pop quiz Mears fans......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Question: can anyone recall a programme in which Ray Mears cooks a bannock next to the fire on a bit of wood?

Reason: ive convinced mesel' that i seen it on tele, or on dvd or summat.

thats very much!

Leodis

Jun 2, 2014
Leeds
I believe in one of the Northern Wilderness episodes some bannock is being cooked on a stick. I think the rest of the time he's using pots or pans

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
I've seen a video on youtube where he makes a small wooden base to cook the bread on. Heats the wood up first next to the fire then lays the dough on the board and props it up at an angle to bake.... I've just done a quick search for it and can't find it though, I'll have a better look on Monday unless someone pips me to it... at least your not going mad ;)

jius

Apr 12, 2015
All Over
If I remember right he also does bread on rock (possibly wood) next to fire on the Wild Food series, not the Canada expedition one as above

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
If I remember right he also does bread on rock (possibly wood) next to fire on the Wild Food series, not the Canada expedition one as above

Oops, my bad, yep that was the bushcraft series with the pan in clip
also tracks one he uses pan as well

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Thanks for this thread, it sent me off to Youtube and I found a lot of hte old Country Tracks programmes. I'd forgotten how good some of them were.

grylls in mind there are about 35 odd country tracks episodes
most of the ones on you tube are the 10 from uktv documentary channel which are edited down as well.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
I've seen a video on youtube where he makes a small wooden base to cook the bread on. Heats the wood up first next to the fire then lays the dough on the board and props it up at an angle to bake.... I've just done a quick search for it and can't find it though, I'll have a better look on Monday unless someone pips me to it... at least your not going mad ;)

yep! i think we are singing off the same song sheet here! if only i could bloody remember where exactly i saw it!

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Yep I've defo seen this too so yer not going mad. It could very well be one of the country tracks episodes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Thinking on! If you own the bushcraft series DVDs theirs some extra footage on their that didn't make it on the TV episodes yer could try that.i'm sure it's the flat bread board that he makes some willow bark string for on one of the episodes he uses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've pretty much the whe cannon of Mr Mears stored on the 'puter will have a look. Though of late it's been a Les Hiddens marathon/snickers that I've been warching. Will have atrawl though and let you kbow

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
I've pretty much the whe cannon of Mr Mears stored on the 'puter will have a look. Though of late it's been a Les Hiddens marathon/snickers that I've been warching. Will have atrawl though and let you kbow

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Linky to the les Hiddins pls!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE