Polish Knight Fighting League

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Ooh! that's just nasty. Of course, that's the opinion of a guy who's 5'5", 9 stone and has dodgy knees. They might use my skull as a pisspot, otherwise, I'd be pretty useless.

Cheers,
Leif

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I can see next years MOOT is going to need a trauma tent and Dave Budd will be spending his time bashing out dents in armour.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
"Never in anger" is one slogan of reenactment that is worth bearing in mind. Point is that the game is all about control. People have to go to work on Monday mornings. You have to learn the skills before you go full on IF the other party is in agreement. No place in reenactment for bullies hammering down a weaker opponent. Plenty of opportunities in things like the "Circle of Treachery" for being sneaky though. But we are swinging, albeit blunt, real steel about so you do need a fair bit of nerve.

The videos show rather silly combats, grappling is not normally allowed for example in the UK and one wonders what actually they are trying to show.

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
"Never in anger" is one slogan of reenactment that is worth bearing in mind. Point is that the game is all about control. People have to go to work on Monday mornings. You have to learn the skills before you go full on IF the other party is in agreement. No place in reenactment for bullies hammering down a weaker opponent. Plenty of opportunities in things like the "Circle of Treachery" for being sneaky though. But we are swinging, albeit blunt, real steel about so you do need a fair bit of nerve.

The videos show rather silly combats, grappling is not normally allowed for example in the UK and one wonders what actually they are trying to show.

Are they actually doing it as 'reenactment' or are thy doing it as a sport?

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
More of a sport I suppose. I like the idiot with the poleaxe or similar bashing his own people as he attempts to hit a surrounded opponent.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
And I think the Teutonic chap is a bit confused by the non-surrendering Italian! As said if you're all up for full contact and there's rules go for it. It does look descent armour though.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Posted some of the videos on a football fan site I frequent & there's guys wanting to start a Scotland team already :D I wonder if they'd allow the lochaber axe - could be a useful weapon in it.....

Need some fitness to scrap in all that armour.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I re-enact 15th century and have the gear, and fighting on UK fields a lot tamer than that. I've also done the SCA version which swaps steel for rattan bambo. That is full contact and head hitting is allowed; there is something very satisfying, but wrong, in thusting a your sword into your opponants face and watching the head snap back. I must point out that the SCA only alow that with swords that have rubber tips on the end and ALL fighters have to wear face protection to the required standard.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Parrying edge to edge is known from the Bronze Age and on through to when swords were no longer used in combat. Where the confusion comes in, even in the articles quoted, is that a straight edge to edge parry would be avoided if possible but the flat to edge was not used as a straight block which endangered the blade but most often an angled parry in order to guide the opposing sword blade in the direction desired. What is the great mistake in reenactment and stage combat is the apparent aim to hit your opponents blade. In real life the aim is to hit your enemy, his blade is merely a nuisance getting in the way.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Knights and men at arms will have had had training and experiance, the levy troops would have had little if any. When your in the thick of it, would a normal bod be worried about technique? After all, its melee combat, not one on one with room to show your skill.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE