Possession of an Offensive Weapon.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nickelarse

I will certainly take note Salad, we have permission to shoot on a few farms that surround the village so the safest bet will be to contact a few of the landowners and see if they will permit us to respectfully camp on their land.

I will make a few phone calls.

Last edited by a moderator:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
The Carrying of a large knife made it subject to police action

Criminal Law Act 1977
Trespassing with a weapon of offence.
(1)A person who is on any premises as a trespasser,

Please don't scare people! Premises does NOT include land. Trespass is a civil matter, not a criminal one unless aggravated.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I will certainly take note Salad, we have permission to shoot on a few farms that surround the village so the safest bet will be to contact a few of the landowners and see if they will permit us to respectfully camp on their land.

I will make a few phone calls.

You will be one of the lucky ones if you can get permission, its not so easy for everyone :) goodluck to you

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Prawnster is right except I see 6 as being too big. I mostly go out in twos or threes but that's splitting hairs. The main thing is you don't get spotted. Not sure how easy it is in more inhabited areas like edges of villages, by the river, etc. I mean prime dog walking territory river paths I'd have thought. Bound to get someone noticing you. I only camp above the intake wall in remoter areas but then I do live near the Lakes so easier to do that for me. If I make a fire it is in a honey stove or similar using dead wood (dead hanging for example). I leave no trace too. Mind you I am not a fan of fires unless on sites that allow it or on permission land or on river banks where the residue would get washed away IF I had to.

I like your edit too. Like I'm sure you know there are few English and Welsh National Parks that allow wild camping as completely legal. Also National Trust don't officially allow wild camping on their land. They don't complain about it neither in certain places which is not the same as permission (more like tacit acceptance of it).

BTW IIRC the Backpackers Club has a list for members of farms and landowners that allow camping on their land for the members of that body (and presumably other wanderers if they respect it). This is obviously an informal thing and is not the same as a campsite. Often access to drinking water is present if near the farm. Just thought I'd mention it as it might interest some on here.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
you're mate shouldn't have accepted the caution, given the choice between missing a day at work with a perfectly good excuse or having a criminal record i know which i'd pick. most of the complaints about the police on here are along the lines of i got picked up/arrested/cautioned for such and such even though its completely within the law, hardly anyone seems to stick to their guns and defend their rights. if it is truly legal (and the law is very clear regarding bladed items) then the worst that'll happen is a day in court and a bit of compensation for lost earnings etc

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Prawnster is right except I see 6 as being too big. I mostly go out in twos or threes but that's splitting hairs. The main thing is you don't get spotted. Not sure how easy it is in more inhabited areas like edges of villages, by the river, etc. I mean prime dog walking territory river paths I'd have thought. Bound to get someone noticing you. I only camp above the intake wall in remoter areas but then I do live near the Lakes so easier to do that for me. If I make a fire it is in a honey stove or similar using dead wood (dead hanging for example). I leave no trace too. Mind you I am not a fan of fires unless on sites that allow it or on permission land or on river banks where the residue would get washed away IF I had to.

I like your edit too. Like I'm sure you know there are few English and Welsh National Parks that allow wild camping as completely legal. Also National Trust don't officially allow wild camping on their land. They don't complain about it neither in certain places which is not the same as permission (more like tacit acceptance of it).

BTW IIRC the Backpackers Club has a list for members of farms and landowners that allow camping on their land for the members of that body (and presumably other wanderers if they respect it). This is obviously an informal thing and is not the same as a campsite. Often access to drinking water is present if near the farm. Just thought I'd mention it as it might interest some on here.

Got our wires crossed somewhere there Paul. I also think that 6 is too large a number.

As for national parks etc I've always thought along these lines: This place is open to the public. I am allowed to be here. There is no cut off time in the evening when you are expected to leave. If I was to have a snooze in the woods in the afternoon, what is the difference between that and snoozing through the night?

Would I expect this thinking to stand up in court? No way. But then I don't plan on making anyone feel that they need to take me to court. The only evidence that I had been there at all would be the photos in the Out and About section here :)

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Now I'm sorry but that sort of comment really annoys the hell out of me. Sure, some aren't the brightest in the world and some can be a right pain sometimes. But on the whole they do a difficult job exceptionally well. If you'd sat in a police station in Govan one evening, going over a fraud case with the CID, then the officer gets a phone call dragging him away to an incident involving a multiple rape of a ten-year-old, you might appreciate them a bit more.

There is one nice police officer in my town, Tom, that's it, no other nice ones...

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
He he, it's great the way the OP comes on, says his things, posts a bit and then everyone else carries it on for him.

Well structured thoughtful and accurate answers are by far the best way to get the most from a thread like this, I think it's particularly good that we have police officers contributing as they have a unique perspective that we should appreciate, they see it from both sides, thank you for your contributions.

I don't think it has been answered. All I'm getting off this thread is, "Waaaahhhh wahhhhhhh knife wahhhhhh 3" waaaah nasty policemen waaaah".

Apparently you did not read or did not comprehend Tony's post so I will point out the most applicable part that applies to your response. We have rules here too. If you don't follow them, you might be doing some whining yourself.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
If you don't follow them, you might be doing some whining yourself.

That's a far too thinly veiled threat and not at all indicitive of the sort of punishment that could possibly be meted out.
Whatever the punishment may be I beg you not to make me wear a possibles pouch! I could never live it down. I'd much rather be whipped with a baby conger eel or roll around in nettles if that's the sort of thing you had in mind.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
That's a far too thinly veiled threat and not at all indicitive of the sort of punishment that could possibly be meted out.
Whatever the punishment may be I beg you not to make me wear a possibles pouch! I could never live it down. I'd much rather be whipped with a baby conger eel or roll around in nettles if that's the sort of thing you had in mind.

Could I whip you with the eel , please please, please :)

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Could I whip you with the eel , please please, please :)

There are other forums for stuff like that...or so I'm told.

Make Bushwhacker wear a possibles pouch, a bobble hat and carry a Bear Grylls knife. If you can't do the time don't do the crime.

Sent from my iToaster using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE