platypus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

strollon

Mar 4, 2005
suffolk
Does anybody know of any problems if i were to freeze water in a platypus bag to use as a freeze pack in a norgie. part filled to allow for expansion then once thawed use as drinking water, would the seems be ok?

Regards Strollon

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
We have frozen water in the platypus loads of times without any problem.
We do it regularly at this time of the year when we go to the beach for a day and we've had the same platypusses /platypi for the last 5 years at least without any dramas.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Think you can do this to the Source ones too. A better product for preventing mould and for durability and preventing leaks for longer IME.

Platy and Source are the only two makes I'd consider. Apart from the other makes that are made by source but re-branded as innovate or whatever. You can spot them as they look same as a source but with an old style bite valve not the newer helix bite valve which is probably the best one out there.

Whatever boil or freeze away just leave room for expansion. Can do the same for bottles of water (well freeze it that is) but freeze with the bottle upside down as the ice floats to the surface and can freeze in the mouth of the bottle blocking it until frozen. Freezing upside down means the frozen water rises to the bottom of the bottle and if part frozen can get the non-frozen water out.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
much better to freeze a wine bag :)

my missus has just gone through her third platypus and I dont know why she wastes her money.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I have had my Platypus bags freeze up on a trip before nothing bad came of it. I just stood them up around the fire and they thawed no problem. The worst I've had happen to platypus bags is that eventually they will start to delaminate. Mac

Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
what about California Innovations?
I've got a bag by them, and a camelbak type thingy came with it, and I've never found out what company it was made by.
It has a rubbery bite valve, which clicks out slightly from the tube to open, and clicks back in to close

Mar 10, 2010
UK
camelbak is the best!?

their products do everything you listed, and have a lifetime warranty... if they break they will replace them free of charge, no quibbles.......... can't argue with that!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE