couple of hand-flaires, myself & a friend joked about using it to light a fire one wet day. I was just wondering the expiry date on mine are a couple of years out :( but they have been very well looked after (mostly in a draw all their life), should I dispose of them do you think? or do you think they'd be alright to use? volatile maybe? lol.

Firesteel, haven't lit a fire with matches or lighter for years now, and that includes an occasion with 9 nurses, a bus driver, a few rabbits and the biggest hailstorm I've seen for years, did cheat on that one with some cotton wool balls covered in vaseline(emergency use only)

Do have a fire bow when I feel energetic
Lost eyebrows with potassium permanganate and glycerin, lots of fun tho'
Flint and steel is particularly satisfying
Would love to try fire piston
Fire by distress flare is scary, fun, but scary

Aug 20, 2007
Well i prefer the lighter but i was taught by a very good fire maker in scouts and he taught me how to use Flint and Steel but i still like to use the old tradition but i like to use my dads bow drill some times as its a bit of fun;)

Regards,

Chusney

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Firestell for speed and convenience ........

If I`ve got plenty of time to gather materials and the weather is dry you can`t beat the satisfaction of creating that little glowing ember with a bow and drill.

Never managed to get an ember with a hand drill although I`ve tried often enough. It might be due to the fact that I`ve got arms like a lady, don`t you know !

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Firesteel as the most reliable, I find it easier to start a fire with a firesteel than with a match or lighter - I suppose it's just habbit really. Bit of birch bark and a ferro rod seems to do the trick every time, though I do carry a 35mm film cannister of cotton balls soaked in vaseline as a backup, though again, easily lit with a firesteel. I also find firesteels the easiest and safest thing to use for lighting stoves, petrol, meths or gas. I would pick a firesteel over a lighter or box of matches any day. I keep one firesteel in the pocket of every coat and jacket I own.

For pleasure, next would have to be flint and steel. I have about half a dozen different steels and love em. They are easy enough to carry along with the necessary tinder, but the need for charcloth makes em unreliable as a first choice. Shame that, cos I do love to use the flint and steel. It seems to have the right combination of effort over result to make the most satisfying. The kit, when assembled into a pouch with some tinder and flint, makes a compact, traditional set that is a pleasure to handle in itself. So flint & steel gets the "satisfactioin" award from me. I do carry a tinder tube as well, which makes the need for charcloth less crucial. Good for lighting ciggies.

I really struggle with a firebow, I get knackered and have only got a coal once which I didnt manage to blow into flame due to lack of preparation. But I am putting together another, better firebow set to practice at home with. Hopefully, I'll get the hang of it, but I think it will always be an "emergency" solution, because of the huge effort involved when comparted to other methods.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I haven't voted in the poll,
Primarily because I'll use whatever method presents itself at the time. I can use all but the hand-drill from the list (and thanks to Rich59, I got an ember at the summer moot - so it won't be too long until I have a hand-drill fire) and regularly use most methods, as well as some that arent listed.
If the expectaion is results, I'll use the fastest method in my arsenal, but if the expectation is a primative method, then I'll use one of those.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE