Pocket Barometers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wheelie1000

Aug 19, 2009
Cheltenham
I missed your question before Wheelie, but in my opinion a Thommen isn't waterproof. I used to use mine regularly and it usually lived in a wet pocket so I think this is why it stopped working. I think it went to a display of old kit after that!

You might get one cheap off the bay, they seemed to be popular in the states so worth looking on .com too.

that's good to k ow because I have seem some descriptions calling them waterproof

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Are you interested in local weather or the effect of weather on water levels? If it is water levels, I'm not sure a barometer will be much help. In my experience of rivers (as an ex-river dweller), it is the rainfall far upstream that really affects the water flow, not local rainfall. A barometer in your pocket isn't going to tell you much about that.

Wheelie1000

Aug 19, 2009
Cheltenham
Are you interested in local weather or the effect of weather on water levels? If it is water levels, I'm not sure a barometer will be much help. In my experience of rivers (as an ex-river dweller), it is the rainfall far upstream that really affects the water flow, not local rainfall. A barometer in your pocket isn't going to tell you much about that.

Merely to get an indication of an imminent deterioration in the weather so I can plan ahead not for rising water levels

Wheelie1000

Aug 19, 2009
Cheltenham
I can't speak on the accuracy but, I stumbled upon this earlier http://www.casio.co.uk/products/timepieces/sports-gear/product/?v=SGW-450HD-1BER
It's got a thermometer, barometer and altimeter on it and it's in Argos for £50. I wonder if it's as bomb proof as my Casio W59.

thanks for this. I've bought an old thommen barometer and altimeter on eBay which I hope will do the job although I think it's not waterproof which is a shame. But the fact that it's a lovely old school analogue instrument appealed a lot.

Id never heard of Thommen instruments before I posted this thread so thank you all for your help and the education

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
thanks for this. I've bought an old thommen barometer and altimeter on eBay which I hope will do the job although I think it's not waterproof which is a shame. But the fact that it's a lovely old school analogue instrument appealed a lot.

Id never heard of Thommen instruments before I posted this thread so thank you all for your help and the education

I've still got my Thommen altimeter. While I cannot vouch for its waterproofness if you are swimming, it has never been affected by moisture in the thirty or more years that I've had it. It's been with me on all the expeditions I've been on and during twenty seven Alpine seasons, during which it has faced the very worst weather; each time, it has remained doing what it does without fuss or loss of accuracy.

Well done for going analogue! It is often too easy to be blinded by the appeal of a gadget that does lots of things but there is a real, visceral draw to well-designed, simple instruments that do what they do without fuss or batteries. When it comes to compasses, altimeters, watches - analogue rules, in my opinion. I hope it years you years of reliable, pleasurable service.

Wheelie1000

Aug 19, 2009
Cheltenham
I've still got my Thommen altimeter. While I cannot vouch for its waterproofness if you are swimming, it has never been affected by moisture in the thirty or more years that I've had it. It's been with me on all the expeditions I've been on and during twenty seven Alpine seasons, during which it has faced the very worst weather; each time, it has remained doing what it does without fuss or loss of accuracy.

Well done for going analogue! It is often too easy to be blinded by the appeal of a gadget that does lots of things but there is a real, visceral draw to well-designed, simple instruments that do what they do without fuss or batteries. When it comes to compasses, altimeters, watches - analogue rules, in my opinion. I hope it years you years of reliable, pleasurable service.

Im totally with you. I don't mind paying extra for quality stuff when it has the potential to give good service for decades and like a quality automatic watch movement; there is a particular pleasure in using well engineered instruments

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE