Poncho quilted liners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Hi all

I have just purchased one of these liners, very nice bit of kit, folds small, can be used as a blanket in the poncho or in a hammock.

Only drawback, there is no hole for your head , so you cant wear it in the poncho as a warmer, waterproof bit of clothing.:confused:

Has anyone else got one of these quilts and has anyone yet cut a hole for your head to fit so you can use it while you walk????

BT

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got a black US one from a mate for free but it`s been sat in the loft since I got it. I`m going to use it as part of my underblanket when I get round to it.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I got a fleece poncho whilst I was in Germany. It doesn't have a hood but has a raised collar at least, which zips up and also has draw strings at the top. It's a good bit of kit and fits nicely under a german army poncho. I've yet to use the two together though, but once the zip is done up and the draw strings pulled tight, it can be used like a normal blanket but not too near the fire!

I once tried it out in the house, just after I had bought it in fact and didn't do the neck hole up tight. It was level with my butt, and one of my girls pointed and asked if that was where my farts could get out! :D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I have a US poncho liner... I think it is designed as a blanket to go under the poncho for sleeping under, rather than a liner that you wear as a coat. It is a good bit of kit though, surprisingly warm...

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I bought SWMBO a German flecktarn one last summer (who says romance is dead? :) ) as she feels the cold when we are camping.

She uses it as a blanket, old lady style over her legs when sat around the fire & over the sleeping bag at night. She swears by it.

Sadly for her, we have just decorated our Son's bedroom "Army Style" with cam nets, DPM quilt cover and such (he's 8!) and the poncho liner is now used as a throw over the top (spare) bunk.

I did use it once as a makeshift underblanket for the hammock but found it was not really up to the job, but might try it as a hammock blanket in Summer when I don't need a full sleeping bag.

Over all it is a very versatile bit of kit and am well pleased with it!

HTH

Simon

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Well, I have just spent about an hr ( dont laugh ) in the garden with the quilt fitted as per to my poncho and then snap fastened the poncho as a sleeping bag. Not bad but i think i would wake hypothermic if at all, if i slept out all night like that....

I think it would be better used with my hammock, still, nice price and good kit.

Thanks for your comments..

BT

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
My cheap poncho liner was converted with a homemade head hole. A 37cm slit was drawn on the fabric, then sewn around once and lined with some leftover nylon. Easily done by anyone who can sew and worth the money spent .
It quadruples the value of the liner, since this garment keeps me comfortably warm down to the knees with less weight than a fleece jacket (with whom you still get cold legs)
101107001.jpg

DSC06003.jpg

I have since then added the EXPED Poncho liner to my equipment. Its much more expensive but with a weight of only 550 gramm its added almost always to any pack.
www.exped.com
The one shown is still constantly in use, especially when going out and making a fire, since, as you know, evrything will stink to heaven after a night at the fire.
A Poncho Liner also is used as an underblanket in those not too cold nights, together with a bog standard, but slightly modified, poncho:
3009.07007.jpg

3009.07018.jpg

When it starts getting too cold for its use as a Underblanket I throw it over the ridgeline when going to sleep, thus adding considerable warmth when laying in the hammock:
291107037.jpg

Another use is when I stop while hiking for a quick brew-up. Worn under my Poncho I can comfortably sit next to the stove on my mat even in temperatures aproaching 0°C and dont get cold while waiting for the water to boil and having my drink.
Its plain ugly, though. And I hope none of my customers, whom I sell this fancy high-tech stuff, will ever see me in the woods wearing it.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
True, the US military poncho liner was made to tie into a poncho and used as a sleeping bag. Developed in the Vietnam era since in Vietnam a sleeping bag was a bit overly warm. There are some mods available to add a neck hole, I have never done one that way though. I use mine for warmer weather camping and used one a lot in the military. We used to say, travel light by day and freeze by night.
Anyway, there is my poncho liner story :)

blackwolf1

Dec 12, 2007
Auburn,Maine U.S.A.
There used to be a "poncho liner conversion kit" available through I think it was
Brigade Quartermasters,a large Army/Navy surplus store in the SE of the US.
They have a really great catalog.
The conversion kit was made up of 1 long zipper that would close up 1 end and go up about 3/4 the side,and a smaller zip that would close up the neck hole [when installed].
I never bought the kit but I did get a zipper and have it put it on my liner, it does work good so drafts are kept to a minimum.
I still beleive the poncho liner was God's gift to the Infantry.

True, the US military poncho liner was made to tie into a poncho and used as a sleeping bag. Developed in the Vietnam era since in Vietnam a sleeping bag was a bit overly warm. There are some mods available to add a neck hole, I have never done one that way though. I use mine for warmer weather camping and used one a lot in the military. We used to say, travel light by day and freeze by night.
Anyway, there is my poncho liner story :)

I have two US made poncho liners, one a very modern cammo woodland pat which is very thin, has no head hole and has ties to tie it into the corresponding poncho.

The other is about three times as thick (with little noticable difference in weight), it has buttons along the sides and a head hole slit. I'm not sure about the manufacture date of this, it could be 70's or 80's, but it's olive green and much warmer than the current issue liner.

The difference in both these liners are enormous. The thicker one takes slightly more space than the standard issue one but the insulation properties of it make it a far superior garment. Both were obtained from surplus in the states. so there's poncho liners and poncho liners :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know, hammock arrangements get more and more alarming, day by day...

I was just thinking the same thing :rolleyes: :D

Guys, I've got an idea for the ultimate in hammocky useable outfits. It's a snowsuit with attachment points like a spacesuit has.....you could just latch yourself into the trees in a padded zootsuit and if you needed up in the night, just unhook the latches, no wrestling in and out of hammocks and quilts and nets and tarps.........Toddy, who's staying on the ground ;)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Id like one of these.

any idea what they are made from that makes them so light and warm? I may be able to find something

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I was just thinking the same thing :rolleyes: :D

Guys, I've got an idea for the ultimate in hammocky useable outfits. It's a snowsuit with attachment points like a spacesuit has.....you could just latch yourself into the trees in a padded zootsuit and if you needed up in the night, just unhook the latches, no wrestling in and out of hammocks and quilts and nets and tarps.........Toddy, who's staying on the ground ;)

A bit of webbing and some D-rings on one of these and your idea might just become a reality ;)

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/outdoor-travel/selk-bags/index.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE