Pre Moot Leatherwork Course.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
It's not listed on the course list on the Bushmoot web page yet, but just letting anyone interested know that there WILL be a leatherwork course as normal this year.
I only mention it here as I've had messages and emails asking me.

Also as usual, bookings and finances through Shelly please.

Eric

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I have noticed it's up Eric, but I think it's got the wrong dates as it's occuring over the moot. Unless I've just dropped a large wodge of cash for the wrong days :)

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I have noticed it's up Eric, but I think it's got the wrong dates as it's occuring over the moot. Unless I've just dropped a large wodge of cash for the wrong days :)

It's not on the courses page yet. What you saw was probably the workshops page. Those are short one day, or half day workshops during the moot proper that members provide for other members. The course you signed up for is on the days before the moot starts. (Tues, Wed and Thurs). The core days start on the Friday. I always take the friday off after three days of intensive tuition and will possibly do a workshop on the Sat or Sunday.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I hope it is, I dropped £120 for it :) theyve updated the dates to be weds Thurs and Friday I think which means I won't need extra leave. It won't be a problem if it moves back further eithee

Biker

Anything I need to bring Eric?

Black and Decker workmate. A 56lb anvil. High torque pillar drill. Generator for pillar drill. 4 gallons of high octane guzzoline for genny. Duct tape and plasters, lots of plasters.

The thing I wished I had when I did the course was a sewing pony. If you've got one or can rig up a rough and ready one then you'll find the saddle sewing part of the work a LOT easier. I ended up using spring clamps to hold the work while I sewed, did the job OK but frustrating nonetheless.

Hope this helps buddy. See ya in just a few days. Hope it's drier in the UK. We've got rain over here right now. :(

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Black and Decker workmate. A 56lb anvil. High torque pillar drill. Generator for pillar drill. 4 gallons of high octane guzzoline for genny. Duct tape and plasters, lots of plasters.

The thing I wished I had when I did the course was a sewing pony. If you've got one or can rig up a rough and ready one then you'll find the saddle sewing part of the work a LOT easier. I ended up using spring clamps to hold the work while I sewed, did the job OK but frustrating nonetheless.

Hope this helps buddy. See ya in just a few days. Hope it's drier in the UK. We've got rain over here right now. :(

Cheers - very much appreciated I'll look into making one.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
What do you think Mr Biker?

3uteja9e.jpg

Wood was £3.40, used a bit of plywood scrap for the base and couple of bolts etc.

3e2e5u6u.jpg

Last edited:

Biker

Superb job Tim. :You_Rock_ Really impressive that. When I said rough and ready I didn't mean such a well finished piece of work.:35:

Just make sure that plywood's well smoothed off. You'll have that tucked under your legs when you're sewing, and if it gets hot (as I hope it will) you might be wearing shorts. it'll show who your true friends are if you need to get a splinter dug out. :nono:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Superb job Tim. :You_Rock_ Really impressive that. When I said rough and ready I didn't mean such a well finished piece of work.:35:

Just make sure that plywood's well smoothed off. You'll have that tucked under your legs when you're sewing, and if it gets hot (as I hope it will) you might be wearing shorts. it'll show who your true friends are if you need to get a splinter dug out. :nono:

The rumour goes that JF will suck splinters out for a beer! :evilangel:

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Made a few more to take with me to stick on the table. I was going to use the wood to finish another project but it's the wrong size so knocked a couple more out. You never know Erics leatherwork shop might be inundated!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE