Pocket Barometers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wheelie1000

Aug 19, 2009
Cheltenham
Does anyone know if any good reasonably accurate ones are available?

Im planning an extended solo trip and it would be handy to have a chance of a heavy weather warning.

Other than a couple of old pocket watch barometers, I can't find anything that's looks particlaukry modern and good. It made me wonder what proper explorers today and of old use, if anything. Radio and sat comms and mapping have perhaps made one redundant, but I'm sure people must use them?

All I've found so far are digital fishing ones, so I'm considering this which I've seen some positive reviews for on US forums. I would like something a bit more traditional though
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PeleusTech®-Spovan-SPV600-Outdoor-Waterproof/dp/B00RYIVILG

Ive just ordered a Suunto DP6 Global compass, the matchbox style one and was hoping to find an equivalent sturdy Baromerter possibly with altimeter.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
The Suunto Core and Vector watches have a barometer and altimeter functions that are accurate and reliable. They also have a weather arrow (based on the pressure) showing the general trend.

If you're doing an extended trip would you not want to cut items or have kit that is multi purpose?

We used to get issued with Thommen Altimeter / Barometers back in the day but they were mega expensive and pretty much became redundant when altimeter watches started coming on the market. Here's one for £300 if your interested!:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/3718...=1007441&device=c&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0

Wheelie1000

Aug 19, 2009
Cheltenham
Unless you want to pay really silly money you could have a go at making your own http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Portable-Weather-Monitor-DHT11-and-BMP85-w/?ALLSTEPS

My old phone (Nexus 5) had a barometer built into it, which I kind of miss.

thanks for that I'd prefer something analogue and there a good chance I will be out of signal area so mobile app type options won't work. I'm going to be on water too so a waterproof one would best. Out of interest what crazy expensive ones were you referi g to?

thanks

Wheelie1000

Aug 19, 2009
Cheltenham
The Suunto Core and Vector watches have a barometer and altimeter functions that are accurate and reliable. They also have a weather arrow (based on the pressure) showing the general trend.

If you're doing an extended trip would you not want to cut items or have kit that is multi purpose?

We used to get issued with Thommen Altimeter / Barometers back in the day but they were mega expensive and pretty much became redundant when altimeter watches started coming on the market. Here's one for £300 if your interested!:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/3718...=1007441&device=c&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0

thanks for that info. Really appreciate it. I knew they must exist I just couldn't find one. the watch maybe a good option. I just like old school analogue stuff

Trotsky

thanks for that I'd prefer something analogue and there a good chance I will be out of signal area so mobile app type options won't work. I'm going to be on water too so a waterproof one would best. Out of interest what crazy expensive ones were you referi g to?

thanks

I've seen handheld barometers costing thousands of dollars, so that kind of silly money.
The one in the link could be made waterproof, it just depends on your choice of housing. If you go for something rated IP66 or IP68 you'd be laughing. Once it's programmed to go all it needs is power from the 9V battery.
As for the mobile, it wasn't reliant on signal, the phone had chips inside for detecting atmospheric pressure so the barometer app could function even in aeroplane mode. I never used it in a bushcraft sense but, it's come in handy other times by correctly telling me rain was heading in when all the weathermen said otherwise.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire

Wheelie1000

Aug 19, 2009
Cheltenham
I've seen handheld barometers costing thousands of dollars, so that kind of silly money.
The one in the link could be made waterproof, it just depends on your choice of housing. If you go for something rated IP66 or IP68 you'd be laughing. Once it's programmed to go all it needs is power from the 9V battery.
As for the mobile, it wasn't reliant on signal, the phone had chips inside for detecting atmospheric pressure so the barometer app could function even in aeroplane mode. I never used it in a bushcraft sense but, it's come in handy other times by correctly telling me rain was heading in when all the weathermen said otherwise.

the electronics option is beyond my technical know how. Thanks for the correction re the mobile option.

A second hand Thommen is my preferred option so far, does anyone know if they're waterproof?

thanks

bearbait

I have a Silva Windwatch barometer/altimeter with which I am quite pleased. A quick search on Amazon found this. You get wind speed as well as temperature and wind chill.

My Garmin GPS units (60CSX, 62S) have a proper altimeter which can be configured as either altimeter or barometer. Something like this may be a reasonable multi-use alternative?

Last edited:

Trotsky

That's a great tip Trotsky.
Cheers for that!��
I've messed around with the RaspberryPi before and I'm familiar with Python code, might give the arduino a go
And the Nexus 5 too...
��

There's no end to what you can do with those things, from the simple to the bizarre to the genius. I've not dabbled as I haven't really found a need for one if I'm honest, though they do fit with my idea of "can I make it rather than buy it?" On the plus side you can reuse the Arduino for other projects as you see fit.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
If you wanted to avoid battery-operated devices, you might be able to find one of the old Thommen altimeters up for grabs somewhere. Beautifully engineered and, like a Francis Barker compass, will last a life time.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I missed your question before Wheelie, but in my opinion a Thommen isn't waterproof. I used to use mine regularly and it usually lived in a wet pocket so I think this is why it stopped working. I think it went to a display of old kit after that!

You might get one cheap off the bay, they seemed to be popular in the states so worth looking on .com too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE