Prefered fire lighting method

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What would be your prefered method of fire-lighting?

• Drill & Bow (Fire by Friction)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Hand Drilling (Fire by Friction)

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Flint and steel

Votes: 77 15.2%
  • Firesteel

Votes: 254 50.0%
  • Fire Piston

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Lighter

Votes: 99 19.5%
  • Match

Votes: 29 5.7%
  • Other methods

Votes: 8 1.6%

• Total voters

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I can and do ligth fires using friction and more usually a flint and steel, but that is normally when teaching the skill or demonstrating as an iron Age blacksmith.

If I'm honest though, my prefered mehtod of lighting a fire is with a lighter and a splash of parafin! that's how I do it when i'm at work everyday and it never fails, no matter what I'm trying to light! :D

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I also voted firesteel. I have a zippo but if that runs out of fuel as is often the case, a firesteel and cotton wool balls gets my fires going.

Never tried friction methods, they look difficult unless you have the right sort of wood to hand from what i've read and been told.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I voted flint and steel.

100_4744.jpg

But I also like my firesteel

100_4745.jpg

Simon.

Well,
I carry a firesteel in my pocket every day but my PREFERRED method is traditional flint and steel. I live in a area where the trappers and mountain men of the 1820's trapped and hunted and it just kinda feels "right" for me to carry on the tradition. There's just something magical in bringing a flame alive with a steel and a flint, watching that spark run through the charcloth and blowing the tinder into a bright flame like it was done for centuries. I know that sounds corny....! People have just forgotten the good things in life...it's all Ipods, cell phones, and TV now.

ady05

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
kings lynn, norfolk
after using traditional flint and steel for the first time a few days ago i will admit this is my preffered method now but i still carry my normal steel in my sheath :D :D

Mang

Settler
Hey SOAR, you must have a big tongue to balance your firelighting kit on to photograph! lol.

Can't see that anyone has mentioned magnesium shavings with a fire steel...

A link to another firelighting thread if anyone's interested...

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I like to carry some balloons stuffed with a few cotton balls, the balloon keeps the cotton dry and if it's really wet you can light the rubber. Not done it but I suppose you could pre-soak the cotton in vaseline before stuffing it in the balloons.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
LOL! Graham_S, you don't have a Keegan perm, red bandana and a penchant for sneaking up on little black-pyjama-clad South-East Asian fellas do you?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Re cottonwool stuffed balloons - if you use Vas on the cottonwool you may be endangering the rubber of the balloons! Vas is a petroleum jelly and this will degrade rubber (this is advice given re lubrication and condoms...by experts in their field....) and the ballooons may fall apart getting your cottonwool wet.
Not ideal it would seem...

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I voted for matches.
Mainly because I've never managed to light a fire with any friction method yet, and I still have to produce good feathersticks for the firesteel... :eek:

/ Karl

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Hey SOAR, you must have a big tongue to balance your firelighting kit on to photograph! lol.

Can't see that anyone has mentioned magnesium shavings with a fire steel...

A link to another firelighting thread if anyone's interested...

I've had no complaints;)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I originally voted for the use of a ferocium rod & striker set as my favourite, but now I have become relatively competent with a bow drill and the tradition flint & steel to get a fire going they have now become my personel favourites.:)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I thought long and hard about this. Two minutes later I came to this conclusion, that I didn't know enough about any fire starting method to have a favourite, there is just so much to learn even with a simple lighter and match. Perhaps in a few years I'll have it figured out.

Cheers, Nag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE