Please Remember!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
This forum is for talking about wild foraged food.... not hunting, fishing, or meat of any kind. These should be posted in fair game.

The reason I am posting this is that I'm having to flag posts to the mods nearly every day as people seem to have forgotten about the fair game forum and what it is there for.

.... so please.... if you want to talk about any sort of eating of animals, please post it in fair game.

Thanks for your time

Ed

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
Ed said:
This forum is for talking about wild foraged food.... not hunting, fishing, or meat of any kind. These should be posted in fair game.

The reason I am posting this is that I'm having to flag posts to the mods nearly every day as people seem to have forgotten about the fair game forum and what it is there for.

.... so please.... if you want to talk about any sort of eating of animals, please post it in fair game.

Thanks for your time

Ed
I take it this forum is just for "veggies". I thought lovely grub was just about that which would include wild foraged meat and fish and good recipes that go with them. :confused:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
thomasturnbull said:
I take it this forum is just for "veggies". I thought lovely grub was just about that which would include wild foraged meat and fish and good recipes that go with them. :confused:

No, I don't think that's the case. I would have thought you can still talk about meat in terms of recipes and cooking it. The 'Lovely Grub' forum - as far as I understood it - is for talking about stuff you've foraged and cooked, and what you do with meat after it's been hunted/trapped, whatever. The actual hunting and trapping and game prep stuff should go in 'Fair Game'.

I'm veggie and I still want to read about what people have done to catch/trap and prepare animals and fish (Fair Game forum), and what they do with the meat afterwards (Lovely Grub forum). Never know, it might save my life one day.

Mind you, that could be bo***cks... :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
As one of the Mods who has to spend time tidying up forums instead of reading threads purely for enjoyment, may I second Ed's appeal?

BcUK is a very widely read site; we aim to keep it suitable reading for anyone. The reason for the separation, Lovely Grub/ Fair Game, is for two reasons. Quite simply not everyone reads in the privacy of their own home.
Two student members were reprimanded for reading threads showing scenes of animal butchery and hunting in a public place (library/ student i-net cafe). If they don't open Fair Game in public, no issues :cool:
The second reason is that while we all have to eat; hunting, shooting and fishing and animal preparation, is just not everyone's cup of tea.

It's no real hardship, surely, to simply put threads in appropriate forums?

Your assistance in this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Toddy

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I'm in the same boat as Mikey; I thought it was only the dirty bits that were meant to be kept in the Fair Game forum. I grew up on a cattle ranch, raised in a family of hunters and have taken my share of small game, spent 3 years as a full-on veggie and am now a semi veggie (we eat fish and seafood). I've seen it all and it doesn't bother me one way or the other, personally.

I would like to suggest that the mods/admin make this position clear with a sticky or the labelling of the fora; I see only a sticky in the Fair Game forum asking us to keep the hunting and killing in that forum, and the label "Trapping and Game Preparation" to me only encompasses the capture and butchery, not the manufacture of jerky or how to cook a fish over a fire.

I'm just saying that if you're making hard delineations, you should have them laid out explicitly so you don't have to keep coming around to tidy up. :)

Playing devil's advocate here, but it would appear that the only discussion of hunting/trapping/preparation condoned by BCUK would be for survival situations, not for simple dietary interest.

From the sticky: "Sometimes the natural resources of the world have to be called upon for our survival. That is the only aspect of animal use we condone. We will not tolerate any discussion other than bushcraft and survival use of animals."

Does that mean that, technically, we should only be discussing meat for survival, not meat for fun? No catching fish by the river and frying them up for pleasure? I'm not sure the second sentence dissolves the impact of the first, which seems pretty clear.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think we'll have a wee think about clarifying things. Your comments will be read and considered.

I've been veggie so long I don't even recall what meat tastes like; I do know that the smell of it cooking can turn my stomach though, but that's *my* issue, not a burden on anyone else.

I have no issues with a clean kill; for need, for hunting or when threatened or to keep down vermin. I do have issues with inhumane treatment of any creature but I supect that that's a common place reaction within this community.
I think the Fair Game sub-forum seperation is a fairly useful way of keeping things smooth on the site. No one who *may* find the discussion or images disturbing *need* to read. It's where I'd put things like skinning and some tanning images too because they can be a bit visceral even if they really sort of more belong in diy.

Simple rule, be courteous about it :)

Cheers,
Toddy

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
Toddy said:
As one of the Mods who has to spend time tidying up forums instead of reading threads purely for enjoyment, may I second Ed's appeal?

BcUK is a very widely read site; we aim to keep it suitable reading for anyone. The reason for the separation, Lovely Grub/ Fair Game, is for two reasons. Quite simply not everyone reads in the privacy of their own home.
Two student members were reprimanded for reading threads showing scenes of animal butchery and hunting in a public place (library/ student i-net cafe). If they don't open Fair Game in public, no issues :cool:
The second reason is that while we all have to eat; hunting, shooting and fishing and animal preparation, is just not everyone's cup of tea.

It's no real hardship, surely, to simply put threads in appropriate forums?

Your assistance in this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Toddy
Cheers Toddy for explaining the difference between these forums i am newish to this web site and still learning sorry for sounding sarcastic about the "veggie" quote it was not meant to be that way :beerchug:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hang on... I take the point about hunting and trapping but I take meat with me to cook on most occasions..... At the very least I carry cured meats.

This is partly because many vegetable products make me extremely ill.

Are we saying that discussions of how to use this food in the wilderness should now be put in with all the hunting stuff because some people find meat distasteful in some way?

I get the feeling there is a bit of an agenda here..... :bluThinki

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
There are alot of Veggie members here.... and early on it was agreed to keep lovely grub as a veggie forum and all 'meat posts' in fair game.... that was years ago.....maybe the staff should get a posting guide together .... I know I wrote one before i left but i dont think it was put up/implemented.

It would be a shame to see the veggies leave just because they dont want to read about eating meat etc(and it has happened.... more than once)

Sorry to cause a controvasy.... I thought it was common knowledge that lovely grub was a veggie/no meat forum.... I was justreminding new members that may not know this..... my mistake... and sorry again :(

Ed

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The problem with that approach is that if someone asks what foods to take out on a trip in "Lovely Grub" are we only allowed to suggest veggie options?

Likewise if it's in the fair game section can I say "don't suggest putting an onion in my stew" because it will land me in hospital?

Human beings are omnivores and there needs to be a place such omnivores can discuss food surely.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm broadly in agreement Wayland. I do know how to cook meat, have no issues discussing it or doing it; I just won't eat it.
Not everyone does though.

Back to the courtesy thing I suspect.

Until we get things clarified;
If it is Hunting, shooting and Fishing, please use Fair Game.
If it's skinning and brain tanning and the like, please use Fair Game.
If it's major meat prep/ cooking (like the birds stuffed one inside the other), please use Fair Game.

Otherwise use Lovely Grub.

We'll see if we can get things tidied up asap.

cheers,
Toddy

to play devils advocate :

the Title and description of Fair Game
could be read as specific to well ,,,,,Game Which to a towny (generlisation i know :rolleyes: ) may suggest meat in general BUT is to the country folk (generlisation i know :rolleyes: ) a specific defined set of animals/foul

Deer/Phesants for example are Game

Rabbits/pigieon are classified as Vermin

Cow, pigs, sheep, chicken etc are neather

the crayfish post is oviously about a living creature but again Not game and hasnt been moved ??

however a post on Bream has been moved Now Bream isnt a game fish and the question had nothing to do with catching one just a request for recipes ???

are shell fish foraged of the beach (food for free) allowed here or in fair game
depends if the Vegaterians here are + chicken and fish ?? or even Vegan

I suspect most people dont even see the Sub Sections and just post here as the section title is what most read and thats just .... Lovely Grub

obviously discussions years ago would not be picked up by most now and even a Sticky please read is easy for most to not bother

Sorry but if your involved in bushcraft and join a bushcraft forum you would expect to find the odd ref to meat.

obviously as one of the minority here who do eat meat ... ill get my coat :sad6:

Duncan

PS i hope any Tee total recovering acloholics arnt offended and leave because they stumble into a Wine ore sloe gin thread as its a grub section and alcohol isnt really Bushcraft is it

David Morgan

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2004
Buckinghamshire
While the distinction between 'lovely grub' (vegetable foods) and 'fair game' (meat) seems clear cut once it's been explained I think confusion arrises because there is nothing in the title 'lovely grub' to suggest that its a meat free zone; I assumed it was a pun on the bushcraft cliche of eating insects grubs, which are of course meat! It also seems odd that meat is relegated to a sub-forum when the majority of people eat meat, and that many great recipies involve both meat and veg. The fact that recent postings on hangi meat cooking, bacon, rabbit, mussels and trout have all gone un-moved/removed also might lead to people not making the distinction!
Perhaps the solution would to have a 'foraging and gathering' section for fruit, veg, and fungi, the 'fair game' section' for hunting, fishing, trapping, and butchery and game prep, and the 'lovely grub' section as a recipies page for all wild ingrediants once they've been procured and prepared (hence no graphic descriptions or illustrations of hunting, gutting, butchery etc). Or perhaps that would just confuse things more :confused: .

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Maybe Fair Game should be made a proper forum rather than a sub, this will give it more of a presence, also perhaps a less obscure title might be in order.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Have to admit, I am getting confused here, I thought lovely grub was about all food, recepies etc, and fair game was about trapping, shooting game...Maybe it should be called "lovely veggie grub"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE