Longer buffalo windshirt - any options?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Indeed. I seem to recall one with a crotch strap (like the blacks smock) too which kept it down under the harness.

this is from a catalogue about 20 years ago mind when they sold various smocks jackets and shirts

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
Thats exactly the one I had and liked. For me the crotch strap stopped it riding up the back because the back of the shirt was too short for me. Its why I bought a Montane one as a replacement with it having the strap.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You've got no zip on half the front of the smock but you still choose to put a piddly, little pocket to one side of the zip like it's a full zip. Is that because you then don't have to create a new pocket design just use the full zip jacket pocket in the half zip smock? Is it really down to lazy designers and manufacturing?

It's become a bugbear right now. Am I the only one who can see no good reason for not designing a slightly better, all day windshirt that isn't a softshell with insulation? I can wear basic pertex quantum over a t-shirt in the warmer months when the wind become stronger and it even enough in showers. I never used waterproofs ever in summer for years. Initially because I had only freebie, insulated waterproofs and later paramo which was too warm. I used a windshirt possibly over a thin, wicking, LS base layer or microfleece even in the heaviest of summer rains. Then I got a membrane shell and that's been my sweatbag ever since in summer.

Is it too much to expect payment someone to make a pertex quantum smock type windshell that's waterproof length, not so short you've got two inches gap between your belt and the bottom of the smock and a decent centre pocket that's OS map friendly????

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I can fit 3/4 to 4/5 of an OS map in the Borealis pull on shirt, so if you fold it up it would fit (it's a square pocket). To be fair it's designed for climbers who probably don't haul an OS map around while on pitch.

The Borealis jacket has a full length zip and two pockets that I believe fit OS mops without any problems.

I like it because it's got a thin windproof fabric that's pleasant against the skin with no insulation or lining. It's long in the body to keep it riding up and the sleeves are long too for reaching above your head.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Montane used to make a smock version of it's lightest windshirt jacket. I think it's the featherlite. In fact I've just checked that have just sold out of a limited edition smock version of the featherlite. I couldn't find out if they had a non limited edition on sale, suspect not.

The borealis jacket is not really different to my Montane litespeed so not worth looking at. Personally I think that if the buffalo windshirt fits and suits you then it's features beat the borealis/litespeed basic windshirts. The smock with double ended side zips is a very good design. It allows for a snug fit because there's the zips you can open to her it on. Then you can vent nicely with those side zips. The early versions had velcro front pocket but current buffalo windshirt has a zipped front pocket. IMHO it has a lot better design features not available elsewhere. Just the damn length!!!!! Annoying!!!

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Just seen and respond to your other post Buffalo should be able to make you a longer one they have done a few for me in the past. Keep trying to contact them.

Personally I prefer this Buffalo style, tried many many others including ronhill running tops for hillwalking and yes had the old zoom suits, more of a gimmick used in the army for sitting around camp when the rest of your kit was wet. Absolutely freezing if used outside.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE