Poncho Problems!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Titch

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2007
KILMARNOCK
Been a bit stupid. Put my poncho through a wash cycle (covered in beer stains because I wore it to T in the Park) and the waterproofing on the underside has either went all gloopy or fallen off (wont make that mistake again!). Even though it didn't cost much, I dont want to throw it away as I quiet like it. Its still in one piece.

The question is, is there any way of re-waterproofing it?

Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated.

Cheers :You_Rock_

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Had something similar happen, someone put my Karrimor daysack into the washer. Unfortunately it has a rain cover stitched into it, which ended up sort of delaminating. Nylon outer and the rubber/latex(?) inner separated.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It sounds as though it's had a coating on the back to increase waterproofedness, and that's what has come off. My triple point ceramic jacket did it this Winter after ten years use :sigh:

Basically you can waterproof any fabric but you can't always make it waterproof and breathable.

Any of the spray on or the wash in ones for nylon will work :D the only thing is that you might need to keep at it for a bit until it's really waterproofed :) If there are seams at neck and shoulder it might be a good idea to use seam sealant on them too. Spoony recommended glue for this on a recent thread.

Hope this helps :)

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Then again - how breathable does a poncho need to be? They are quite well vented by design. I'd buy a can of Fabsil and go for it!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
What he said.

I'd be tempted to make a dilute solution of clear silicone and paint it on. Given that the item is near enough worthless now, you'll hardly loose out by trying something!

ATB

Ogri the trog

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
I did the same with a Peter Storm waterproof breathable jacket
Washed in detergent which desroys the waterproofing
I sprayd mine with a tin of sealer for other water proofs and worked ok
Have not tried it in very bad weather or to see if it is breathable
Mick
Wash waterproofs in soap flakes and warm water

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE