Poor Service from Genuine Army Surplus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
As some of you know, i`m off on a cold climate trip shortly.

All seemed fairly simple. Got to have a look at a lot of differnet types of wool/fleece based cold climate trousers, settled on one i liked and looked around for a supplier.

Contacting the above company I was told they have them up to a 42" waist (although being a big ******, this size was for the extra layers beneath). The next day i rang to put an order in.

Simple so far....

Upon their arrival I put the one leg in....and looking down...realised not even my other knee would sqeeze in.....

calling them, they apologised and promised to get a pair of 42`s off to me that afternoon....

...after a call from SWMBO asking when they should arrrive as she needed to go out i contacted them...to be told they had tried to call to say they didnt do any 42`s after all (although SWMBO was at home all day)...

So now i have to return them, petty i know..but costing me out of my pocket for their mistakes.

So all in all a needless pain in the buttocks. Just thought i`d post to see if anyone else has had problems or if this is a one off (which it might well be)

So i`m settling on some Nanok trousers instead.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
This company is a nightmare!!!!!

Those of you who saw me at Ashdown may have noticed that my Ventile smock is becoming faded and a tad worn, so I thought I'd keep it for real outdoor use and get hold of a cheap windproof but not ventile green smock to scrap about in the woods in...not an easy task in itself!!!

I placed an order with Genuine Army surplus back in November!!!! They claim to have shipped two to me....none has arrived, then they said the couriers had lost one and were bringing the other back to them as they couldn't deliver....this was to my work address and as I run a major shipping department I know every delivery we have....they didn't even try.

They then said they'd send the jacket they got returned to me via Royal Mail....that failed too...if it ever happened...

I had to chase them every step of the way, they never return calls and unless you speak to a guy there called Chris nobody knows what you're talking about.

Finally a couple of weeks ago...that's almost three months later they admitted they didn't have the smock I wanted and I finally cancelled my order...

The above is only a summery of how useless I found them to be...

It's only my personal recommendation but I'd strongly advise all my friends only this forum to stay well away from Genuine Army Surplus...

Hope that helps...

Feb 26, 2005
Darlington
Hello,
Concerning poor service from Genuine Army Surplus we apologise to Nomad for the service he recieved which is totally unaccceptable he was told his size was in stock when clearly it wasnt we will be refunding him in full for his trouble including the postage.Concerning Bambodoggy again this kind of service is not acceptable and we have put in measures to stop this.Over the past year we have redesigned our website and mail order service and as a result we became really busy and it overpowered us we have now sorted this problem out and are now back on track.
Thanks.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
genuinesurplus said:
Hello,
Concerning poor service from Genuine Army Surplus we apologise to Nomad for the service he recieved which is totally unaccceptable he was told his size was in stock when clearly it wasnt we will be refunding him in full for his trouble including the postage.Concerning Bambodoggy again this kind of service is not acceptable and we have put in measures to stop this.Over the past year we have redesigned our website and mail order service and as a result we became really busy and it overpowered us we have now sorted this problem out and are now back on track.
Thanks.

Fair play to you guys for showing up and apologizing.... it's much appreciated.

It's a shame it went so badly wrong as I was fully intending to post up a link to you guys regarding the smock as I know a lot of the guys on here like them..they are very functional but not too overtly "rambo"....

Again, your sorry is much appreciated :biggthump

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Genuine Service, unfortunately the best advertising in the world is word of mouth and your apology will do little to change minds, the damage has already been done.

But I would like to hear from any long time members of the forum that has received a good service from this company before I totally condemn them.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Adi Fiddler said:
Genuine Service, unfortunately the best advertising in the world is word of mouth and your apology will do little to change minds, the damage has already been done.

But I would like to hear from any long time members of the forum that has received a good service from this company before I totally condemn them.

I cannot really comment on their mail order service as I haven't used it. I certainly share the frustration of anyone who has experienced difficulty with any internet retailer. What I can say is that Genuine Army Surplus shop in Darlington (Where the company is based) is great. What I would call an 'old fashioned' Army Surplus shop with racks and shelves loaded full of goodies in olive drab and DPM. The staff seem friendly and knowledgable and they dont seem to mind me poking around in some of the darker corners of the shop looking for that elusive bargain :roll:

Please note - no connection with either the shop or the internet retailer.

Cheers,
Simon

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Personally, whilst I would rather have no problems when I buy stuff off the net, it is refreshing to hear an open and honest apology from a company when things screw up. Fair play to them. I think I might give them a try, just for their honesty.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
beachlover said:
it is refreshing to hear an open and honest apology from a company when things screw up. Fair play to them. I think I might give them a try, just for their honesty.

I agree beechlover and my hat off to you G.A.S for getting on and making such a public apology, most companies bury their heads in teh sand and if they do emerge they come out fighting and that just doesn't go down well, no matter who's in the right or wrong. You're an example to other of how to try setting things straight :biggthump

You've got nothing that fit's me (58") chest so I doubt that I'll ever order from you, but you could do with the benefit of the doubt.

I'd like to hear from people that have ordered from G.A.S and I'd like to hear from people that order from now on. Just post in this thread.

Once again, thanks for having some bottle and thanks to those that have raised the issue, as an issue it is :biggthump

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Tony said:
I'd like to hear from people that have ordered from G.A.S and I'd like to hear from people that order from now on. Just post in this thread.

Bizarre thread crossover - they appear to have the 70L versh of those Swedish Army frame rucksacks on their special offers page - Weren't some forum members after getting them?

I...don't...need....another....rucksack....mussst...resisssst :shock:

Off out for a walk now, just came on to pay TomTom.

Jim.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Just an update.....

I`ve had a couple of very very apologetic phone calls from G.A.S. Steve couldnt apologise enough and offered various ways of making up for it, unfortuanlty I`ve resolved the problem already (Nanok trousers).

I hope its served to promt him to kick some people`s bottom into gear on certain fronts and get their mail order service running at top notch.

Not against the idea of giving them a try again in the future should something catch my eye.

OutBackP

Jul 5, 2006
Bridport, Dorset
Tony said:

I don't really like to publicly company bash, but in the interest of the forum, I feel I really must let you all know of my experiance with Genuine Army Surplus. They have some good products and good prices (IPK's 2.50)
I placed an order on the 29 June and have finally got all my order. After a week I enquired where my order was. The reply came back that It would be with me on the 10th July. A few day's after the 10th and still no order. So I called the shop and they told me they didn't have part of my order in stock. But it would be there the next day, and I would have it the day after. Still no luck. So another email. The reply this time was it's been sent but the bag split. Well finally it arrived. I'd ordered some side pocket and yoke. to make a day pack. But hadn't checked that it had the utility straps until a couple weeks later. So another email and another failed delivery date. After sending another email asking where they are, they've finally arrived today. Not matching though, one used and one new, so different colour. But I don't care it's been enough just to get the full order.

I don't mind mistakes happening when I order off the net. But it would be nice if they could tell you the truth. Unfortunatly I can't see that I'll be ordering off G.A.S. in the future. Theres enough competition some with free postage. It's just a shame 'cause the IPK's are dirt cheap.

Any way thats my bitch of the day. Think I may go off and shoot some rabbit's for dinner and get rid of that anger.....

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I had a bout of this with strike-force supplies, turned out it was the courier service and not them at all. Still strike-force paid up the post and go it to me the next day. So I can reccomend them for dealing honestly and quickly with a problem that was not their mistake.

Good chaps! and they sell cheap hexy.

Sandsnakes

M

Millbilly

Tried buying a daysack from them about six months ago. Paid in full, and never recieved my daysack. They ignored my calls, and never returned my emails. Useless bunch of ****es.

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
Not to negate the shoddy service some of you have received via their mail-order service I can say that visiting the shop is much better and I've dug out some real finds, including a super-size pilots bag for onlyy £9.

I appreciate this is little consolation for those not within driving distance...

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Adi Fiddler said:

I wouldn't consider myself a long time member but I've ordered from GAS 3 times in 18 months and had no problems. It has been pretty standard/popular kit, which may or may not make a difference.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I ordered a Swedish 35L rucksack early this year and received it straightaway and Swedish army messkit sometime last year also delivered straightaway. Both times I ordered by phone and, having read the negative reports, took the time to ask whether the items were in stock and whether they could post immediately as I needed them for an imminent trip.... :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE