Poncho shelters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
For me it is that unlike a tent you can wear it as well as sleep under it and I'm a lot happier cooking under it than in a diddy little tent. I must admit I do like being able to see all around me, especially in winter when you don't need a net.

Each to their own!

:-{D)

Tom

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yup it's the view for me, and the breeze across my face, set it right for the conditions and it's the best nights sleep i have, I always feel slightly claustraphobic in tents now.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I go outdoors to be outdoors.

Tents seem to go against that idea for me.

Even when I'm using my big re-enactment tent, i often sleep with the door flaps wide open.

The poncho thing is about sharing the weight and bulk of two items, a weatherproof and a shelter which are rarely used at the same time.

seems a sensible compromise to me.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
I have one of the newer GoLite Poncho. The fabric is of course very thin and feels fragile. More so than 1.1 silnylon. By comparison, my tarp that is 3m by 2.5m weights 370 grams and is significantly stronger.
Also the seams at the loops used for attachment points need reinforcement.

Overall I would not use it as primary rain layer AND primary shelter. It would be too easy to make a rip in it while walking with the poncho. I consider it a backup to my tarp and as an option to close/enlarge my tarp.

An alternative set up would be to use a stronger poncho for normal use and use the golite to extend it in tarp mode. But that would not be really lighter than my current tarp + the golite.

LennyMac

Jun 10, 2010
Kenley, Surrey
Right, here are a couple of photos of my poncho set- ups. The first two are my standard 'triangular tube'. The second two are the result of the end- of- day desperation of having no suitable place to pitch up while passing through Croyde in North Devon. I just decided to use the rock formation right on the beach- the waterline was about 25 ft away.

LennyMac1

LennyMac1

LennyMac1

LennyMac1

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Before I got my Issue basha I'd use a Dutch issue ponch with bungees. Tie up the hood to stop leaks, bungee to nearby trees about 2 feet off the ground and the run a cord to a branch above to create a mini teepee. If sleeping alone you can lay on the diaganol for a little extra cover but bivi bag stops all that anyway. I tried the same with paracord but the poncho gave in and ripped the eyelets out. I use a basha now but still carry a poncho used as downpour protection(instead of wet gear goretex etc) or a ground sheet if needed.
Also on exercise while in an arbour area we would try guestimate the wind direction and bungee the front end opposite 2 foot off ground to trees and the other end 1 foot, again with hood tied up but no cord above and cover the poncho with as much loose foliage as we could get in a bin bag. we had 2 under there without bivibags and old down sleeping bags, slept well not because of comfort but from near exhaustion after a 'Negligent Discharge' had us running about like lunatics most of the evening!

Next time I take a wander down the woods i'll take a picture of that setup but it's pretty straight forward.

Last edited:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
If it wasn't almost certain that it will rain around here then I probably would use a poncho but I much prefer wearing jacket and trouser waterproofs when it's raining and I like the flexibility of being able to get up in the middle of the night when it's raining without having to take my shelter down!

My latest thinking is to use a poncho both as a groundsheet and rainwear (obviously). This would potentially take the place of a waterproof jacket, waterproof trousers, rucksack cover and my current lightweight groundsheet and give me a decent weight saving. Having no experience with a poncho I'm a bit nervous about ditching my current wet weather gear in favour of a poncho (supplemented with gaiters below the knees is my thinking) and whether it it going to be very good in colder weather and how windproof it would be. Are they still up to the job? I'd also be walking a fair bit in wet weather so are they easy to move in? I'm looking at the Mil-Com ones if anyone has any experience with them.

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
The old, issue poncho (with head fitting) was, in my experience put to one side as soon as guys passed through training as senior soldiers informed the new guys that olive Aussie poncho (tarp) would be a good investment. This knowledge was picked from lessons learned in Belize and Brunei and put into use worldwide. The poncho were nearly always used with bungees instead of cord (except in by some units in jungle areas) because it was felt that they would make erecting the shelter in the dark easier after 'stand to' and vice verse for the take down. These shelters were often used over a 1' deep (approx) furrow in the ground which was constructed to provide troops protection from direct and in-direct ordnance.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If I tour on my sportier motorcycle I sometimes use just a polythene sheet, pegged to the ground and tied to the bike with bits of string, a bit like Wayland's setup with a poncho and a wall. Total weight less than 100 grammes. Excluding the bike. :)

jonquirk

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
I was walking the Ridgeway on Friday in pouring rain and was looking for a spot to wild camp. I came to a viewpoint in woods with a 2m wide wooden bench. I secured the long side of my tarp (Alpkit Rig 7) to the legs at the back of the bench and tied the other side to trees to the side and in front of the bench as high as I could reach. I had sloping roof to shelter under and protection from rain driving onto the bench from behind. With my goundsheet on the bench I blew up my Neo Air and sat down to cook with my Bushbuddy on the ground at my feet. After dinner I retired into my bivvy bag. Quite possibly one of my best wild camps and no way possible with a tent!

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi some more photos/examples/types if you want ideas:

I like this design, 2 sides of shelter and a ground sheet "MoD shelter sheet"(Basha)
79b2ece9.jpg

This is a good design if you need all-round vision, but has little protection from the sides, so not good in wind. (each corner is supported by a stick) quite difficult to make quickly.
DSCF3617.jpg

a cosy nook! the MoD basha, in a triangle shape is almost total protection(tree is one wall) and room to lie down.
Triangleshelter.jpg

a single hoop basha design, (on this thread I startedhttp://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56960&highlight=) can be made with natrual materials and requires no cordage! it's total protection from wind/rain, but it will be sweaty!
bashahooptentidea2.jpg

comparative sizes (note the trees as a measurement) MoD basha:
0f2e84f9.jpg

British Army 58" poncho:
DSCF3619.jpg

German Army poncho:
2c35e903.jpg

MoD Basha, 2 mini poles, enough space for...3-4?
efdd523b.png

MoD Basha, 2 micro poles "tent" design:
87de5c9d.png

MoD Basha/US army poncho comparison:
2d87445a.png

...And of course you can use them to be Blatant! ;)
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50147&highlight=blatant
a6dda630.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE