plants and fungi around at this time of year?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sophielou10

Aug 18, 2010
england
what sorts of plants of fungi are around at this time of year?

i currently posses the collins gem food for free book.
it suggests:
-chickweed
-velvet shank
-oyster mushroom
-blewit
-chanterelle
-fairy ring champignon
-honey fungus

does anyone know of any other (preferably) fairly easy to identify?
would especially like to know if there (.sp?) are any other plants about at this time of year. I'm not experienced but thinking that after the hard frosts we've had recently, only hard species would be about.

going for a walk tomorrow, but obviously i appreciate it is new years eve.

Sophie
x

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
I wouln't expect to find much to be honest although def keep an eye out for oyster fungus as I ate some 2 days ago (yum yum).
Chickweed for sure too (although not always sure about that due to the fact it tends to grow in places where dogs like to pee) but really not sure about the rest of your list.
Please let us know if you do find anything else - you never know...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Jelly ears :) himself brought me some home two days ago :cool:
Bittercress, the cuckooflower is putting out fresh leaves, so are the dandelions (they grew under the snow ) the strawberries stilll have a lot of green leaves too.

cheers,
Toddy

On my blog I'm putting together a forage page! It's still under construction but here's a few snippets from it that iv researched so far that are available I'n Winter!

Bulrushes: the most abundant food product, the root starch, may be harvested.

Dandelions: leaves:If a bit bitter, boil and rinse, boil and rinse. Root: The taproot is edible all year, but is best from late Autumn to early Spring. Use it as a cooked vegetable, especially in soups. Although not as tasty as many other wild root vegetables, It's not bad. Pre-boiling and changing the water, or long, slow simmering mellows this root.

I saw some young Stinging nettles too yesterday, but it was a dog spot!!

There's a fair few edibles on my blog with time of year.. but not many Winter yet!

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
WolfCrafter, nice link!
Mary, what do you do with the jelly ears? Always interested in hearing how other folks use them. Not sure what i'd do other than dry them and use them in soups...
Maybe we should start a jelly ear recipie thread lol

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Out for a stroll today, lots of jelly ear (didn't collect any - wish I had now), some cramp balls, many birch polypore. Also nettle, garlic mustard, primroses and 3 mullein all putting out new leaves. It isn't spring yet, but the days are starting to get longer.

For things to do at this time of year, try learning to identify evergreen trees, or trees from their bark. Good time also for looking at bracket fungi, and fungi on dead wood.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was tidying up a bit in the garden this afternoon. The mallow is putting out new leaves too :D

I wash the jellly ears under running cold water and then pat them dry on a teatowel. Then I slice them up finely and stir fry them with veggies :D They add a nice texture and I like the taste.
They are also good dried and added to soups and stews :)

Neat idea on using this time of year to identify the evergreens :approve:
The buds are a good way of identifying other trees too at this time of year. I need to do more of that.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Paul, are you on any of the Scottish Fungus Groups ?
There's an outing nearer to your side of the country than mine soon.
I'll send the details :)

cheers,
M

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Rosehips and apples if you are lucky. rosehips if they aren't blacked mush are easy to eat now, just nip of the tip and squeeze the meat out. If you find a reasonable amount try nipponsoppa.

Mahonia flowers are nice. I have seen nettles and wintercress. i munched some thistle root yesterday. always remember bullrush roots.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The little celandines in the garden are putting out leaves too. Their roots are tasty wee potato things :)

Was there much to the thistle roots ?
The ground is frozen solid here :sigh: and now it's snowing again.

cheers,
M

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I don't know if it is still available, but for learning confiers (mainly evergreens) in the UK, I use an old (1985) Forestry Commission Booklet No.15, just called "Conifers". Basic line drawings, but really good. If you can get a copy, I'd recommend it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE