poisoned eagle's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Dreadful news - and the thing is, if they get caught, it's next to impossible to prove who actually laid the poison so will probably get away with it. And even if they are prosecuted they usually only get a small fine, a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again!

The laws need to be much, much tougher if this is to stop.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
This is not a rhetorical question but why?
I don't mean how can someone do such a dreadful thing why?
But am I missing something why?
Or is it as pointless as an act of vandalism?
Is someone thinking they are a pest ?
Just dont see the motive.
Dave

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
This is not a rhetorical question but why?
I don't mean how can someone do such a dreadful thing why?
But am I missing something why?
Or is it as pointless as an act of vandalism?
Is someone thinking they are a pest ?
Just dont see the motive.
Dave

It's usually gamekeepers Dave.

They reckon that raptors kill and spook the game birds thus spoiling the shoot.

Just takes one bludy moron to do an incredible amount of damage.

I hope his tadger rots and drops off.:aargh4:

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
initial thoughts on the news was that someone had left out poison for foxes or rats and the Eagle had eaten it rather than someone targetting the eagle directly. If they catch them they will still get prosecuted but I doubt if anyone will be happy with the result - least of all the eagle.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
On which planet do these :censored: people live? I just can't understand why they still do it. Willfully killing these magnificent birds is an absolute crime. I really hope they get caught :nutkick: :twak:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I really can't see an eagle taking rat bait to be honest. Rat bait is normally anti-coagulant based and needs to be ingested more than once. Its usually deployed on a grain carrier as well or in gel form. Both sorts should be contained in a bait box to prevent ingestion by non-target species. Secondary poisoning (eating poisoned rats) was my first thought. Most pest controllers try to removed bodies and incinerate or bury them - but its far from easy. Most foxes are controlled with traps or shooting rather than poison.

All that said, the gamekeepers I know would not be dumb enough to poison any raptor let alone an eagle. I'm not saying it couldn't be one but it strikes me as a strange thing as well as a sad one

Red

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Still don't get it!:(
Oh
It's usually gamekeepers Dave.

"I hope his tadger rots and drops off."

It could be a female Border River .....so lets hope that she has a problem with her foo foo!!!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
This is very sad but i dont agree with people saying its probably game keepers. Maybe some do but i think that it is wrong to assume that all Gamekeepers do it :(
leon

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
This is very sad but i dont agree with people saying its probably game keepers. Maybe some do but i think that it is wrong to assume that all Gamekeepers do it :(
leon

I don't think anybody is assuming that all gamekeepers poison birds - I know some that wouldn't dream of doing it - but some certainly do and it only takes one for tragic consequences! The baits are usually laid for raptors that take grouse chicks e.g. hen harriers.

The fact that it was found on a grouse moor and a poisoned bait was found close by points the finger at gamekeepers IMO.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I used to go to the Scottish Highlands regularly with the family and while we were there we'd spend a lot of time with the local gamekeeper - shooting, on the hills looking for deer, that kind of thing.

One year, when I was a child, I had the honour of seeing a Golden Eagle and excitedly told the gamekeeper when we saw him the next day.

''Aye'' he said. ''You've seen a regal animal there, no question. I still stop for a look every time I see one. Beautiful beasts they are.''

His respect for the Eagle was obvious, and it upsets me to think that a gamekeeper would deliberately poison one.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
unfortunatly human's have caused the demise of many a species, and i'm afraid to say i don't see it ending any time soon. sad fact of life.
sc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE