Post your Wide Angle shots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Just wondering but whats a wide angle lens for, i have heard of folk using them to do trophie shots of them with big pike they have caught, what diffrence would a wide angle lens make to a shot like that?? would it make a fish look bigger ???

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wide angles are for shots like this.

Blea-Tarn-Ice.jpg

Because they have a wide angle of view they tend to make things near the camera look bigger and the background look smaller.

(That is a gross over simplification but it'll do for now.)
bricks.gif

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Wide angles are for shots like this.

Blea-Tarn-Ice.jpg

Because they have a wide angle of view they tend to make things near the camera look bigger and the background look smaller.

(That is a gross over simplification but it'll do for now.)
bricks.gif

That's another lovely shot there wayland, now stop making me want to buy another camera.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Just wondering but whats a wide angle lens for, i have heard of folk using them to do trophie shots of them with big pike they have caught, what diffrence would a wide angle lens make to a shot like that?? would it make a fish look bigger ???

Just realised your a 'Bairn' Falkirk dweller

Have a look at the Kite camera shots of the Falkirk Wheel.
http://scotthaefner.com/photos/place/Falkirk%20Wheel

If you stood at the top of the wheel, near the upper tunnel, then took a photo with a fisheye/wide angle lens back the way it would be an amazing shot. In fact might take one tomorrow with my camera but join three together.

Nick

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
The fake mini photos are fun...

This is one of mine taken just outside Auckland.

2486587236_941e76866f.jpg

As for wide angle... This one was:

Exposure: 0.003 sec (39/12500)
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 24 mm
ISO Speed: 200

2600832477_8897c47b62.jpg

And this one was:

Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 14 mm
ISO Speed: 200

2600831953_ed8d22fc51.jpg

The last 2 obviously have a liberal helping of HDR.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Wow, coolshots. We did some fake mini ones at school, the kids took local urban photos, then edited them in form class, an apropriate use of mobiles in school.

I did have a mag with amazing photos of tiny human figures eg workman on food. Something like MINIAM I'm annoyed I can't find the site again.

Nick

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It's down to the format you're working on.

Traditionally 50mm is considered the "standard" for 35mm, although technically speaking it should be closer to 40mm. (43.26 to be exact.)

A "wide angle" lens is a lens with a smaller focal length than this and lenses with longer focal lengths are often (incorrectly) called telephoto lenses.

With most digital SLRs there is a magnification factor due to the sensors being smaller than 35mm full frame so, for example, if your camera has a mag. factor of 1.6 a 31.25mm lens would give you the same angle of view as a 50mm on full frame so that would be your "standard" position.

Wide angle is something i would like to try
i have a Nikon D90 which is a DX frame ie 1.5 mag factor currently the std 18- 105 lens ( i would have prefered the 18-200 VR but its to big as a starter lense to fit in any underwater housing we get which is a major reason for getting the camera)

I want to do a wide as possible beach, wave, sunset shot to blow up to put on a wall in a wide 1: 4 or wider ratio ie a letterbox

i would like to try it at Chesil beach and have the stony beach in close forground ( i like the look of Wide angle close ups like waylands here)

any reccomendations on a Wide angle lens i have looked but they are all in the £400 and up range :eek: which i dont mind if i get the right lens and like using it

i dont think stitching would work as the waves are constantly moving

the Tokina 11-16 is one i have frond recommended on websites

any body know if you can hire or try lenses in hte Dorset area ???

ATB

Duncan

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wide angle is something i would like to try
i have a Nikon D90 which is a DX frame ie 1.5 mag factor currently the std 18- 105 lens ( i would have prefered the 18-200 VR but its to big as a starter lense to fit in any underwater housing we get which is a major reason for getting the camera)

I want to do a wide as possible beach, wave, sunset shot to blow up to put on a wall in a wide 1: 4 or wider ratio ie a letterbox

i would like to try it at Chesil beach and have the stony beach in close forground ( i like the look of Wide angle close ups like waylands here)

any reccomendations on a Wide angle lens i have looked but they are all in the £400 and up range :eek: which i dont mind if i get the right lens and like using it

i dont think stitching would work as the waves are constantly moving

the Tokina 11-16 is one i have frond recommended on websites

any body know if you can hire or try lenses in hte Dorset area ???

ATB

Duncan

My shot was taken on a 17mm with a 35mm full frame sensor.

To get the equivalent on a 1.5 crop sensor would need an 11 or 12mm focal length so the tokina or the Sigma 12 - 24 would do the job.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire

Hi Johnny,

Also, due to the nature of a wide angle lens’s optics, they exhibit a much greater depth of field than a longer lens which can be a huge advantage in certain situations.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Here you go Duncan: http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/

I stumbled across them the other day - the reviews I read seemed very favourable.

Hiring would seem a good option, especially if you want to try before you buy, or just want a particular lens to try for a particular shot. Would be useful for a holiday or trip too.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire

I stumbled across them the other day - the reviews I read seemed very favourable.

Hiring would seem a good option, especially if you want to try before you buy, or just want a particular lens to try for a particular shot. Would be useful for a holiday or trip too.

Most pro dealers hire kit, if you get to know them, they will often hire kit for next to nothing on a Friday night - better than no income from hire stock over the weekend.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Pretty complicated, but i guess from what you are saying it owuld make a fish look bigger if it were closer to the camera, the lengths some folk go to with the fishing is carzy i guess, but some of these land/city scapes are great. Thosed kite photos are brilliant, the wheel is one of the most photgraphed things about but these photos add a whole new take on it.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I actually hired a Nikon 105mm Macro lens from them for a weekend... absolutely top service... it was a 3 day rental, they had it to me by Thursday so I got the full 3 days... I posted it back monday.

Highly recommended.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE