Predator rucksack advice, please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Hi all

Was lucky enough to pick up an army version of the karrimor predator 45 today, for ....£35! I was actually after something a bit smaller for a day sack, but at that price I couldn't say no. I also took a couple of the plce side pouches which fit the zips on the side for an extra £10. :)

Now my problem is, I like it so much I'm thinking about using it for some hiking and camping, but being the army version it has no hip belt as it's meant to sit on your webbing/belt kit. Now being a wus I don't fancy having 20+kg on my shoulders for hours at a time, so I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on belt kits, etc. Whether they work like a hip belt, are comfy and take the weight, etc. Or if I should give up on that idea, and keep it for day hikes.

Thanks all

Mat

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
sell it!

i wouldnt start getting into belt kits unless you like the concept and want to deffo go that route. i would not consider a pack without a decent hip belt. without them, or with a sub standard one, its all made more hard work.
A belt kit would help but its always going to be heavier than a proper set of hip fins. also its a waste of time without the weight in it and the shoulder straps/yoke to help distibute the load, then you have a second set of straps under your rucksacks straps.
i wouldn't, personally, bother. unless of course you want to use the belt kit concept and then it would work.

my reasoning is why have a pack you cant use unless you use it with a secondary piece of kit, i would just use a pack with the hip fins.
i do approve of webbing i might say, its a good concept and people should be allowed to use what they like without judgement.
i reckon its like buying a side car cos you like the side car but you can only use it if you then buy the motorbike to go with it. you like the predator but you think you'll only get on with it if you buy another load carrying option.
this is of course just my opinion. belt kits are great, and very functional though. and they help you prioritise kit too.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
And I think you're probably right about the belt kit, I do actually really like the idea of the packs to keep everything organized and handy, but I don't want the hassle of a full webbing set.

Do you (or anyone else) have any expirience of the external frames, Alice or Molle? As again I've always fancied one for the modability (new word for the dictionary! Lol) And the pack has metal d rings at the top and bottom which I assume are foe fixing to a frame.

Thanks for your advice

Mat

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i have a large and medium alice pack. not used the molle.

the medium is better with weight in it as the large pack get bigger outwards not vertically like a mountain sack or bergen. this means the weight starts pulling you backwards instead of stacking upright and allowing you to manage the balance. the medium is good on the frame but is limited on space. also they make no attempt to be waterproof, and have no snowlock.
i've just sold a lowe alpine sting to a member on here, if you want a miliatry bag look at those. i was dead impressed with it, certainly better than most bags ive seen.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
also, the frames are very unforgiving and you'll find it hard going from a soft carry rucksack to an external frame. ALICE frames are prone to popping rivets if used with excessive weights and getting thrown around a lot. depends what you're going to put it thru.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
also, the frames are very unforgiving and you'll find it hard going from a soft carry rucksack to an external frame. ALICE frames are prone to popping rivets if used with excessive weights and getting thrown around a lot. depends what you're going to put it thru.

Sorry, I was thinking of buying the frame so I could strap the predator to in for longer, heavier hikes, and use the sack on it's own for day hikes or over nighters.

Are the Alice frames comfy when loaded?

Cheers

Mat

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
lol, not really. same deal really as your current problem, just different issues. the frame will take a lot of weight, but it sits on the lower back via 2 points of contact against a foam pad. unlike other types of external that have horizontal straps or pads stretched between the tubes of the frame. also, the frame doesn't come with a hip belt, just a floppy seatbelt type webbing strap with a quick release buckle. the next issue is the part of the frame that is in contact with your shoulders. the alice pack attaches to the frame by having the frame slip up under a built in shoulder pad that is on the rucksack, not on the frame, you then attache the shoulder straps. when the alice pack is not on the frame, the frame has no padding in the shoulder area.

there is another rucksack frame i saw, can't think where now, think it might be tamarack that is a frame with all the padding and straps. and a shelf at the bottom that can have whaterevr you like attached to it.
Sorry, I was thinking of buying the frame so I could strap the predator to in for longer, heavier hikes, and use the sack on it's own for day hikes or over nighters.

Are the Alice frames comfy when loaded?

Cheers

Mat

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Might be worth contacting Dragon supplies,they do tailoring to webbing and bergen's and it says on the site they are happy to discuss your mod idea's,they may be able to put a padded hip belt on it?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
You could always put a proper hip belt on it, either make it or buy one, then find a way of attaching it.....need to know what you're doing though..........as for an external frame, that is a very good idea but I would choose an old Karrimor aluminium frame, much more comfortable, light & robust than an alice pack frame....you can get old Karrimor external frame packs off ebay, they often come up for sale & sell at a relatively low price..........shouldn't be too difficult finding a way of attaching the predator to the frame..

Last edited:

garethw

Settler
Hi
Alice frames are not very comfortable... they are heavy & awkward
I use a medium Alice with Molle straps and Molle kidney belt, mounted on an Alice compatible plastic Molle frame, the DEI 1606ac. Its a very good frame, don't know if it will be possible to adapt it to this pack. The Molle straps fit it fine and can be found on the net easily.

1606-AC-B-1.jpg

cheers
Gareth

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Seems to me a lot of trouble to go to to get a 35 quid 'bargain' to work properly.. When you can pick up some really good packs on eBay that will fit you correctly and have a proper hip belt...

I'd do a quick experiment fill the pack up with stuff and bolt on the side pouches and fill them up as well so the pack is at maximum volume you could use pillows sleeping bags etc...

Put the pack on and work out where the hip belt will actually sit on you..

If its around your stomach then the back length of the pack is too short for you a waist belt around the stomach is not going to transfer one iota of weight effectively..

If the imaginary waist belt looks like it would sit on your hips then it might be worth getting a waist belt added there are quite a few places to go and get that done...

My thoughts are that the predator is quite short in the back as its designed for use with webbing and body armour this is true of a lot of the military daysacks not such a problem for a 35 l pack but if you start to strap 20l of side pockets onto it the weight and volume the pack ends up outstretch's it's back system...

Have fun...

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Thanks everyone, for all your thoughts and advice, given me a lot to think about (I get way too obsessed about getting kit "perfect"! Lol)

I think I have a plan, short term I'll probably get a two inch belt and possibly a hippo pad, shouldn't be too difficult to work out a way using the d rings on the pack to attach pack to belt. Being a bit of a shorty, the pack does come past my hips enough for that to work. I'll probably give dragon Supplies a bell to get a quote for doing a proper job. Although as mentioned above with no real internal frame there's only so much weight you can add even with a hip belt. Though a walked a mile home from work yesterday with the pack weighing just short of 25kg and it was surprisingly comfy.

I think I'll keep my eyes open and see if fate throws an external frame my way, I've not found any of the karrimor ones, but the molle ones look just what I'm after, would just like to see one in the flesh first. But think they would work very well for the flexibility I'm after. Does anyone know of a shop that sells them over here, as they all seem to be in the US?

Thanks again

Mat

garethw

Settler
I think I'll keep my eyes open and see if fate throws an external frame my way, I've not found any of the karrimor ones, but the molle ones look just what I'm after, would just like to see one in the flesh first. But think they would work very well for the flexibility I'm after. Does anyone know of a shop that sells them over here, as they all seem to be in the US?

Hi Mat,
Unfortunately even in the US I believe you need to buy direct from the manufactuer Down East Industries. They are though very robust, designed for parachute troops. This version of the frame is still pretty cheap at about £22, But the shipping is pretty dear.

If you check out Ebay you'll find other Molle ll frames very cheaply. (You'd need the Gen lV frames as they are tougher). Don't know if these could be adapted to fit to your pack? http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=molle+frame

cheers
Gareth

Ffin72

Jul 21, 2011
Stoke on Trent
The waist belt can be concealed, are you sure there isn't one fitted? I've just looked at the Karrimor catalogue, and that shows the Predator in MTP with a waist belt.

Ffin72

Jul 21, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Just looked further through the catalogue, it would seem you don't have a Predator, you have a version called the Field Pack. The Predator has "Karrimor SF" embroidered on the lid front, and "Predator PATROL" beneath the front PALS webbing. The Field Pack has a velcro patch on the lid front, and no waist belt.

Why not sell it to an airsofter for enough to buy a Predator?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE