It's TICK time of year and time for a reminder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
At the risk of sounding a fool, I don't know a lot about ticks. Are they more prone in certain areas? what do they look like? how do you know if you've been bitten by one does it massively swell up or is it just like a little spot somewhere? how do you tell if it's a tick bite or just a normal spot? all the usual stuff. I've never even thought them before when being out in my local woodland. After reading the horror stories here I'm going to be constantly on the lookout! :Wow::yikes::AR15firin

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
At the risk of sounding a fool, I don't know a lot about ticks. Are they more prone in certain areas? what do they look like? how do you know if you've been bitten by one does it massively swell up or is it just like a little spot somewhere? how do you tell if it's a tick bite or just a normal spot? all the usual stuff. I've never even thought them before when being out in my local woodland. After reading the horror stories here I'm going to be constantly on the lookout! :Wow::yikes::AR15firin

They will mainly be in grasses and ferns but also in gardens, parks etc. Also more abundant in places with large game. They look like little spiders. It shouldn't swell up massivly but it will sometimes be itchy. You just have to check yourself everywere. (That does include everywhere!) You'll know it's not a normal spot because there will be a tick hanging from your skin.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Bushcraftsman,

Have a wee read HERE On that page of general info there's links to downloadable leaflets. Some decent info there.

ATB,
GB.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Incredible that theres so many.

I have had a few ticks from long grass, stuck fast in my legs like little computer chips. Is removing them with fire and finger nails bad ? Or meths ? I did find myself taking veryy serious hospital grade antibiotics 6 months later for almost respatory failure, but then again I smoke. From the sounds of the media articles above a heavy dose of anti biotics seems sensible to all who start feeling queezy for the wellbeing.

So it is very serious Goatboy.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Indeed. If the tick gets stressed out too much by fire or meths I understand it can actually vomit it's stomach contents into your blood causing infection.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Incredible that theres so many.

I have had a few ticks from long grass, stuck fast in my legs like little computer chips. Is removing them with fire and finger nails bad ? Or meths ? I did find myself taking veryy serious hospital grade antibiotics 6 months later for almost respatory failure, but then again I smoke. From the sounds of the media articles above a heavy dose of anti biotics seems sensible to all who start feeling queezy for the wellbeing.

So it is very serious Goatboy.

Pretty serious, though I feel like I'm banging on about it here. But maybe we need that to get how serious it can be. That's me been sick for over 5 years now. It's attacked the heart muscle and weakened it so heart failure was the diagnosis. This causes all sorts of other problems as my heart was operating at about 25% efficiency. Basically your body doesn't have the blood flow to do all the things you need to do like process food and fluid so you swell up (I lost a stone in weight on admittance to hospital in an HOUR when they pumped me with diuretics. That's 6.35 litres) Due to reduced blood flow and secondary infections it's also knackered my hip joint which will now have to be replaced. But we had to get the pacemaker all sorted out first and so far it seems to be working. There are all sorts of other horrible things like cellulitis which I won't go into for the squeamish. So check for ticks (I always did but must've missed one) and remember they can be in the park or a garden too. Not just up the hills in long bracken.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
so is that even if you remove the tick with tick removers, it won't stop the disease ?

And goatboy, how long did you feel unwell for ?

The antibios I got given killed all the bacteria in my gut, first time I'd ever had that ! Makes me wonder. I was coughing up blood and struggling for breath during coughing fits.

Edit. Long time later.

I have just found out that lymes disease is more commonly spread 48 hours in after embedding itself. It can occour within 4 hours or even earlier, but its worth checking yourself morning noon and night and removing them as quickly as possible. The ones I had where on my legs unger my trousers.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Living in Leeds I don't expect it's a common complaint so I wasn't too put out, but if you're travelling to areas where it's rife then it's up to you to get it checked properly.
North York Moors is a Lyme disease hotspot.

The international Lyme disease conference was hosted in York a few years ago. Bloody disease is getting everywhere. I know of one person who contracted lymes when in lancashire.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I know all too well.
On April 8th I had 10 days doing north Yorks, Lancashire, Lake District and Snowdonia. I picked up mine from one of these places.
It's only Wilts I missed as far as hotspots go.

franglais

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2013
France
As someone who has been infected by Lymes disease I can't stress how important it is to have a blood test if you have been bitten. Symptoms are varied and numerous but it's easily treated by antibiotics if caught in the early stages, my treatment involved 21 injections of antibiotics as it was slightly advanced, but caught quickly antibiotic pills are all that are needed.
Early symptoms include lethargy, joint pain, feeling dizzy and general irritability, it is often misdiagnosed as clinical depression or ME in the UK due to the ignorance of the medical profession, if your feeling unwell after a tick bite, don't dismiss it as a touch of flu or just feeling run down, I'm just glad I live in France where they are very aware and proactive about Lymes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE