Plantain biscuits....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
We're off out to the woods in a bit to collect plantain seed for making some kind of biscuit.
When we get back im thinking of washing them to try and get rid of the husks then grind
the crap out of them with a pestle and mortar (or my newly made saddle quern) then form
into biscuits and bake.

The camera is coming as well :)

Andy >>>>>----------------------------------<>

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
We're off out to the woods in a bit to collect plantain seed for making some kind of biscuit.
When we get back im thinking of washing them to try and get rid of the husks then grind
the crap out of them with a pestle and mortar (or my newly made saddle quern) then form
into biscuits and bake.

Excellent Andy, Ill be watching this thread intently. All the plantain seeds where I live have already dispersed.

Out of interest, is it Ribwort, or Greater Plantain, and can you post lots of picys mate.

Cheers.
Stu.

into biscuits and bake.

My first thought was 'what the heck is a saddle quern?'. My second thought was to look on the interwebby thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quern-stone
http://www.swanseaheritage.net/article/gat.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33&PRIMARY_THEME_ID=5

Hmmmm. Interesting.

Mungo

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I use a saddle quern at work and it's really effective :cool: I've got a big mortar and pestle that sits on the kitchen floor for stuff like this at home, and size does make a difference. If you can find sandstone it hollows out quickly enough with a bit of granite to make a pretty useful quern in no time.

cheers,
Toddy

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
The biscuits are made and the pics have been taken. Just reducing the file sizes so they
load quicker. I made three types, plain, with salt, and with honey. The plain ones are just that, very bland tasting, ok if you have nothing else i spose. The salty ones are better tasting, gives your mouth something to think about while your chewing. The honey ones are the best! I guess they're the neolithic equivalent of digestives. The kids would only eat the honey ones, saying the others were awfull.

Anyway, i'll try and get the pix on here later :)

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
autumn%20plantain%20seeds%202%20sep%202008.jpg

This is what we started with, 11oz of mixed plantain.

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
So, there you go. Kind of bushcrafty :)

I'll definately try cooking them in the embers of a fire. I just reckon it could help flavour them more. I used seed that was still green/purple as well as seed that was brown and ready. When grinding it it goes really sticky and slippery from the starch being released.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I reckon on a flat hot stone by the fire would give you some very nice treats! Got to find a dog wee free patch of plantain to gather up and try.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE