Prefered fire lighting method

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What would be your prefered method of fire-lighting?

• Drill & Bow (Fire by Friction)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Hand Drilling (Fire by Friction)

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Flint and steel

Votes: 77 15.2%
  • Firesteel

Votes: 254 50.0%
  • Fire Piston

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Lighter

Votes: 99 19.5%
  • Match

Votes: 29 5.7%
  • Other methods

Votes: 8 1.6%

• Total voters

typha

Mar 31, 2006
Lanarkshire Scotland
Out of the many different methods to make fire I have tried so far and the variations within each I would have to say my favourite methods would have to be hand drill or fire plough.
The hand drill and fire plough sets are relatively easy to construct even with a stone due to there simplistic design although they do require some stamina to be successful and they are not as effective as a bow drill in the damp U.K. climate.
Of course a lighter is the easiest way to light a fire but there is much more to learn about fire by practising the harder bushcraft methods.

Feb 22, 2008
Olean NY USA Earth
I think it's valuable and necessary to understand traditional methods. That said... When I'm backpacking i use a butane lighter backed up with waterproof matches.

Ivan

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2008
Southern California, USA
I prefer the hand drill. I have had success with every traditional method: Flint & steel, pyrite, bowdrill, handrill, pumpdrill, firesaw, firethong, fireplow, firepiston, burning lens, burning mirror. Did I miss any? I like the anthropological aspects. It's a form of ancestor worship for me. Maybe also because it was such a challenge early on. Now I am a master and enjoy demonstrating this to others and passing on this ancient torch, which may be as much as 200,000 years old. Invented just as our species was emerging and may well have been the invention responsible for our very success and development. Think about that.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I vote ANYTHING that actualy WORKS. I was out yesterday trying to get a cramp ball to take a spark....NOTHING...I tried another ball....and another....NOTHING. I suppose it could be the temperature of the sparks from the cheap thing im using (Its one of those big silver magnesium blocks with some kind of fliny rod stuck to the side), but in the end I gave up because my fingers were killing me!!

Anyone know where to buy a flame thrower??

SAS_MAN

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2008
highlands
i like to you the fire steel with birch bark. My friend recently cut down one of his birch trees so i have an unlimited supply of wood and bark. :D

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
I have found nothing quicker than the good old phosphorus grenade, although I have to admit you don't always want a fire fifteen metres across.
Fire steels are good, just not as quick and need careful preparation.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I didn't want to start a new thread just to say this, but my fire steel saved the day yesterday. It was only a bbq, but the fire steel has just gone up in my books from a secondary way of lighting fire to the primary method.

I took matches, a lighter, and kindling to try lighting a bbq by the river in York without firelighters, but it was too windy. Then I got some firelighters and the wind even put them out. I emptied the lighter and ran out of matches. then I found my fire steel in my bag, and re-lit the firelighters by casting a shower of sparks into the bbq.

Lighters and matches run out a lot easier in difficult circumstances, don't they? I'd normally think of 15 matches as being 15 fires, but on this occasion it was less than 1. It was only a bit of wind; what if it had been damp and I'd really needed the fire?

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I had to put firesteel, at first i struggled with it but upon finding Greater reedmace heads (bullrushes) its almost too easy. Very unlicky if i dont get a light with the first strike. If you have not tried them the downyness of them lights very easily but the flame just flickers across the surface and is gone in maybe 2 seconds (depending how much you use) so with a combination of other things ie grasses or birch bark if your lucky its really quite simple. I have use bits the same head now for maybe 10 fire starts and still have some left (it might be elping thats its house dry now too).

So now i need to practice with other tinder!
Ive heard that any of willowherbs with seed on mork well - i think they would provide everything from the initial flare to more woody material to actually burn a bit.

Im still desperate to try a bow drill, and flint and steel

Sao

May 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
At the moment it would have to be the firesteel for me.
It's quick and easy and doesn't seem quite as much of a cheat as a lighter or matches.
I have a fire piston but as yet have not been able to keep a piece of charcloth glowing for long enough to create a larger ember and ignite tinder with it.

having just purchased and recieved a traditonal flint and steel and spent this afternoon testing it (ok playing with it) i have voted for that as my favourite method of fire lighting it needs a bit more skill and perseverance to use that the firesteel or matches/lighter but it is very very satisfying to use and appeals to my wanting to be a bit more traditional
regards
Sam

Rob Tangtent

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2009
Warwickshire
matches, because i love the smell :)

and also there just right on the time scale side of things, not so primitive that they take awhile or arnt as conviniant, but not too modern.

that sounds abit odd

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
I must admit I prefer my fire steel for lighting but I would love to try a fire piston.
even though I have a lighter and survival matches in my kit.
bob

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
Fire pistons are lovely things, but hard work and need to be maintained, Fire by friction is nice to have knowledge of. I have demonstrated it many times to scouts etc but never needed to use it in practice. I think times would be hard if you had to rely on so much prep and hard work to get a fire going (but it is nice to have the confidence that you could if needed). Matches are prone to getting wet / damp / breaking and blowing out but I always carry a box of strike anywhere ones encased in wax for use as a last resort.

For me, you cant beat a length of para cord round your neck with a firesteel attached. Yes, you need to have some kind of tinder available to get it going, but, you are unlikely to be in a situation where it runs out, snaps or stops working because it is wet.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I was taught fire by friction this weekend. After a couple of goes I made fire - the grin on my face must have been like a Cheshire Cat!

It is a skill I intend to practice, but I still prefer flint and steel, although my most common method used is the ferro rod.

Simon

I prefere tinderbox, flint & steel when in the woods, though I have used the fire-bow. Flint and steel is a sustainable method, as is the fire-bow. But people need to stop using words like "charcloth" and stop using cotton and linen cloth. There are many plant tinders in the woods that work as good if not better than using cloth. If anyone is interested you will find an excellent and inexpensive book called "Primitive Fire Lighting-Flint and Steel" By Keith H. Burgess on these sites:
http://livinghistorytraders.blogspot.com/

http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/
Le Loup.

UltimateSurvivor

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2010
Richmond North Yorkshire.
Personally i use a firesteel. I always have one on my person and another contained in a "survival" pack that i always carry in my Bergen.

I love Creating Bow drills and enjoy the hand drilling method too. I use whichever is best for the situation i'm in :).

I never use tinder that has been "pre-made." I have no problem with others doing it. I just enjoy and prefer foraging for, or making some tinder.

Tal'.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE