Longer buffalo windshirt - any options?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
This is a long shot here. As a kid I bought a buffalo windshirt in size 42 for cycling in summer and walking. Basically it was my summer outer layer in rain. I absolutely loved it at the time because it fitted me well and was simply comfortable.

Fast forward and a few outdoor clothing systems later I find the benefits of a good windshirt again. I just can't find anything as good as the buffalo windshirt was. I say was because I'm now sized 44 in a special 6 shirt sand and that's a perfect fit for length and girth. I need that with an unlined version.

Why not get a 44 windshirt? It's significantly shorter. The 44 is the same length as the 42 which I have just tried on. Yes, I can still fit into the windshirt I wore when 14 years old!!!! It's just not long enough.

Plenty of windshirt options out there. I've got 4 somewhere in the house, but they're not right. Two Montane ones, full zip and without the excellent side zips and front pocket of the buffalo. Paramo one, front pocket is there but it's big and flappy as you'd expect with paramo sizes (let's not debate this point, it doesn't fit me so no good despite the good design features). Then there's the excellent buffalo one which I've grown too tall for, even in the in bigger sizes. BTW I've looked at the larger sizes and none will be long enough for my liking.

So does anyone know where I can get a smock style windshirt in pertex quantum (or equivalent) with a good chest pocket, side access zips which double as excellent ventilation, velcro wrist adjustment and has the potential for the addition of or indeed the existence of a hood? Tough ask because they're almost all based on the basic runner's wind top. I basically want something relatively light like those tops but with a more technical design like buffalo shirts.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Anyone know of custom outdoor clothing companies? Cioch I know about but they haven't anything I like. Hilltrek are in ventile which I don't like preferring pertex type of synthetics.

I've contacted buffalo in case they do custom sizes, long shot I know.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Thought you were taking the mick as I only know zoot suits as a particular kind of spivs suit from a long time ago.

Zoot Suit

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's actually a fair few lightweight, runner's/climber's smock or jackets in lightweight fabric. They're all very simple with a fine, elastic thread to form a basic cuff. The benefit of the buffalo windshirt is that it has all the features of the classic pertex and pile mountain shirt just an without the pile layer.

IMHO there is a market for slightly heavier windshirt with extra features. My personal wishlist is pertex, velcro adjustable cuffs not elastic, over the head design, snug fit everywhere so that there's not much flapping in strong wind, double action side zip for putting it on/taking off but also for ventilation, side velcro tabs at waist, large centre pocket and enough length to at least cover my belt. Buffalo windshirt is my ideal design except for the length. If they made one closer in length to the special 6 shirt but not quite as long then I'd buy it without hesitation?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Hmmm! Both those aren't really to my liking. They're kind of info lightweight but very basic. I'm really looking for something better specced out like the windshirt. I've seen great, basic windshirt styles based on very little in the way of features. I've seen very fancy designs using stretchy, almost softshell fabric with a lot of features. Weights range from 80g to 200-300g. Nothing I've seen from more mainstream brands is close to what I'm looking for.

I've seen a ME windshirt for £60 reduced from £120! There's only one left in my size and the only colour I like, blue. Why orange and yellow but nothing more normal. Blues, greens and blacks. My current windproof is a Montane litespeed from 10 years ago when they did a limited edition in aid of lake District MRTs. I'd forgotten a windshirt or waterproof on a cold, windy day that was beautifully clear and sunny. So the shop had opened (it was Saturday) and the guys waited while I splashed the cash. It was my second Montane but the other was the more basic one. Still got it somewhere.

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
Have you spoken to Buffalo?

Not sure if they still offer custom, but they always used to. Ordered a few over the years for customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Have you spoken to Buffalo?

Not sure if they still offer custom, but they always used to. Ordered a few over the years for customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Emailed them what already but they do take a few working days and I expect it'll be longer in these times. I suspect they've stopped custom but it might be the only way to get something right. I could even try and specify the exact length wanted if they do it.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Arktis/fortis still make the stowaway shirt which is similar to the Zoot Suit tops. I have a couple and they are great to have in the bag in case you get caught out

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Still do them and they're very basic. I can't understand how there's nothing a bit more featured out there. Buffalo make only the windshirt, Curbar top and buffalolite tops. Is it just me who find them too short?

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
I remember reading somewhere that the shorter length was to avoid the shirt interfering with a climbing harness.
Ironically I find shorter way more uncomfortable with a harness as its not long enough to tuck properly, meaning it gets pushed up above the harness belt and your midriff is exposed... proper climbing layers, for example for winter climbing, are always tucked so longer is better! I have a buffalo special 6 and find it really long, covers my bum.

good luck on the hunt!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE