Powermonkey eXplorer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I do like my gadgets when I go out but power can be an issue. This might be solved now, just got a Powermonkey eXplorer clicky for my birthday :eek:

Its a portable battery pack to charge items when away from the grid. It can be charged either by solar or main power, so you charge it up before you go and then top it up via the sun.

Very impressed so far, good set of adaptors for charging many different things.

Haven't used it in anger yet but will write up something about it when I do.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
I hope you have better luck than I did with mine.
I got one to take to Middlewood to power my moby, bloody waste of time.
If I hadn't taken a netbook which I was able to use to charge my 'phone I'd have been badgered.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
If I hadn't taken a netbook which I was able to use to charge my 'phone I'd have been badgered.

hmmmm I've been dabbling with the idea of something like this for a while now, but was unsure how it would perform in the lovely welsh weather ..... not so good you say?

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND

not much luck with mine either lurch did u get a refund?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I've got one, but to be honest rarely use it. My wife, on the other hand, loves hers to bits and swears by it. Basically charge it up on mains (or car socket?), and use solar cells to top up - or recharge if really low (albeit slowly in this country!)

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
lads, i have something called a proporta turbo charger, and it's fantastic, i get 4 and a bit full charges on my iPhone, i would not go any where with out it, it charges the phone very quick as well, say from flat to full in about 15 2 20 Min's, it does not have solar power, but to be honest, we don't get that much sun, do we, lol, out of all the portable phone chargers that i have bought, and i have bought a few, let me tell ya, this is the one, it has loads of adapters for various things, ie, camera, psp, etc.
any way, if your looking for some thing like this, and especially if you have an iPhone, i would hand on heart recommend this one, showed it to the lads, they all have one now.
hope this helps
lee.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
here's another option I have LINK it's been great for recharging my phone and ipod. the most I have used it for is 5 full phone (Nokia 5800) charges and the Pebble was still showing half full.

livefast999

Aug 12, 2008
uk
Ok this is my solution to the problem and it works very well. Get yourself a 12v Rechargable battery and charger from maplin/e bay etc, connect a car cigar lighter socket to it. Then you can plug in your phone car charger, or anything else that has a cigar style plug into it, spot light, electric tyre pump etc. This would be a suitable set up if you are planning on camping for several days etc.

IMAG0091.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I use a power inverter in my van for charging my camera batteries and laptop when I'm out on tours.

38-3942.jpg

I recently got one of these for topping up my phone and walkman when I'm really off grid though. It has it's own battery that either the cell or a usb device charges and then the battery charges your gismo.

Only £20 and seems to work for me. :dunno:

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I use a similar device, mine is a globetrotter freeloader - battery pack 2 clip on solar panels plus adaptors also I have a solar panel which fits on my Maxpediation Falcon.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
I have used a power monkey explorer for about a year now, and it gets used at least once per week. If anyone is looking to get a recharging system, then it is worth considering if you want to carry it with you, or whether it will be in the car. Also, remember what devices you wish to charge (I know that sounds obvious lol).
If you are keeping your charger in the car, then a spare/leisure battery will have the most power on tap, and will be able to run laptops (via inverter), charge phones, PDA's small consoles, and run lighting or DVD players etc.

Provided you are with the vehicle, then an inverter will do similar.

Back to power monkey's. If you have an Iphone, then something like a power monkey is ideal, as other well known chargers will often not have the power to charge an Iphone (especially the 3Gs onwards!), and can only manage ordinary mobiles (which is why some of their ads only mention Ipods, rather than Iphones).

To use my power monkey, I would completely charge it before the journey (car charger, PC, mains UK or mains worldwide), and then once out in the field, I will often even leave the solar monkey on the top of my tent during the day to keep charging the power monkey, or I will attach them to the top of my rucksack as I am walking along. During an average summer day (as in daylight time, and not just sun) I can charge my Iphone (or three mobiles, as the power monkey comes with adaptoer for most companies, as well as for small consoles etc)) in the morning, and then during the day, charge my sisters' and her boyfriend's mobiles. After that the solar monkey is often used to run a small games console for an hour or two, and then in the evening it goes back on the tent to fully recharge the power monkey again (so we can watch a film etc on the Iphone during the night). It will continue to charge until around twenty minutes after the sun has gone below the skyline, which shows that it does not need direct sunlight.

When not in use, the power monkey will hold its charge well for over three months, and will still completely charge one Iphone or about three ordinary mobiles.

There is another device I use called the solar nut, which has a tiny reserve battery, that allows the power monkey to continue to charge for short periods, even in complete darkness. This can be useful for cycling (with random tunnels) or for very overcast days. The solar nut is not as useful as the power monkey/solar combo IMHO

So, for Iphones, I think the power monkey is one of the best chargers on the market, if you want a durable, small, light and easy to use system. For ordinary mobiles, the choice widens, but it would be worth noting that as the power monkey could easily charge 7-8 mobiles per day, it can be a good group buy.

As with all of my 'essential' electricals, I bought the power monkey in yellow, and then added yellow reflective tape (for easy finding if dropped in the dark).

Just my experience of a years use :)

Edited to add: If you are on a longer trip (or have a charger that only charges from USB, and forgot to charge it lol), and want to re charge your charger in some friendly persons home, get yourself a USB/mains adapter plug, as it would be 'pushing it' to ask anyone if you can connect a USB plug to their PC (and frankly, stupid of them to let you, in these days of identity theft). I have never needed to use this system while out backpacking (as solar has always solved the problem, even for a weeks travel), but have used mains charging while on business trips.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE