Brrrrrr! A test of skill and patience....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
It's cold and wet. Rained hard for about an hour last night to. After a nice slow and steady start to the day the wife decided that she wanted some peace and quiet, so me and the little ones were banished to the forest......

I packed my hip pack with extra hot chocolate and some goodies for the kids. We started exploring the forest floor and came across these mushrooms. I really must start carrying my mushroom ID book as I really have no idea what the majority of mushrooms are when I see them. These were found in large clusters in deciduous woodland in damp ground.

4e10ce542fd76f27b7fdda7f595e33e1.jpg

fd773416a7046df5b51256ec8f0c225a.jpg

From then on we followed an old overgrown forest track, climbing over logs and looking at many things, bugs, leaves and more fungi. The lad was chuffed to find a white fungi on the underside of a fallen ash, which when he touched it, it turned to mush and was very slimy!

Out of the gloom emerged this hut.
8f83c214d903e2b3aac1d635d0364ef9.jpg

8b37f27945361dd82303d3a8b18f9ebe.jpg

It was boarded up and locked with a very old padlock. Would of been interesting to see inside but we were content to walk around it, finding a hole in the wall for a wood burner flue.

A little while later, the wind picked up a bit so we decided it was hot chocolate time. My oldest picked the rest site so I began to put up the JervenBag, hunter style. This is a small shelter design, meant for a curled up hunter in bad weather, the design providing protection from the wind and rain on three aspects and from the ground. It's a tight place for an adult and two children, but with a small fire out front it reflects the heat very well. The kids helped with the pegs. My lad started throwing his pegs all over the place, which delayed proceedings and started to test my patience..... it was cold and the wind was biting. I wanted that shelter up quick. I would of been quicker doing it on my own but it's important that my kids learn that these things don't just happen and they should take part of the responsibility it caring for each other. Eventually, the tarp was up. They started whinging for hot chocolate but I didn't have a fire sorted yet and materials needed collecting. I gave them both a chocolate bar to keep them quiet and set about getting the fire lit. In the mean time, I heated up a cup of water on a small gas stove for the hot chocolate. A short while later, we were comfortable.

50f2b089e8bafde8f384bdd552f15c9b.jpg

Hot drinks for the little ones served I was contemplating a coffee. The dog had bimbled off and I couldn't see her. Leaving the kids in the shelter I went looking for her. Less than 20m away she was digging like a dog possessed at a tree stump. God knows why but she was covered in soil and enjoying herself. I got her attention and we walked back to the warmth of the fire. Then I spied my hot drink, still stuck to the tree....

48a7637515403c052cf69236fca747ac.jpg

Yup! Chaga! I prised off a lump and left the rest on the tree. I may return in the future so I will remember it and anyway, I don't need it all. Best to let someone else come across this gem and have the pleasure of it to.

I stuck my cup in the flames and brought more water to the boil, propping my chaga lump straight in. I stirred it every now and then while the kids tussled over a small inflatable camping pillow. Once the brew was nice and black I took it off the heat and left it to cool off just a bit. The small fire really was doing the trick in my little shelter and we were all toasty warm.

418610a49fa97708419b62324a7f7fa2.jpg

The kids were soon laid down on their coats nice and quiet. I lay on my side, sipping my tea, listening to to the wind in the trees. Before too long it was time to head home. The little ones put their coats back on and went exploring while daddy was left to pack up and clear the fire site. Eventually I managed to herd up the kids and the dog and stomped back through the forest to the car. We found this beautiful mushroom on the way back......

614a765f4e8b0338d16aab6f9963ac8f.jpg

Back in time for Sunday dinner!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Nice ! It's always nice to know them ! 2 of 4 seasons there are always mushrooms here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You went out with the kids. Did kid things. Thank you. 30 years will skip by and one will call
and remind you of this outing, like my D2 did this morning!

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Awesome - I liked reading that one as well. Makes me wish there were more hours in a day.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
What tree is that ? (where the chaga is grown)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is a silver birch tree. I believe it is also called a white birch in some places....

I had real trouble finding and identifying chaga for some years. But after I found my first ever specimen, I am now confident time find and identify this awesome fungi.

In my experience (I may be wrong, so don't quote me!) Chaga is found on birch and is quite common in certain environments. I have been mostly successful in finding chaga on birch that grows in low ground, near fresh water. Damaged trees seem to be the best to look for. Always look up when hunting chaga. You will mostly find it above head hight, although I have also found it low down near the ground, like the one in this post.

Tools for the job? If you only want a small lump, you can kick a bit off with your boot, or hit it with a stick. If you want to harvest the whole chaga, a strong knife will do the job, but an axe is the most efficient tool. A pocket folding saw is handy for a clean cut, but not essential.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I feel rather guilty now... this year I haven't taken my little ones out and about other than a day trip to Robin Hood Bay.

Looks like you've had a great day out, I think tomorrow I better get my kit and take the kids to the woods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE