Please Remember!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, if you've gotten lucky with the hunting or the fishing, or if you're discussing hunting or butchery in detail or posting photos, just post it in the fair game section of Lovely Grub.
There are issues with dead animals/ fish/ fowl, and that's it. I really don't mind what you make for breakfast :D
I personally can't see a problem with a mention of something along the lines of, "Had a bacon buttie with fresh chanterelles." or "had a stir fry with some fresh mushroom and greenery and rabbit." but if nyou start telling us how you caught the beast, processed it, etc. then it needs to go into Fair Game.
Not rocket science, just a little thought.

cheers,
Toddy......who'd itching to lock this one down until it's been clarified by Admin.

p.s. trapping is a hunting method ;) :D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
So... for clarity....Can we just say if it's about hunting, fishing, trapping, netting or any other method of catching the fauna it should be in fair game.

So too should descriptions of gutting, skinning, butchering or any other such gruesome activity.

If it's about food and does not include any of the above it can be included in lovely grub even if it is not just about the flora.

Is that about right? :rolleyes:

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Toddy said:
I personally can't see a problem with a mention of something along the lines of, "Had a bacon buttie with fresh chanterelles." or "had a stir fry with some fresh mushroom and greenery and rabbit." but if nyou start telling us how you caught the beast, processed it, etc. then it needs to go into Fair Game.
Not rocket science, just a little thought.

:D

So, let me get this right. You can not see a problem with killing and processing pork, then cooking it with mushrooms. But you would have a problem if I were to say how I got the pork?

Or.....

It would be okay to say that I am going to eat mushrooms and rabbit kidneys but not that I had shot the rabbit?

But.....

It would be okay to say that I was going to eat some (PLEASE SEE POST IN OTHER FORUM / THREAD) and some lovely mushrooms that I decapitated in a field of green grass. Used a six inch cold steel blade to cut them mushrooms really nice.

But.........

It would be okay to say, got some fine bacon from a Tesco butcher today, whilst out walking I hacked up some lovely tender Young mushrooms, got a lovely drink from a tree that I drilled a 3" hole in to. Love the blood of a young birch tree.
Fried up the bacon, mushrooms and washed it down with the left overs of birch blood! yum, yum.

Toddy, with all due respect sounds like you have a problem with hunters.

On the other hand, I totally agree that warnings should be given should anyone wish to post graphic pictures of any animal NOT just game / vermin.

John

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Toddy said:
If it's skinning and brain tanning and the like, please use Fair Game.
Toddy

This would then effect the use of animal parts in forum DIY.
For example the processing of deer antler in stick making.

(I'm not trying to be funny with you here)

I can not see the difference with processing antler to make a stick and processing rabbits to make a burger.

So what you are saying is that *any* processing of animals should be topical only in fair game?

John

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Hunter_zero said:
So, let me get this right. You can not see a problem with killing and processing pork, then cooking it with mushrooms. But you would have a problem if I were to say how I got the pork?

Or.....

It would be okay to say that I am going to eat mushrooms and rabbit kidneys but not that I had shot the rabbit?

But.....

It would be okay to say that I was going to eat some (PLEASE SEE POST IN OTHER FORUM / THREAD) and some lovely mushrooms that I decapitated in a field of green grass. Used a six inch cold steel blade to cut them mushrooms really nice.

But.........

It would be okay to say, got some fine bacon from a Tesco butcher today, whilst out walking I hacked up some lovely tender Young mushrooms, got a lovely drink from a tree that I drilled a 3" hole in to. Love the blood of a young birch tree.
Fried up the bacon, mushrooms and washed it down with the left overs of birch blood! yum, yum.

Toddy, with all due respect sounds like you have a problem with hunters.

On the other hand, I totally agree that warnings should be given should anyone wish to post graphic pictures of any animal NOT just game / vermin.

John

Yeah, so this is just a whole big steaming pile of pot stirring flame-bait hyperbole. If you'd read further back, the reasoning was made clear and a sensible (temporary) solution formulated. Love it or lump it.

And whether Toddy has a problem with hunters or not, it is apparent that this arrangement has been in place for a long time and that many of us were just not aware of it. I don't see how drawing a line in the sand is somehow showing off Toddy's (possible) bias.

AFAIAC, if people don't like the rules of some message board on the internet, they can leave. Discussions by adults don't go like this.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know this is why I clearly said can we use a little courtesy until we get clear guidelines.

I find it an adult judgement call that allows me to use/ discuss leather but not show the photos of a deer being gralloched or it's skin being tanned.
Antler doesn't need the beast to be dead or shown to be dead.
Secondary products such as leather, bone, antler are permissible in other forums.
I have no issues with hunters, ( I'm on very good terms with many of them :D ) but I do have to accept that not everyone is comfortable reading/ viewing graphic details. That's why we have seperate forums.

Not beyond mortal wit guys.
It's been a long day, if you've read this far through the thread you can see why the guidelines are needed :rolleyes:

Consider this closed until they're ready.

cheers,
Toddy

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'll just make an addition :D Till further notice this is how things will stand, Toddy has covered it well enough.

If there's a recipie that requires some meat but you're not discussing killing and cutting up an animal it's fine in lovely grub, it's about eating in general. The Fair Game forum is for more hard core conversations about meat, hunting, preparation etc.

This will get reviewed in the next while as we get the new site up and work our way through changes that need to be made to reflect the large number of very divergent users.

We will rearrange things to be more accommodating but it's not going to be over night.

Lastly, what Ed says is correct, there's a lot of stuff that should be in fair game that's not and it needs to be, there's lots of reasons for it, not just that it offends some people.

Toddy said:
I'm broadly in agreement Wayland. I do know how to cook meat, have no issues discussing it or doing it; I just won't eat it.
Not everyone does though.

Back to the courtesy thing I suspect.

Until we get things clarified;
If it is Hunting, shooting and Fishing, please use Fair Game.
If it's skinning and brain tanning and the like, please use Fair Game.
If it's major meat prep/ cooking (like the birds stuffed one inside the other), please use Fair Game.

Otherwise use Lovely Grub.

We'll see if we can get things tidied up asap.

cheers,
Toddy

PS, if i get hold of any of the emails/PM's that people have sent using foul or threatening language it will be an automatic ban from the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE