pocket stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
Hi,

Any comments on a cheap pocket stove, just for making a fresh brew or soup, no more.
I was thinking of the old army issue hex stove but I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers

Bonzo

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hey Bonzo,
To my recollection, the Army hexy cooker would rust through in a matter of months even if you looked after it, weeks if you didn't. Depending on your intended fuel source, you could do a lot worse than get one of hte pocket stoves mentioned here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22582
I bought a "seconds" item that only had a damaged box - they are pretty robust and fold down to a size comparable to an average paperback book.

ATB

Ogri the trog

W

WOKKA

HI Bonzo,
if you fancy using hexi's, get yourself a crusader cup and
cooker unit, and use hexi blocks instead of the green gel fuel.
The crusader cooker unit is more robust than the standard hexi.
another tip is to break the hexi block up,as this causes it to burn
slightly stronger.
cheers WOKKA:swordfigh

S

Suzi

The hexi stoves are pretty cool. Easy to use, and reliable (and cheap too!)
Unless you would prefare something different, I would go for a hexi stove. But hunt round for one that looks sturdy =)
Hope you get your stove soon!

Hi
Down to personal preferance really but just for a brew now and then I'd chase a crusader cup and stove unit plus some ezibit tabs, also if like many you are useing a standard MOD water bottle then this stows into the cup with the cooker underneath for transit.

Alternatively if you want to spend more money but have a faster brew look at jet boil, or the MSR pocket rocket.

Last but not least Ikea do a stainless steel cutlery holder which is cheap and cheerful and with a little modification, and three or four steel skewers makes a cracking hobo stove Waylander has some really good pics of his.

Cheers Tim

PS not played with pop tin stoves so cannot comment, but I can feel an urge to start checkin the bin as I type:yikes: .

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
Hi, i have the army issue folding stove with the hexi tablets, had it for a year or so now and not rusted so far, never had problems with the cooker itself, only down side i think is the tablets dont seem to last very long, not sure if there is better ones available but usually last long enough to boil water, or heat up your soup.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I didn't bother marking out or using scissors or a hole punch as i wanted to try a real "hobo" approach so this is just made from 2 beer cans and i used a SAK "Soldier" to cut everything.
I wanted to make this as simply as possible and i didn't want to use tape to hold it together so i just crimped the edges a little and it held fine.
425_2530_1.jpg
425_2533_1.jpg

Fill with meths or in this case Industrial spirits (i use this in my trangia as it burns much cleaner and doesn't soot up the pot's as much).
When it light the flame's only comes from the centre.
425_2538_1.jpg
425_2555_1.jpg

After a few seconds the flames start to come out the holes round the side.
I moved into the shed for these pic's as the flames are hard to see in daylight.
425_2582_1.jpg
425_2599_1.jpg

It's strong and stable enough to support a crusader cup and one fill was more than enough to bring a half full cup to a roaring boil and it was surprisingly quick.
426_2626_1.jpg
426_2621_1.jpg

5 min's turns 2 empty can's into a stove that cost's about as much as it weighs (nothing).

rb

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE