possible lymes disease.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
4 days ago my nipper Ben complained of a pain in his arm pit,as he had been doing the monkey bars the day before we assumed he had pulled a muscle,yesterday he was in tears with the pain so we took him to the docs,sadly it was the most useless doc in the practice so he said it was just an abscess and gave Ben a course of antibiotics,being inquisitive i spoke to a senior health worker i know and she expressed surprise that the doc had taken that course of action as apparently it is well known that this particular type of abscess dosnt normally respond to this treatment and usually it is lanced drained,flushed and packed,she also said given Ben's spleen trauma earlier in the year it was not uncommon to get this malody,so Mrs fish took Ben off to hospital A&E yesterday evening,the Doc at once said it wasn't an abscess and clearly not so and was confused the GP had made such a mistake,he diagnosed Ben's problem as an unknown infection of the lymph gland and took bloods to look for white blood cell count and an array of possibilities,Mrs fish mentioned the boys spend a hell of a lot of time in the fields and woods as she thought it might be poignant.Ben was sent home with the correct dose of antibiotics as the GP had given him the dose for an infant! and told to return for an ultrasound in the morning.
So today on the way to the hospital i asked Mrs fish if she had mentioned the possibility of lymes disease,she had not and surprisingly the hospital doc hadnt asked either given he was told about our outdoor life,so today the doc was informed of the possibility of contact with ticks and straight away he said that made sense and that he would begin treatment for it straight away and Ben is to return to the hospital next Friday to see how he is responding and what the labs have come up with.
So lesson to be learned folks,at no time did Ben realise he had a tick nor did we and there was no tick to be seen,be careful out there folks and follow your instincts not what the cheap and inexperienced doctor says!

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
glad the little fella is alright justin and it was sorted out eventually regards to you and yours hope to see you soon dave

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Did your lad display typical symptoms of Lymes disease? Has a diagnosis been carried out and Lyme confirmed?

I hope the lad heals quickly whatever the cause of his illness.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Did your lad display typical symptoms of Lymes disease? Has a diagnosis been carried out and Lyme confirmed?

I hope the lad heals quickly whatever the cause of his illness.

had the rash and a cold like thing,thought it was prickly heat and hayfever!

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
So sorry to hear about this, I hope Ben gets well soon and is out and about as normal, we know a girl who contracted lymes from a tick behind her ear that no one spotted straight away and she is well and good today 4 years later ...

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
you are right to follow your instincts. As a parent you have your childs full medical history stored in your head. You know about what happened four years ago, you know where the child and dog were playing and dog came back with a tick in his ear.

I know where you are coming from with the first post, my daughter has in the last four years been half diagnosed with aneamia, asthma, pnumonia, and anxiety/depression. She may of had the lung infection, but the rest were wrong, the doctor last week found she has a heart murmur, which needs more tests. I could barely contain my rage at the anxiety diagnosis especially as he wanted to perscribe meds off label to a 15 year old. As a parent I know the tired pale falling over teenager came from a baby that wouldnt sleep, and was forever on the go.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Hope he mends quick Fish.
Swmbo an me got 'ticked both feeling off sorts. Rang the docs, couldn't get an appointment.....straight after mentioning tick bites, she gave us a course of Doxycycline and said, if there's no change in how we feel or if we seem worse .....to get straight back intouch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Totally agree with not knowing about having a tick. A number of years ago I took the dog (only had one back then) for a long walk through some long grass. That evening I got into a bath and felt something on my inner thigh-a tic wriggling around because it didn't like being submerged! So out came the tic hook followed by me being rather cruel for ten minutes.

This reminds me of a thread on ticks awhile ago on this forum maybe someone with better searching skills than me will find it...

Hope he's ok, ad said before dfinatley not fun.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I hope your youngster gets clear without any complications. It is an unnerving thing to have happen.

25 years ago I lived in New York state, which was rampant with Lyme. I got a tick behind my knee in from the local park, very sore for a day and a big red bull's eye rash around it. Fortunately, the action of my knee bending had done in the tick, and it was still embedded, dead. Mum found it, rang the doctor, described the rash and received instructions to immediately take me to the nearest pharmacy. The prescription was faxed through and was waiting when we got there. The doc said not to wait to get me home, but to get penicillin into me there and then! Can you imagine that happening in the UK?

hobson

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2012
Devon
Horrible little beasties ticks, we have loads around here, we're checking the dogs every day and pulling off at least on every other day, sometimes two or three in a day if they've been in the long grass.
They've been frontlined but it doesn't stop them latching on.

How's your lad now?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Mr & Mrs Fish,
As someone who's had his life turned around by lymes in a bad way can I just say good on you for pushing this and making it public. It can be treated so easily if diagnosed early. Simple course of antibiotics.
The last seven years of my time have been badly affected as I didn't pay attention to symptoms and doctors generally know nowt about it. It's retrospectively cost the NHS thousands when a couple of quids worth of pills would have fixed it.
Hope the wee man gets better soon - and I think with folks like yourselves as parents he and his kith and kin will be belters.
ATB,
Colin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE