It's TICK time of year and time for a reminder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I may be preaching to the converted but I thought I would post my recent experiences as food for thought for the coming summer weather and one of the few dangers we face in "getting out there".

A year or so ago a good friend of mine from Dartmoor (Ivan) contracted Lymes disease from a not-so-friendly tick. Whilst it bowled him off his feet at the time, he was the first person I had known to be hit by it and thankfully he recovered well.

This year it was my turn.
Several weeks back I noticed two large lumps between my shoulder blades which were a little bruised and looked to my wife like some sort of insect bites. I wasn't aware of being bitten at any point and duly ignored them.
Some 10 days later I came down with what I thought was Flu (man flu as the wife thought at the time). I managed to work through it for two days but on the third day I was incapacitated by debilitating head pains.
After spending a full night in agony which pain killers didn't touch, I made an emergency quacks appointment the following morning and was sent straight to hospital.
Whilst being drained of blood for testing and undergoing a CT scan, no amount of Morphine or analgesics dulled the pain and a Lumber Puncture soon followed.

Long story short is that I had/have contracted Lymes disease which resulted in Meningitis and has been an experience I don't want to repeat in a hurry.

As with many here, I have tick removers in my FAK but what I didn't have was a mirror of any sorts or did I ever bother to check myself for ticks on my back or nether regions whilst out.
I know not all ticks carry Lymes and for the ticks we can see it's not too difficult to remove them.
Mine were out of view and no doubt I squashed the critters when I sat back in the car to drive home.

I've learned a valuable lesson both for myself and my two girls when I take them out on camp.
Worth highlighting to people here anyway. Pack some tick removers and a mirror and make a periodic inspection of those hard to reach places on yourself and your kids.
Whilst I have many good bushcrafting buddies, I've no plans on asking them to check my derriere is free from ticks!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers for bringing up the warning again, I tend to bore folk warning them. I was diagnosed with heart failure about six years ago due to lymes, I just got a pacemaker fitted last week and things are now looking up. In the meantime it's ruined my health, also needing a new hip due to the joint damage it did and interfered with life in general. A lot of UK GP's know little about this so you may have to push to get tests answers. They're not good.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A lot of UK GP's know little about this so you may have to push to get tests answers. They're not good.

I experienced this with my local docs when I thought I'd contracted Lymes, the first one I saw even had to Google it to compare the marks I had on my skin, there we were with my belly hanging out while she's looking back and forth at the Wiki page. Living in Leeds I don't expect it's a common complaint so I wasn't too put out, but if you're travelling to areas where it's rife then it's up to you to get it checked properly.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Rich I worked in forestry for years and even when I left I climbed, walked, paddled had a dog was always out. I always checked though with my little mirror in the shower. But its so easy to miss one. Couldn't say for sure where I picked it up, often you may feel "under the weather" and not put it down to something like that, I'd been getting unwell for a long time and put off going to the Doctors like a lot of guys do. Folks don't realise that ticks are moving into gardens in urban environments, you don't have to be in the sticks to get them now. So sorry I can't be more precise but we all just have to be careful now.

Cheers,
Colin.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Rich I worked in forestry for years and even when I left I climbed, walked, paddled had a dog was always out. I always checked though with my little mirror in the shower. But its so easy to miss one. Couldn't say for sure where I picked it up, often you may feel "under the weather" and not put it down to something like that, I'd been getting unwell for a long time and put off going to the Doctors like a lot of guys do. Folks don't realise that ticks are moving into gardens in urban environments, you don't have to be in the sticks to get them now. So sorry I can't be more precise but we all just have to be careful now.

Cheers,
Colin.

Sorry Col, I meant to ask Rich but you posted in the meantime :)

I was curious if they're getting bad in Wales now too

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Ticks are evil. I once tried to tan a roe deer hide, and got 7 of them on me. The dog has like 8 of them on a bad day. I am an experienced tick remover because of it, while most people I know have never seen a tick. Problem is you can't remove the ones you don't notice. Death to all ticks!:AR15firin

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Good and timely reminder, I had my first of the year about two weeks back.

Whilst I have been lucky enough never to contract lymes I found a tick about 3 years ago that could only have come from a trip at least a week before, now swmbo does a thorough check every time I get back and seems to take great pleasure in removing them!

Keep your eyes peeled folks, like many on here I know a few who have contracted this nasty condition and its not pleasant!

Hamster

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Holy moly!! Not another one! :(

Sorry to hear that Rich but good to know you've found the cause and are getting it treated.

Ticks from the same wood as Ivan?

No Paul. I'm sure it was from the Lakes but you never know. I haven't been out to my local spots since coming back but I have been doing some woodland walks locally though.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Sorry Col, I meant to ask Rich but you posted in the meantime :)

I was curious if they're getting bad in Wales now too

My neighbours mother lives about 2 miles from me and she has similar symptoms to me after being bitten a week back by a bug in the garden??
Who knows?
It's a bit early in the year to see them out in force yet (or a bit cold) but they're definitely out there.

You do need to push for blood cultures to identify it as Lymes as the antibiotics are different and for a longer period. Your quack won't know you're the outdoors type and even if you tell them they won't necessarily think Lymes anyway.
Although she had heard of it before, my quack had to research Lymes to understand what it was.

If only the hip/back pain would go away I'd class myself as fit again (although that could have more to do with the Lumber Puncture).

Stay safe people!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I had a couple on my trip out in April up on the Scottish west coast, one little nymph and a good one embedded in my calf which needed the Otom.

Evil little sods which do nothing else but make lives miserable

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
hope you guys who contacted lymes make a good recovery, my first ever tick was picked up in the lake district since then i have become ocd about them,when im out im constantly checking, if im going through dense braken etc on a trip my clothes are covered in permethrin, i carry a tick lasso and a tick twister, infact ive kinda changed the whole way a get out and about due to them,years ago before i knew about them id crawl or camp in or through any vegation not anymore, i even check my kids when theyve been out playing, ive got a small bit of woodland that backs on to my garden, and ive had roe,hare,pheasant,hedgehog,and fox all come through it and into my garden, the hedgehog had a tick on its leg when i showed it the kids, so they are here and im not taking chances.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HWMBLT was up walking near Aviemore yesterday, and he found five ticks when he was in the shower :sigh:

He said it was pretty open pine and birch forest he was walking, and even the bracken wasn't really up yet.

M

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
My GP fully admitted she would never have picked it up if I hadn't requested they look for it.
She had to research the subject herself and admitted she has learnt a lot.
Various markers in your blood test can indicate Lymes but 100% diagnosis is made from blood tests taken 6 weeks after onset of first symptoms.

It does look as if the infected tick population is covering a larger part of the country than before IMO.
My daughter came home with a tick last week picked up in the school playing field and a neighbour picked up a few from her garden.

We have few nasties in our countryside so I've no complaints or worries.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE